main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why didn't Qui-Gon sell Jar Jar??

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by scuiggefest, Aug 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scuiggefest

scuiggefest Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2002
    WATTO: No pod is worth too slaves!!!! Not by a long shot!!

When I first saw it I thought Qui-Gon would say

Then I'll throw in this Gungan.

But instead he says

The boy then.

Why does he keep Jar Jar around?? Every time I watch it I think he should have sold him.

2. Loco_for_Lucas

Loco_for_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 15, 2002
    "The Gungan? You'd have to pay me to take that thing."

3. scuiggefest

Dec 8, 2002
    Yeah I know but I don't see why Qui-Gon didn't even consider it. He could have said.

"I have a slave that I'd trade"

and not mention who it is until later.

In any case Jar Jar would have been worth something to someone he'd just have to find the right buyer.

4. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    Qui-Gon wouldn't do that, as much as he blends in with the environment he wouldn't do that.

besides, IMO watto would think qui-gon was not in his right frame of mind having a gungan for a slave

5. KosmicKnine

KosmicKnine Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    Qui-Gon worked to keep Jar Jar from being punished, why in the world would he then turn around and sell Jar Jar into slavery?

"Hello, I'm Qui-Gon Jinn. I'll be nice to you now so I can be mean to you later."

Uh, nope.

Qui-Gon's a Jedi, ruled by compassion. And anyone guided by compassion would never sell someone into slavery.

6. The_Anakin_Wannabe

The_Anakin_Wannabe Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2003
    Agreed. I don't think the Jedi support slavery, and thus, a Jedi would not sell a living, thinking (barely) life form.

7. Jedi_Benji

Jedi_Benji Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 2, 2002
    Jar Jar isnt worth 10 slaves, let alone 2.

Before argueing see sig :)

8. ultimatejedi90

ultimatejedi90 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 24, 2003
    because watto would give him back

9. gator

gator Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 20, 2003
    Why didn't Qui-Gon sell Jar Jar??

because he likes him

10. Grilled-Sarlacc

Grilled-Sarlacc Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 19, 2001
    The force told Qui-Gon that Jar-Jar had some role yet to play in their futures.

11. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    Jar Jar is not Qui-Gon's slave. Jar Jar owes Qui-Gon a life debt, but that doesn't make him Qui-Gon's slave.

And Qui-Gon wouldn't do such things anyway. Qui-Gon bends the rules, but he's not cruel or evil. Selling Jar Jar to Watto and leaving him alone on Tatooine would be the cruelest thing a Jedi could do. Qui-Gon didn't sell Jar Jar because they are allies. Besides, even if Jar Jar was a person Qui-Gon really, really dispised, he still wouldn't trade him for Anakin.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why Qui-Gon Jinn is an awesome character :D

12. Loco_for_Lucas

Aug 15, 2002
    As long as he got Anakin, he seemed pretty comfortable with the notion of leaving Shmi behind as a slave. He didn't even try to negotiate further, Watto was never closed to a deal, if Qui-gon had a thought, Watto would have definately listened to it if there was something to gain.

13. Padawan92

Padawan92 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2001
    And by seeing how Qui-gon fells about other life forms I don't think he would sell Jar Jar because he saw Jar Jar as a being not a thing.

14. Grizham1

Grizham1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 5, 2001
    Qui Gonn didn't even hate Watto that much to burden him with the idiotic Gungan. I wish, oh screw it, you all love stupid characters anyways, ignorance is bliss.

15. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Jar Jar is my good friend.

16. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    "Jar-Jar had some role yet to play in their futures. "

Just so long as that future role doesn't extend past Ep.II. ;)

"ignorance is bliss."

Then Jar-Jar must be blistered. :D

17. scuiggefest

Dec 8, 2002
    Jar Jar forced Qui-Gon to take him with them Qui-Gon used Jar Jar for a guide now Jar Jar has outlived his usefulness.

Qui-Gon should really have tried to get as much for Jar Jar as anyone would be willing to Pay.

18. OBIX1

OBIX1 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 7, 2002
    yeah,I mean qui-gon wouldn't sell jar-jar into slavery.that would be against the jedi code.and plus qui-gon wouldn't do it becuase it's wrong. jedi just don't do things like that :)

19. KosmicKnine

May 31, 2002
    Jar Jar forced Qui-Gon to take him with them....

