main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why didn't Qui-Gon ask that Dooku train Anakin?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by Darth Sin, Feb 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Sin

Darth Sin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 14, 1999
    Now of course I know many will answer this thread's question with: Because Dooku had not been thought of by Lucas at the time, or at least him being Qui-Gon's master.

But for the sake of the story, and discussion, why would not Qui-Gon have considered his former master, Dooku to train Anakin at his death?

Sure it could be said because Obi-Wan is right there at the moment, and they were close as Master and Apprentice, but he could have well have told Obi-Wan in his dying moments, "My master Dooku, he must train the boy"

Imagine if this had been the case, and Obi-Wan decided to go against Qui-Gon and train Anakin himself.

But again, why wouldn't Qui-Gon request his master train Anakin? Dooku was still a Jedi at the time, and who better to have train someone than your own master.

I wonder how the Council would have reacted to this request??

Darth Sin! :cool:

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Fallen_Jedi21

Fallen_Jedi21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 22, 2004
    1) Dooku hadn't been invented yet

2) If Obi-Wan didn't train him, then the continuity would have really been screwed up.

3. Ghost_Jedi

Ghost_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 27, 2003
    It almost seems that somehow QGJ has lost contact w/ Dooku. Think about it: QGJ has been w/ Obi 24/7 the past 10 or so years, and he never met Dooku. Kinda odd, isn't it.

4. DarthyMarkyMark

DarthyMarkyMark Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2003
    Perhaps Qui-Gon didn't always agree with Dooku's methods? ;)

5. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    EU-wise, I've heard that the novels regarding Qui Gon's youth seem to suggest the bond he had with his master, Dooku, wasn't particularly strong or emotionally powerful. They almost seemed estranged. But I never liked that explanation, so here's another one - After decades of having moved on, as well as Dooku having left the Order some time back, it's not surprising to think that Qui Gon wouldn't have immediately thought of Dooku as an alternative - because he wasn't one! I think Qui Gon wanted Anakin in the Order for the sake of fulfilling the prophecy, despite his vague threats to train him no matter what. Since Dooku had long since left, it was pointless to mention him. Besides, who would you entrust Anakin to more? Your wayward former master or the soon-to-be-knighted Padawan whom you love like a son and can entrust to not only fulfill the promise, but has the ability to immediately plunge Anakin into the years of training he's already missed.

6. GonkLord

GonkLord Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 20, 2003
    Yoda was always the logical choice to train Anakin, IMHO, opinion. Qui gon's choice of himself as the Chosen One's trainer was out of defiance of Yoda and the Council.
    In the Visual Dictionary, yeah, EU, I know, it stated that Obi-wan is Qui gon's third apprentice. I suspect that while Qui gon respected his former Master, they were not close at all.

One sidenote, as while Yoda seems to train a great deal of the Younglings, and it would explain his calling Dooku his former Padawan; was Dooku actually apprenticed to Yoda? I guess that's for the AOTC forum, really.

7. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    Dooku may have been retired from training? Also, seems like they hardly kept in contact. Qui-Gon was dying them and there, I doubt he was going to rummage through his little black book when a perfectly wise, and capable Jedi was right there.

8. Chaotic_Serenity

Oct 10, 2004
    Yoda was always the logical choice to train Anakin, IMHO, opinion. Qui gon's choice of himself as the Chosen One's trainer was out of defiance of Yoda and the Council.

Not exactly. Qui Gon's choice of himself was a last ditch effort to get Anakin trained at all. Even given to another master, Anakin's association with Yoda would have been fairly brief. Yoda's main teaching focused on training the children - Anakin was past the stage. He would have immediately moved onto a personal master and taken on as a Padawan.

9. obiwanscountess

obiwanscountess Jedi Youngling

Jan 28, 2005
    Maybe he was trying to make it up to Obiwan cause he didntlisten to him before and this was kind of a way of saying I think your going to be the best Jedi knight ever so train Anakin cause hes going to be a tough one.

10. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Since Dooku had long since left, it was pointless to mention him.

I believe Dooku left the order around the time of TPM. You seem to know a bit about it though, Serenity, so correct me if I'm wrong.

Star Wars is six, two and one
    /LM

11. Wesyeed

Wesyeed Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 5, 2005
    He believe Obiwan was "a much wiser man" than he was and forsaw that he would become a great jedi knight. And I guess the force told him to do it as we will learn in Rots. Plus Dooku didn't exist.

12. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Jocasta Nu says in AOTC that Dooku left the Order ten years ago. That is very close to TPM. If Dooku left the Order after TPM he would surely be mentioned.

