main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why didn't Qui-Gon sell Jar Jar??

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by scuiggefest, Aug 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthZchour

DarthZchour Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 10, 2002
    The force told Qui-Gon that Jar-Jar had some role yet to play in their futures.

Yeah, the force told him that Jar-Jar would eventually become acting Senator for Naboo and that he would make the critical decision to propose giving Palpatine emergency powers to create his own army...

Which means he is the one and only "person" responsible for creating the whole Empire problem in the first place.

Good job, Jar-Jar.

Qui Gon should've sold him to a Sushi bar.

2. openmind

openmind Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Even if Senator Amidala were in Jar Jar's shoes, she would have done the same thing. There was no escaping "emergency powers". Palpatine had rigged the situation, that there was no other choice but to propose the EP. IMHO ofcourse.

3. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    Which means he is the one and only "person" responsible for creating the whole Empire problem in the first place.

Gee, because of course Palpatine has nothing to do with it. Nor do all of the Senators who actually voted to give Palpatine powers (it din't just end with Jar Jar's speech, you know).

Jar Jar voted to give Palpatine emergency powers to get an army. The Seperatists were going to invade, Jar Jar's choice was the best possible one. No one knows that Palpatine is Sidious, remember. Jar Jar's actions managed to get an army that rescued the Jedi (including the Chosen One, who took down the Emperor in the end), and prevented a droid army from running the Republic over.

And if it hadn't been him, it would have been some other Senator.

4. Loco_for_Lucas

Loco_for_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 15, 2002
    And to think, that "Senator" would have been in a Tatooine sweatshop toiling away while being beaten on a regular basis. Oh well, one can dream. :D

5. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999

[b]Go-Mer (before:[/b] First of all Jedi do not keep other beings as property.

[b]Loco_for_Lucas:[/b] Qui-gon would not be keeping Jar Jar for himself, he'd be selling him for Shmi's freedom or maybe for pars.[hr][/blockquote]Again, he doesn't own Jar-Jar, and therefore could not sell him.[blockquote][hr][b]Go-Mer (before):[/b] Second, he is against slavery.

[b]Loco_for_Lucas:[/b] Is he? We don't really see him to care when he's told about the conditions of the slaves ("and they blow you up!") nor does he seem to care about Shmi once he got Anakin. He didn't even try to make a deal with Watto.[hr][/blockquote]He looked concerned for Anakin and Shmi when they explained how they have implants that will blow up if they run away. He also DID try to buy Shmi off Watto, but as he says in the film:

[b]Qui-Gon Jinn:[/b] "I tried to free your mother Ani, but Watto wouldn't have it."[blockquote][hr][b]Go-Mer (before):[/b] Third, he knew Jar-Jar would serve a greater purpose, even if he didn't know what that purpose would turn out to be.

[b]Loco_for_Lucas:[/b] How do you know he did?[hr][/blockquote]Because he says so in the film.

[b]Qui-Gon Jinn:[/b] "This Gungan may be of use."

6. Loco_for_Lucas

Aug 15, 2002
    Again, he doesn't own Jar-Jar, and therefore could not sell him.

He didn't own Padme's ship either, but was making dealings for it too. For the sake of the mission, right?

He looked concerned for Anakin and Shmi when they explained how they have implants that will blow up if they run away.

He barely looked it.

He also DID try to buy Shmi off Watto, but as he says in the film:

Qui-Gon Jinn: "I tried to free your mother Ani, but Watto wouldn't have it."

As I said before, he settled on the notion pretty easily. He didn't negotiate further or anything. As long as he had Anakin, Shmi didn't matter as much.

Because he says so in the film.

Qui-Gon Jinn: "This Gungan may be of use."

Was that the "will of the Force" telling him, or was he seeing potential in the hapless creature they came upon? He doesn't dignify Jar Jar with his name or anything. "This Gungan may be of use." How impersonal and disrespectful is that? If that isn't objectifying, then I don't know what is. His attitude on "lower life forms," obviously rubbed off on Obi-wan, "Why do I get the feeling we brought on another lower life form" (paraphrase); if Qui-gon clearly has such a view on life forms, why wouldn't he sell Jar Jar? It would be another use the Gungan would have "for the sake of the mission."

7. Bid4Tuna

Bid4Tuna Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 5, 2003
    if he sold jar jar who would make me laugh??

8. Loco_for_Lucas

Aug 15, 2002
  9. JediAl

JediAl Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 11, 2002
    Part 4.

Settler 1:
    Here we are. Let's go into that dive over there and see if there are any takers for this ugly being.

Settler 2: Yes let's..but don't start any fights in here..we lost last season's harvest the last time. Think before you pick a fight with merciless Bounty Hunters in future..they wiped out our farm hands the last time.

Jar Jar: Merciless? Bounty Hunters?Exsqueeze me but...
    Settler 1: Shut up!!
    Jar Jar:eek:.k..gulp!

Settlers go in. They negotiate with a freighter pilot. He doesn't look convinced. Money changes hands (Settlers to Pilot)

Settler 1: My strange friend...or whatever..you are out of here.
    The pilot looks a bit brutal..but do your job and he won't kill you I'm sure...well, almost

Jar Jar: Wattdya say? Meesa gonna die?

Pilot: Hey Toadface..get yer ass in here and clean those power cuplinks!

Stay tuned for part 5!!!!!!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.