main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why didn't Qui-Gon just TAKE Shmi?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darth Valkyrus, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Of course it does...

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  2. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    The others; including Padme, have no excuse.
    ----------

I agree with this.

Watto seems to dote on money,

He would have had his price for Shmi,

I can't believe that the Jedi didn't huddle together and have a conversation that went a little like this

Mace: so Skywalker saved a lot of lives today, many gungans lives

Ki-Adi: maybe, we can free his mother, since I sensed his thoughts dwelled on her too much, plus it would be a nice thing to do

Yoda: would also stop some of the fear growing inside young skywalker it might. Hmm, arrange for her freedom I will.

Not to mention Padme:

former queen turned senator, had a great big house and seemed comfortably off even outside office. I'm sure she could have helped somewhat in Shmi's freedom.

As it comes off it does seem rather cold of all of them to leave her stranded like that. But Qui-Gon not freeing her there and then I've no problem with, perhaps if he survived he would have kicked the councill's backsides into doing something about it.

3. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Pretty sure just taking her would have triggered the anti-escape device that she and Anakin mention.

And why would the Jedi free her, anyways? She was the least of their concerns at the time.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  4. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013

Instead they said, tough break about your slave mom kid!

janstett likes this.
  5. Chainmail_Jedi

Chainmail_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 26, 2013
    for what it's worth, the fact that these clones were essentially slaves was never raised as a concern by any Jedi on screen.

6. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    Pretty sure just taking her would have triggered the anti-escape device that she and Anakin mention.

And why would the Jedi free her, anyways? She was the least of their concerns at the time.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

not if they arranged the release, the anti-escape would de deactivated.

why would the Jedi free her?

lets see

1. "your thoughts dwell on your mother"

"I miss her"

"Afraid to lose her I think"

"what has that got to do with anything?"

"EVERYTHING!!!"

"oh we might aswell release her then huh? you know kid here, possibly concieved by midis, prophecy etc, yeah, no harm in sending a few thousand credits out to this junk dealer, for peace of mind no?"

2. would be a nice thing to do.

"I miss my mom, still in slavey"

"sorry kid, now heres your training lightsaber, lesson number one, don't care about anyone hip hip"

anyway, I still think it would have been nice if Padme had done something..

Captain Tom Coughlin likes this.
  7. Theron Solo

Theron Solo Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    I always thought this and it always pissed me off. Why he didn't just take her is beyond me....watto could of been wiped out for all I care.

8. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    It is a gaping plot hole.

9. Darth smaug

Darth smaug Jedi Youngling

Jun 11, 2013
    She had a freaking chip that would kill her he couldn't just take her

10. janstett

janstett Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2004
    He could have purchased her and freed her.

He could have traded the fancy pants Naboo skiff with a broken hyperdrive motivator for a less fancy ship that still worked and a slave.

11. Master Elaine Nega

Master Elaine Nega Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 30, 2013
    And then the Queen probably would' ve gotten into the clutches of some criminals? Also, it was said that slaves were blown up in case they were trying to escape.

12. janstett

May 29, 2004
    Don't worry too much, they did nothing about anything... Like investigating the incident at Naboo. I think the entire galaxy has long term memory loss.

13. janstett

May 29, 2004
    If he won Anakin's freedom and Shmi is part of the trade on the less fancy ship, why would they get blown up?

14. janstett

May 29, 2004
    Move on with her life? Go to school? Work at fatso four-arms' diner?

15. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    It seems to me that Watto wasn't willing to sell her.

He was originally willing to bet Anakin (the far more valuable of the two slaves) against the pod. Yet when Qui-Gon (after the race) tries to free Shmi, he says "Watto wouldn't have it" and instead Qui-Gon ends up selling the pod and giving the money to Shmi to do with what she can.

I don't think Watto was willing to deal with them after Qui-Gon had "caused" him to lose everything.

16. janstett

May 29, 2004
    Anakin: They (the Sith) think inward, only about themselves
    Palpatine: And the Jedi don't?

You might be right, maybe Lucas deserves more credit...

17. janstett

May 29, 2004
    He sold her to Clieg Lars...

18. PiettsHat

Jan 1, 2011
    Yeah, but Cliegg Lars had nothing to do with Watto being humiliated and losing so much, right? Watto, I can imagine, wouldn't want to cooperate with Qui-Gon out of pure spite after all the losses he "suffered" at his hands.

19. janstett

May 29, 2004
    Watto is a businessman, he would have cried over his bags of money. These are slaves, not even pets. They are possessions. He gambled Anakin and sold Shmi later, so obviously they don't mean much to him. Maybe he could even extract some measure of revenge by overcharging his price for Shmi.

Watto had his price, if the Jedi would have paid it...

20. janstett

May 29, 2004
    You mean the Queen that was running around on Tattooine with a drunk Jedi, a slow moving droid, and a cartoon rabbit, anyway? Yeah, it's a big concern keeping the queen safe.

And again if they bought Shmi why would she be blown up?

21. PiettsHat

Jan 1, 2011
    I don't think so in this case. Unfortunately, people aren't always rational agents. I can imagine that, after feeling humiliated by Qui-Gon, Watto would likely be feeling some degree of animosity towards him. It would probably have been wise (in terms of business) to sell Shmi to him, but out of petty revenge, he wouldn't want to.

Plus, this ignores the fact that Qui-Gon flat out says "I tried to free your mother, but Watto wouldn't have it" so...

22. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It's interesting to see in Tatooine Ghost just what happened to Shmi between TPM and AoTC.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  23. Master Elaine Nega

Master Elaine Nega Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 30, 2013
    Again, there are Sand People and other hostile things out there! Also, Panaka expressed his disagreement about them landing on Tatooine because the Hutts might' ve discovered her.
    And wasn' t it clear enough? They barely had money for parts, I don' t think they had enough to buy Shmi as well. Also, wasn' t it Qui - Gon who made a treaty with Watto that he will keep all the winnings minus the cost to the parts he needed?

24. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    He gambled Anakin on Sebulba because he thought there was no chance of him winning. Anakin seemed to be his most valuable possession and he knew that.

25. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    I'm still having a hard time understanding why the Jedi would purchase Shmi from Watto. Doing so would be pointless, especially since Anakin was the sole purpose of Qui-Gon's deal. Although he wanted to free both of them, he seemed perfectly fine getting Anakin out of the whole thing and then let Anakin give Shmi the money from the pod.

And about Watto selling Shmi to Cliegg Lars, perhaps not having Anakin around forced his hand financially so that he would have to sell her.