Lets say Qui-Gon asked the Council or Obi-Wan about Dooku training Anakin, how would Lucas combine that with the OT?!?

13. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    Lets say Qui-Gon asked the Council or Obi-Wan about Dooku training Anakin, how would Lucas combine that with the OT?!?

Dooku'd refuse, and Obi Wan would still take it upon himself to train the boy

14. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    In my opinion Dooku had been invented. They might not have cast him, but Lucas did come up with an outline of the prequels before filming The Phantom Menace. It would be insane to film the first movie in a trilogy without having the story to the other two movies.

Obi-Wan knew Anakin and was most loyal to his master. He is the most logical choice for the job.

It would seem rather foolish to have this scene,
    Jinn: Obi-Wan, promise me....promise me you will give the following message to Dooku. "Dooku please train Anakin Skywalker." Give it to him at once.
    Obi-Wan: Yes Master, I promise.

-Seldon

15. darthsith19

darthsith19 Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2004
    1. Obi-Wan's a young Jedi Knight who has many years ahead of him and needs to train an Apprentice to become a Jedi Master.
    2. Tyranus's really old and might die before Anakin becomes a Knight and the Chosen One's training should be good, which means 1 master the whole time.
    3. Dooku may have already left the order.
    4. The only reason Anakin is trained is because Obi-Wan trains him because of Qui-Gon's dying death wish. Since the Council didn't want Anakin to be trained, no one but Obi-Wan, with Qui-Gon's dying wish, would train Anakin against the Council's decision.

16. obi1jedinite

obi1jedinite Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 20, 2002
    the jedi council didnt want anakin trained because they feared what lay in his future, and they thought he was too old. they changed their minds after the battle of naboo, when anakin helped bring victory against the federation and save the planet, not because it was qui-gon's dying wish. obi-wan agreed to train anakin because of qui-gon's dying wish, but he was still wary of the boy and his future as the chosen one. yoda was the only one on the council not blinded by anakin's talents, he still saw the danger the lurked ahead even after the battle but the council went against his advice, something that rarely happened.

17. openmind

openmind Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Seldon's got it. :D

18. Darth Kruel

Darth Kruel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    Because Qui-Gon was dying and Obi-Wan was the only person he could talk to before his last breath. Obi-Wan knew the boy as well, and it was the perfect fit for Anakin to learn from Qui-Gon's apprentice.

19. Chaotic_Serenity

Oct 10, 2004
    Ah, I thought it was twenty years ago. My mistake. Still, if he left ten years ago, he was either already rumored to be leaving or had left, so he was out for a choice. Additionally, I think Dooku would have refused since his mind seemed settled on the matter.

20. DarthJohnkenobi

DarthJohnkenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 13, 2004
    2) If Obi-Wan didn't train him, then the continuity would have really been screwed up.

It's amazing how the majority of this thread have ignored the correct answer. I'm certian Dooku did not exist in 1977 but Kenobi did. He said he trained Darth Vader whom we all found out was Anakin.

Dooku'd refuse, and Obi Wan would still take it upon himself to train the boy

So where exactly would you put this scene? At the end of Ep I? Kind of would've killed the ending don't you think? Introduce a character that hadn't even been mentioned during the movie? At the beginning of Ep II? Maybe show a young Obi and Dooku talking, Dooku says no, than flash forward 10 yrs w/no exposition? Star Wars fans have a had enough time understanding time lapse in these movies and you want to confuse them more?

21. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    I don't think DooKu was close enough for Qui-Gon to ask as he was dying in Obi-Wan's arms.

22. Darth_Skywalker85

Darth_Skywalker85 Jedi Youngling

Feb 9, 2005
    Dooku was distancing himself from the order, and I think Qui-Gon knew this. Plus, Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan were closer at the time, both physically and mentally.

23. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    I've always gotten the feeling that Qui-Gon didn't agree with his master on alot of things. Dooku may have been a maverick as well, but not in the same cast as Qui-Gon is. Dooku's journey leads nowhere. Qui-Gon's journey may yet turn out differently. ;)

24. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I'm sure the Council would frown on someone who was expelled from the Order taking a Padawan.They would probably think that Dooku was trying to teach Anakin Dark Side ways.

25. The_Jedi_Will_Die

The_Jedi_Will_Die Jedi Youngling

Feb 8, 2005
    I would have been rather harsh for Qui-Gon to have dissed Obi-Wan by suggesting that he wasn't good enough to train Anakin, especially seen as it was his dying words.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.