main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Why didn't the actors have stronger careers post-SW?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by deneuves, May 2, 2015.

1. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I don't think any of the core star wars actors did as bad as Adam West when Batman finished:p

2. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015

The careers for both Portman and McGregor are not that great right now. Portman has Marvel . . . or the "Thor" movies. But I haven't seen her in other successful movies, lately. The last successful movie that McGregor was in . . . no one paid attention to him. And his other movies have been bombs. They're not doing that great.

3. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    Carrie Fisher didn't necessarily have big roles, but she was in a number of successful movies.
    The Blues Brothers 1980
    Hannah and her Sisters 1986
    When Harry met Sally 1989
    Soapdish 1991
    plus a number of other movies that did moderately well all through the years.

Hollywood typecast people so much years ago. There was nothing like Star Wars that you could then go stick Mark Hamill in. "Witness" was really a breakthrough for Ford, but in some ways his career was bigger in the 90s than the 80s.
    As for the PT actors, Ewan has been in critically successful films. He's in a movie or two a year, so he's doing well for himself.
    The only movies these days doing big business are the FX films. What do Robert Downey jr's films do other than Iron Man?
    where were Paul Walker or Vin Diesel outside of Fast and Furious?

4. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012

After Revenge of the Sith, she was in V for Vendetta, which was generally well-received and for which she won a Saturn. In 2010, she was nominated for more than thirty awards just for Black Swan, which she later led her to the Academy Award for Best Actress. In 2006, she was in three movies; in 2007, four. She was in two films in 2010 and 2011. She was in both Thor films which were both hits at the box office. She will star in three films that are being released this year, not to mention that her directorial debut, A Tale of Love and Darkness, will be appearing at the Cannes Film Festival this year.

She had a brief hiatus, but that had more to do with her marriage and her starting a family...

5. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Let's not forget that McGregor is appearing in the new BT adverts here in the UK:p

6. GuardianSoulBlade

GuardianSoulBlade Jedi Knight star 3

May 26, 2015
    I remember her as Padme for the first role I saw her in, but I like her more as Jane Foster and Evey Hammond. I still need to watch Black Swan.

7. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Being remembered for Star Wars is hardly bad. :p

8. Kenobi098

Kenobi098 Jedi Knight star 1

May 8, 2013
    Ewan has been in a bunch of movies he is working steadily but not as a big time leading man, he is doing more ensemable pieces, he has a part in disneys live action beauty and the beast. He was in jack the giant slayer and there is a rumored sequel to trainspotting coming out. Like portman he has also taken time off in he past, he did two motorbike trips around the world one before episode 3 and one after. netflix has documentaries on both.

There are some great interviees with mark hamil from during the ot years on youtube. Remeber he was mainly a tv actor on sitcoms and soaps before star wars. He also apparently played a lot of bad guys. Besides the voice work he did have a decent stage career. he has always come across to me in interviews a someone who puts family first, he just beams when he talks about his kids or his wife Marilou. doing more voice work let him be with his kids more when they were little. He also did have a role in the old flash tv show from the nineties and jusr reprises it on the curremt one

9. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    It's not like acting is the only thing in these people's lives anyway. I'd say they did just fine. You don't need to be in the limelight to have a solid career. :)

Kenobi098 likes this.
  10. deneuves

deneuves Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    McGregor and Portman are doing well, IMO. Actually most of the PT are ok except the two Anakins. Even people who played Padmes body doubles/handmaidens are doing well. This was more about the OT.

11. GuardianSoulBlade

GuardianSoulBlade Jedi Knight star 3

May 26, 2015
    Kiera Knightley's had a pretty good career and she was Portman's double for Padme, the handmaidn Sabe, and Portman herself has had a great career despite the hiccup of The Phantom Menace (People thought she was a bad actress because of the movie).It was thanks to a friend of hers that wrote a letter of recommendation for her.

12. deneuves

deneuves Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    Also Rose Byrne.

13. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Portman won has been in countless films since the trilogy, and peaked with an Oscar for Black Swan only a couple of years ago.
    What LZM65 is saying is why isn't she in the movies that he watches.:rolleyes:

14. Kenobi098

Kenobi098 Jedi Knight star 1

May 8, 2013
    I saw something recently where christensen did a medieval themed movie were he and Nic Cage were crusaders who after the massacre of the inhabitants in jerusalem during the first crusade end up in china and involved in a civil war between the emperors heirs, I imaginenit was really bad as it did not get any us release and its a nic cage post irs scandal movie but I imagine christensen would do well I Any action scenes due to his past in star wars.

15. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012

He has a movie with Adrien Brody called American Heist coming out.

He's currently filming 90 Minutes in Heaven. He has a WWII zombie pic, Untot and he's supposed to star in a Marco Polo film.

16. VictoriaSkywalker

VictoriaSkywalker Jedi Youngling

Jun 12, 2015
    Mark has kept a great career since SW, but I think he had the ability to pick and choose and didn't seem to want to go with the big blockbusters. He has always loved the old cartoons and has REALLY stuck with those, which aren't very popular right now.
    And as far as typecasting goes, Mark Hamill has shown that he can play ANYTHING from the hero to the villain and to all the parts in between. If he stayed with the hero he probably would have gotten bigger roles, but since he chose to show his acting skills he hasn't done "another Star Wars".