main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why didn't Sidious leave Anakin to die?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by DarthWolvo23, Sep 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthMateous

DarthMateous Jedi Master star 4

Aug 1, 2002
    Sidious may have known about the prophecy, but that's irrelevent in this issue.

The reason he kept Vader alive is because the Sith, like the Jedi, want to ensure the survival of "their own kind". Even though Palpatine's main goal is to be all-powerful, he realizes that he will eventually die and the Sith with him. So he has to train an apprentice to take his place. That's also why he jumps at the chance to lure Luke to the dark side.

Palptine has a "higher" purpose...to ensure that a Sith remain in power when he's gone. Otherwise, there's no real point in training another Sith. He could just hire bounty hunters to take care of his business.

DARTH SlDIOUS
    You will not stop me. Darth Vader will become more powerful than either of us.

DARTH SIDIOUS ignites his lightsaber.

YODA:
    Faith in your new apprentice, misplaced may be, as is your faith in the dark side of the Force.

Palptine is basically telling Yoda that Vader will ensure that the Sith remain in power when he's dead. And Yoda makes it even more clear: Palpatine keeps Vader alive because he has a misplaced faith in the Dark Side of the Force and in Anakin.

2. sithrules70

sithrules70 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2005
    burned and scarred or not Vader was still more powerfull than anybody in the galaxy except for palpatine himself and remember that palpy is the emperor,is not like he is gonna do things directly,even if he didnt need an aprenttice he wanted one to do his bidding.

3. sithrules70

sithrules70 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2005
    anakin was the only one with the power to kill sidious and destroy the sith

anakin "could" have been strong enough to kill palpatine trough direct confrontation but post-mustafar vader is no match for palps and palpatine didnt know that padme gave birth before dying and he certainly didnt foresee vader betraying him to save his son.

4. The_Force_within

The_Force_within Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 19, 2004
    I agree with the idea posted on the first page, about Sideous having teached all he knew about governing an Empire to Anakin. This is shown in the way Anakin thinks about how a "galaxy" should be ruled, this is just what Sideous told him would be the best way.

5. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    The most obvious answer has been covered, in that Sidious was well aware of Vader's potential. But what about loyalty? What about friendship?

In the OT Sidious even tells Vader, "Rise, my friend."

Sidious must have believed that if Vader lay chopped up on the Lava bank, then surely Kenobi must have suffered an even worse fate.

Do you think Vader told Sidious that he got his arse handed to him by Kenobi because he made a foolish leap, after he was rebuilt? Or did they never speak of it?

Meh?
    I think they filed it under the "Better Left Un-said" file.

Personally I think Sidious felt, a "reduced-option- AnaVader" was still more valuable than two "fully loaded Jeedai."

6. Darth-Horax

Darth-Horax Force Ghost star 6

Aug 22, 2001
    Palpatine thought that all Jedi and known force sensitives were dead from Order 66. He had no other option at the time.

7. DarkLordOfTheSithIAm

DarkLordOfTheSithIAm Jedi Youngling

May 24, 2005
    Because except for Sidious himself, nobody in the universe is as powerful as Vader is only 80% of what he was before getting toasty, but 80% Vader is 80% more powerful than anyone else...except Sidious....as far as Yoda...after Vader went beserk about Padme croaking...not even Yoda could stop Vaders rage/hate....Yoda would be pushing up daisies.

8. BlutEngel

BlutEngel Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 9, 2005
    Would this be a strange form of Sith selflessness? I sometimes wonder that. Remember Vader's plea to Luke? "Give yourself to the dark side." Kind of sounds like a surrender of sorts. Or, a "letting go".

I honestly don't know what to think.

9. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    Palpatine saved Anakin's life because he had no other option at that point. This is proven when he jumps at the chance to turn Luke in the OT and rid himself of Vader.

10. TheCRZA

TheCRZA Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2005
    Since the Sith do give in to their emotions, am I the only one
    that actually believes that Palpatine had some sort
    of twisted affection for the boy?

11. Juggernaut86

Juggernaut86 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 7, 2005
    Because Vader is bad

Dude can choke u with only thinking

Or disarm a whole room

12. Juggernaut86

Juggernaut86 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 7, 2005

The way Sidious touches Anakins body after he is burned is full of affection

"I sense my apprentice Darth Vader is in danger"

13. BlutEngel

BlutEngel Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 9, 2005
    Sure why not. Just like my twisted affection for the Sith :p

But seriously who knows. You don't have to be "good" for a random burst of compassion to hit you. There's never rules for when I feel it.

14. Darth Kruel

Darth Kruel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    Yeap, that's exactly why. Plus Palpatine had a soft spot for Anakin. He knows Anakin is strong with the Force, and he'd invested so much time with Anakin to win him over to the dark side anyway.

15. Enshu-Atsukau

Enshu-Atsukau Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 20, 2005
    Well, when Vader tries to get Luke join him (ESB), he says : << You can destroy the emperor. He has foreseen it. >>. The Emperor might well have foreseen than together, Luke and Vader would destroy him, therefore continuing the Sith line. And that might have suited him, although less than if Luke turns, so he can keep the best of them, or Vader kills Luke. This is his first idea, as a matter of fact, as we hear in ESB : it's Darth Vader that tells him :
    << - If he could be turned, he would become a powerful ally.
    - Can this be done ?
    - He will join us, or die. >>

Did Palpatine see that it could be done the other way, i.e. they join to destroy him, but on the light side of the Force ? I guess not, or he would have been more careful with Vader when trying to kill Luke ...

Certainly not ! He knew Yoda was still alive, and he most probably figured out that if Anakin was in such a bad situation that he needed rescue, it was because of another Jedi. So he knew at least two Jedi survived, one of them being the strongest of all (even if he might feel having beaten him). So from the point of view of Force sensitives, he definitely needed the strongest possible apprentice.

I agree. Why couldn't bad guy love as well ? Haven't you ever see mafioso loving their children ? Or do you think the Emperor is so much The Ultimate Evil that no "good feeling" at all could reach him ? Come on ! Even as bad as he is, he is still human !

To summarize, I think Palpatine saves Vader for mixed reasons :
    - He needs an apprentice to keep the Sith line, as he knows he won't last forever.
    - He needs a "right arm" that is strong enough to cope with possible powerful opponents, as he knows Yoda and at least another Jedi, strong enough to have beaten Vader, still live. A bunch of bounty hunters would be no match against them.
    - He does care about Vader to a certain extend.

16. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Would you leave your chopped and burnt up son to die? ;)

[Palpatine] "I need your help son..." [/Palpatine]

I mean it must have taken a lot of work to twist the midichlorians up enough to create life...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.