main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Why didn't Rey recognise the Millennium Falcon?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by ggj, Oct 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ggj

ggj Jedi Youngling

Sep 15, 2017
    Hi,

A question that keeps spinning in my head since I've watched TFA when it came out is 'Why didn't Rey recognise the Millennium Falcon?'. Let me elaborate on this:

Rey lives on the planet Jakku. She works for Unkar Plutt who now owns the Millennium Falcon which is parked right behind his shop. When Rey and Finn escape Jakku they run towards a Quadjumper when Finn asks: "What about that ship?" and she replies "That ship is garbage!".

So she knows the ship well enough to know it's garbage and when they get inside she even states that "this ship hasn't flown in years". It is only until Han Solo boards the 'garbage ship' that she finds out that she's on board of the Millennium Falcon ("this is the Millenium Falcon??").

So she has clearly heard of the MF before and judging by her surprised response she seems to be happy to be on the ship. Like she's meeting one of her childhood heroes or something. Then why didn't she recognise the ship before in Unkar's junkyard? Was there never a moment when she asked herself (or someone else) 'Hey, that YT1300 over there, that wouldn't be the MF, would it?'. Because wouldn't most people in the SW universe know that the MF is a YT1300? I mean, it helped destroy the Death Star and has been in so many battles, not to mention being the fastest spaceship in the universe, Kessel Run, etc. It definitely has a name, a reputation. If people talk about it, don't they also want to know what kind of ship it is? It's the first thing you ask, right? Or am I missing out on something?

2. Aroooo-Dion

Aroooo-Dion Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 27, 2017
    Who's to say that she had any inkling as to what kind of ship the Millennium Falcon was?

3. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    How many YT-1300's are there in the galaxy? Han was a smuggler, so he'd want a ship that doesn't stand out from the crowd. I'm guessing that YT's are a dime a dozen, and there are probably rusted out YT hulks parked behind the hangars at half the starports in the galaxy.

4. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    Because the Falcon isn't famous for being on a cop show, and distinctive for the decal/paint job it displayed on TV. It's famous for its accomplishments and associations.

5. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Considering that it's stolen property, I would have thought Unkar Plutt had made efforts to hide its identity. With presumably a fake name attached to it, one wouldn't necessarily assume it was the Millenium Falcon just because it was a YT-1300. I suppose Rey could have recognised or deduced that it was the Falcon because of its many 'special modifications' but that would have to mean that she first had access to that kind of information (why would Han have publicised that?) and also have been a real geek to learn all of it.

6. Subtext Mining

Subtext Mining Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2016
    And a real geek wouldn't think Han's Kessel Run record was less than 14 parsecs. :p

Sarge and ewoksimon like this.
  7. ggj

ggj Jedi Youngling

Sep 15, 2017
    Why wouldn't she know what type of ship the MF is? And judging by the following scene she definitely has a lot of knowledge (also technical) about the Millennium Falcon:

She knows a number of things:

- She knows that Han Solo owned the MF
    - Knows that he's a smuggler (and Finn heard he's a war hero)
    - She knows about the Kessel Run (although not the right distance)
    - She knows who previously owned the MF before Unkar Plutt
    - She apparently did some work on the MF and knows how it works (1:44 'I thought it was a mistake too...')
    - And last but not least, she knows how to fly the damn thing

So with knowing all that I'd say that she should also definitely know what kind of ship the MF was. And yeah, maybe there are plenty of YT-1300's out there and she had a very different idea of what the fastest spaceship in the galaxy looked like. But then she should have responded differently instead of saying 'THIS is the Millennium Falcon?' it would have been better to respond 'This IS the Millennium Falcon?'. Seems more appropriate imo. I don't know, still a weird scene I think.

Visivious Drakarn likes this.
  8. The Scavenger

The Scavenger Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 22, 2017
    That makes me wonder about Kylo. Did he know it was the Falcon when Mitaka told him about it?

9. ggj

ggj Jedi Youngling

Sep 15, 2017
    Which scene are you referring to?

10. The Scavenger

The Scavenger Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 22, 2017
    Mitaka tells Kylo about BB-8 and he mentions the ship's a YT-1300 Corellian freighter. Kylo just reacts baffled to how a droid stole a freighter, but did not react to what kind. You would think he would.

Sarge likes this.
  11. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    She knows of two parties who had the ship before Unkar Plutt. That exchange happens before she finds out it's the Falcon.

12. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    "This IS the Millennium Falcon?" would suggest that she suspected as much. The more appropriate "THIS is the Millennium Falcon?" tells us that the thought never crossed her mind.
    Just because Rey has heard stories of Han Solo and the Millennium Falcon doesn't mean she knows the specifics of the ship. Neither is there any reason to believe that the "garbage" that Unkar Plutt stole is the famous ship she has heard of. I mean, the fastest ship in the galaxy can hardly be garbage, now can it?

Aroooo-Dion and Martoto77 like this.
  13. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    It may be straying a tad off topic, but considering Rey didn't seem to have a personal account of ever having been on the ship called the Millennium Falcon, couldn't that rule out that she's either a Solo or a Skywalker? I mean you'd think Han would've let her on the ship if she was family.

14. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    That's a very good point. I suppose the only counterpoint to that is the timing of when the Falcon was lost. Does Han have it in Bloodline?

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  15. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I think this can be considered asked and answered, and has run it's course. Locking.

TCF-1138 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.