Exactly how did Jar Jar force Qui-Gon to use a Mindtrick on Boss Nass to free Jar Jar? Qui-Gon could have just as quickly decided to leave Jar Jar in Otoh Gunga, but he didn't. Instead, Qui-Gon chose to act out of compassion and help this oddball gungan that sacrificed his freedom to help the Jedi reach the city. Jar Jar didn't force Qui-Gon to do anything.

20. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    As long as he got Anakin, he seemed pretty comfortable with the notion of leaving Shmi behind as a slave. He didn't even try to negotiate further, Watto was never closed to a deal, if Qui-gon had a thought, Watto would have definately listened to it if there was something to gain.

What could Watto have possibly gained? He just lost all of his bets (which I assume made him flat broke for quite some time) and lost one of his slaves. What could Qui-Gon have offered that would give Watto something to gain?

Jar Jar forced Qui-Gon to take him with them Qui-Gon used Jar Jar for a guide now Jar Jar has outlived his usefulness.

That doesn't make any sense. Jar Jar didn't force Qui-Gon to take him with them. He only asked Qui-Gon to help save him from being punished by Boss Nass. He didn't "command" Qui-Gon to help him or take him with them, he only asked for some help to be set free. Because of this, Qui-Gon decided to take Jar Jar with them. Besides, Qui-Gon owed Jar Jar for helping them to meet with Boss Nass and get their transport to Theed.

And how exactly did Jar Jar outlive his usefulness? Without Jar Jar, the Naboo and the Gungans would never have united, thus, the Droid Army marching towards Theed wouldn't have been stopped, and if they hadn't have been stopped, Queen Amidala and her forces would probally lose the battle. And to further extend this, had Jar Jar not decided to give Palpatine emergency powers, Obi-Wan, Anakin, and Padme would have died, thus, no original trilogy. Think about it ;)

My point, Qui-Gon selling/trading Jar Jar makes no bloody sense. Qui-Gon is not a slave trader, he is not a cruel master. He's Jar Jar's friend and allie.

Think of it this way, would you sell your friend into slavery so that in return you could get a stranger? No, you wouldn't. Neither would Qui-Gon.

21. Loco_for_Lucas

Aug 15, 2002
    Didn't the droids already take Theed? The palace was already under Federation control.

22. KosmicKnine

May 31, 2002
    Didn't the droids already take Theed?

Yes, Theed was already occupied by droid troops. The purpose of the Gungan army was to draw the droid army away from the city and occupy them in order to provide room for the Queen's strike forces to maneuver throughout the city and into the capital building and hunt down the Viceroy. Qui-Gon certainly seemed impressed with this fourteen year-old's ability to draw up an assault plan. :)

23. scuiggefest

Dec 8, 2002
    No listen!! Jar Jar forced Qui-Gon to take him by tackling Qui-Gon in the swamp. Then he just wouldn't go away. Then later Qui-Gon saved Jar Jar from being executed because he's not that heartless. And if Jar Jar hadn't told Padme about the Gungan's army they would have stayed on Coruscant where it's safe. and Qui-Gon wouldn't have died!!! The question is whether or not Qui-Gon could have actually found someone willing to take Jar Jar.

24. Loco_for_Lucas

Aug 15, 2002
    Qui-Gon certainly seemed impressed with this fourteen year-old's ability to draw up an assault plan.

Goes to show, even a fourteen year old girl can out-plan the Jedi. :p

25. KosmicKnine

May 31, 2002
    Jar Jar forced Qui-Gon to take him by tackling Qui-Gon in the swamp.

I'd hardly call it a tackle. Tackling someone involves being out of the path of motion of another individual and purposefully moving oneself to intercept them in path of motion. Jar Jar just stood up and freaked out; he didn't move into the path Qui-Gon was running. In other words, Jar Jar made no conscious decision or followthrough action to take Qui-Gon down; he just got ran into by Qui-Gon and hung on for dear life afterward. Qui-Gon didn't attempt to *run around* Jar Jar either; he just kept running straight at him: way to use those grand Jedi evasiveness techniques!

Goes to show, even a fourteen year old girl can out-plan the Jedi.

Methinks it must not really be the Darkside that's clouding the Jedi's vision, but smoking on Oppo Ransicis's bong!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.