why didnt the critics

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by battlewars, Apr 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Bazinga'd
  1. Hitman90 Jedi Knight

star 2
    Critics are over rated. they give good rateings for a bad movie, and bad rateings for a good movie. I don't know why people pay attention to them.
  2. jangoisadrunk Jedi Master

star 4
    There is no accounting for taste.
  3. battlewars Jedi Master

star 4
    i agree the people on these forums are just as good as far as i'm concerned
  4. Loco_for_Lucas Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I just think it's hilarious. If the Prequels were universally praised, as much as the Star Wars Special Editions, the tone of this thread and others like it would be radically different. Critics wouldn't be looked down upon and be called sickening, they'd either be overlooked or seen as geniuses for praising these movies.
  5. battlewars Jedi Master

star 4
    its gotten better than average reviews on the tomatometer so alot of this anti prequel hysteria is kinda offbase
  6. Lukecash Jedi Master

star 4
    But didn't he give AOTC thumbs down?

Reading his review of AOTC, Ebert was REALLY angry with lucas for introducing digital into filming. In Eberts eyes it was trading a superiour product (film) for a lesser product (digital.) He later said that it did look MUCh better on a digital screen.

I personally think he backlashed against the movie on the rest of it. He was also upset that Lucas made Yoda a warrior... because it ruined his notion that Yoda was a teacher who used the force, not lightsabres.

Ropert on the other hand, had a good time.
  7. MANDALORIAN Jedi Master

star 4

I too care little for what the critics think.

But I am under no illusions - the prequels could and should have been a lot better. A few nice moments and a whole lot of wasted potential.

8. starwarsagent Jedi Youngling

star 5
    because critics are all gay. they all like to watch a dramatic film, independenly made by some french guy. they expect a film with only people in it. critics dont like special effects, they dont like different movies. for them they rather have another shakerpear in love of titanic. or aviator.

so when they see a film like star wars. in this case episode 1. their small brains fry and reject the new images and ideas. they are not used to seeing films like that. all critics watch slow, dramatic films 98% of the time. artsy fils.

this is why lucas will now begin doing those kind of films, to get the recognition.

critics are like rats, they feed from crumbs.

Strilo edit: Kindly refrain from using the term "gay" in such a fashion. I see two possible meanings. One, that gay means stupid or some other such negative idea. This is not allowed at all and will result in a ban. Two, that you mean all critics are homosexual. While I am sure this would have a wonderful effect on my love life, I doubt it is in fact the case.
  9. Sapno Krei Jedi Knight

star 3
    It sounds to me like people are bitter about the critics' influence on audience's perception of the prequels.

That's a bit unfair. Bad movies are bad no matter how you slice it. In fact, the critical opinion of the prequels should have *improved* audiences' opinion of them! You go in with low expectations and you come out pleasantly surprised. That,however, rarely happened, and TPM and AOTC are largely considered to be weaker than their predecessors (though, if asked, many people would say that they are still better than most Hollywood fare).

How many times have you gone to a movie based on the critics' overwhelming praise, and come out scratching your head thinking, "What was the big deal?" Many times, I would suspect. Often, this is a case of not understanding *why* critics liked the movie, and of going into the theater with too-high expectations.

In the end, it is only your opinion that matters. I will freely admit that when I saw TPM back in 99, I returned home very sad, because I realized that *gasp*, I did not like the movie! How could such a thing be? I thought my opinion would only be a measure of how good it was -- good, very good, or excellent. I never once thought I would use the word "bad."

Subsequent viewings changed my opinion a bit. I liked TPM more the 2nd and 3rd times, especially once I recognized that GL was attempting to contrast this bright, colorful story with the darkness to come. However, this is all about mood and subtext, and the story itself is weak and uninteresting.

That's my opinion, un-influenced by any critic's rants.
  10. JediMasterChiefYoda Force Ghost

star 3
    I look at it this way. Critics don't have to pay for the movie they see. They go to the theatre, get a drink and popcorn (I guess), sit down and watch the movie. Since they don't pay for the movie (in fact, they are paid to watch it.), I simply don't value thier opionion on weather the movie was good or not.

However, when one of my friends at work comes in and says (s)he saw (for example) Matrix Reloaded (or whatever the 3rd one is called). My friend told me that the movie didn't seem to have an ending. Not to spoil the movie for any who still haven't seen it, but the story was finished, but there wasn't really in closure in the story. After I saw the movie (bought a used DVD), I agreed.

At least, that's how I look at it. People who pay to see the movie are going to give better opionions (imho).
Moderators: Bazinga'd
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.