main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Why didn't Qui Gon not take other options on Tatooine?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by DarthTalonx, Dec 1, 2014.

1. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Watto did have options. He'd blow Shmi up.

2. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    To easy but the Hutts & Jedi would have got involved I don't think he wanted that type of attention. He might play his last chance cube blue live red die

3. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Why would the Hutts get involved? They're not interested in someone purchasing or freeing their slaves, so long as no shenanigans was going on. Case in point, Watto refused to free Anakin and hand over the hyperdrive because he lost. Qui-gon suggested going to see Jabba and Gardulla, the former of whom would not be pleased that someone welshed on a bet. Blowing up Shmi was within Watto's rights, so he could do so at any time he wished.

4. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    I admit I love how specific your being in terms of the weaponry.

Qui-Gon messsages Obi-Wan: "There is a junk dealer here who has the parts we need, we'll need to kill him using our lightsabers."

5. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    Luke: "I can't do it. I can't kill my own father."
    Ben: "You MUST kill him using your lightsaber."

6. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    Yoda: "With our lightsabers, destroy the Sith we must."

Can we make a thread about this please??

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  7. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    "I should have known the Jedi were plotting to take over with their lightsabers!"

8. greggalan254

greggalan254 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 1, 2014
    Mind tricks don't work on Watto...
    Qui Gon was quite willing to bend the rules but probably realised later in the film that using mind tricks was counter-productive in the long run (when he ruled out using Jedi powers to help the queen negotiate with the Gungans)

General... Prepare your troops for a surface attack!

9. greggalan254

Dec 1, 2014

10. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    A Somewhat Anakin quote:)

11. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I think Qui-Gon explains his actions pretty well in the movie:

"Remember; Concentrate on the moment. Feel, don't think. Use your instincts."

"Nothing happens by accident."

"Finding him was the will of the Force. I have no doubt of that."

Andy Wylde and Iron_lord like this.
  12. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

Ben said Luke must be willing to kill the Sith, in order to save the universe. He didn't say he had to.

And Luke was willing. But he decided not to anyway. And that's what saved the universe.

Andy Wylde and Cael-Fenton like this.
  13. MatthewZ

MatthewZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003
    I wonder if say, a supple young handmaiden would net you a T-14 Hyperdrive on Tatooine.

sarlaccsaurs-rex and DarthTalonx like this.
  14. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    Padme: You can't do this to me, Jedi! I am the Queen! Guards, arrest this man! Using our blasters!

15. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    The Sith: a sect of Force-sensitives who utilized the dark side of the Force.

16. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Obi-wan didn't tell Luke to kill Vader, but he let him know that if he didn't confront Vader, then all would be lost. He lets Luke figure it out on his own how to proceed. He is also trying to explain to Luke that he must be willing to let go of his attachment to his father.

17. DarthTalonx

DarthTalonx Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2014
    Indeed. Why not trick Watto and steal the parts though? Conduct a night time raid and leave whatever valuables you do have as a sign of good faith.

18. DarthTalonx

Nov 12, 2014
    Quite so!! If not one, then they have a handful of lovely handmaidens aboard the ship. Surely those as lovey as Padme, etc. would be worth at least one hyperdrive!! The pitch would be, you wouldn't find any finer dancer girls in the sector.

19. DarthTalonx

Nov 12, 2014
    Good points.

Thing is Qui Gon didn't seem to hesitate using a Jedi mind trick on the Gungan council to get what he needed. I mean technically that could be construed as having conned them out of both a ship and a slave. The repercussions of acquiring the latter would prove disastrous years later.. when said Gungan made a bold speech in the Galactic Senate to grant emergency powers to a certain Chancellor..

So why can he not mind trick/steal the parts required? Or else, use these abilities to acquire any ship or access another ship's communications array to dispatch a Jedi 913 emergency transmission directly to the Jedi Temple.

Even if the mission does not succeed, Obi Wan and Qui Gon as Jedi will have to get off the planet someday. Would they not request help from the rest of the Jedi Order? Why can they not contact them? Is the Trade Federation capable of monitoring communication from the Jedi Temple? This does not appear to be a capability in the Clone Wars, since Temple transmissions are sent directly from a Jedi beacon, not on the regular Holonet.

20. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

Jedi are not thieves.

Qui-gon attempted the mind trick because it was an expeditious way of getting the bartering completed. Just as he used it on Boss Nass to get end the meeting and get on their way. But that's as far as a Jedi can go with their mandate and skills. Anything else is immoral.

He cannot manipulate Watto because he was a Toydarian and not manipulated easily. And we've discussed stealing. And sending a message that would be found, resulting in being captured and killed by either the Hutts or the Federation.

It can be detected from Tatooine and they do get off the planet thanks to Anakin. So they get the job done through him.

21. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    If you expect Qui-Gon to sell a woman into slavery in order to get parts for a ship, parts he was clearly able to barter without risk to anyone (except Anakin's) safety, you don't understand the underlying concept of being a Jedi.

22. DarthTalonx

Nov 12, 2014
    I think it was joke! Although I am sure Padme and her handmaidens would have had Jabba the Hutt showering the Jedi with gold and dozens of spare parts for an exchange.

I'm not sure that the TF at this point could intercept Jedi communications. Even during ROTS, no one appears able to monitor direct Jedi to Jedi communications as they use Jedi beacons. One has to actually be in at the Jedi Temple to do so (according to Rise of Darth Vader) and was how the Empire tried to track down any survivors of Order 66. Note how Obi Wan is able to send a 913 emergency transmission in ROTS.

The TF might have been able to monitor Holonet or Republic transmissions as seen in TPM and possibly AOTC when Obi Wan transmits to the Chancellor's office on Republic channels.

And does it matter? If Qui Gon had spoken directly to the Temple, it is likely that they would have immediately dispatched a fully functional ship and kept this information quiet. Possibly additional Jedi might also have been sent given the fact that the Order was not overstretched at all at this point in time. Even if the Jedi ship had not rescued the entire entourage before Maul somehow received information of their location, Maul would have been up against multiple Jedi.

In any case, it seems that they do not have the capacity to monitor Jedi transmissions unless said Jedi are utilising Republic Holonet channels.

It seems that technology takes a leap between TPM and AOTC?

23. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    Lol where did that second quote come from? I didn't say that.

- And sorry, I coudln't tell that you were joking. You say a lot of things that some would consider..unnatural.

24. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    The point in ROTS is to lure the Jedi into a trap, rather than trying to hunt them down. Makes things easier. Once Obi-wan's message was discovered, Vader and the Inquisitor lead the manhunt for the Jedi stragglers. Also, as I said, Obi-wan was in space when he used the beacon. Capable of jumping to lightspeed to keep his location from being fixed. It's a little different with a ship that has no hyperdrive. ​
    Qui-gon doesn't know about Maul, yet. He does know about the Hutts and the Federation has already proven it is willing to go against rules and regulations. That's why he tells Obi-wan to make sure no messages are sent out, he doesn't want anyone looking for them. ​

25. greggalan254

Dec 1, 2014
    I still think Qui Gon could have worked something out... Without murdering and stealing.