main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

why didnt the first death star get naval support?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by fosh-bantus88, Jul 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fosh-bantus88

fosh-bantus88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 27, 2003
    okay, so the empire has just found out where the rebel base is, and they have the weapon that can destroy it. however, they also know that the rebels have plans that may aide them in a possible counter-attack and render this weapon in-operable.

so why just send the death star, when there are thousands of star destroyers out there?

just think of an imperial striking force the size it was in the BOE, against 50 or so rebel fighters.

why wasnt the first death star backed up by more than a handful of ties?

what killed tarkin; his arrogance or tactical incomeptance?

2. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    Over confidence of the Death Star.

3. clone3131

clone3131 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    i agree. Tarkin wanted to show off his new toy and what better way then destroying the rebel base.

But then again, Star Destroyers wouldnt of been able to destroy Yanin IV, and Tarkin didnt know how big the base was...

Also, remember when they anazlyzed the plans. The death star was built to withstand larger assults, not a small one man fighter- or they would of built a tighter defense.

4. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    Because they thought nothing would happen to it. If they did then the rebels would never have won. But then again you never know.

5. Wrath_Mania

Wrath_Mania Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2004
    Because George Lucas didn't have the time or money to have such a fleet battle :)

6. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    I wonder if the death star was actually part of the fleet or under the aegis of Tarkin directly.

7. BaronFel88

BaronFel88 Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 25, 2004
    Star Destroyers wouldn't have done much good against snub fighters anyway. The DS had plenty of TIEs, but never bothered mobilizing many of the pilots, I guess.

However, having Star Destroyers there would be a good backup for destroying the Rebel Base.

And to answer the above question, I think Tarkin was given the reins to the DS.

8. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Maybe they didn't have the stomach for it.

Ha, because, you see, naval as in navel, and, well, it's a pun of a sort...and...

*tails off*

9. fosh-bantus88

fosh-bantus88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 27, 2003
    i understand that star destroyers are tacticaly better at fighting other capital ships, but why not send out more ties?

afterall, the deathstar was freaking huge... right?when prepared for battle, it must have held thousands of fighters.

so why do they send out a handful of Ties?
    dosent really make much sense when you think about it.

the real defeat of the death star was caused by sheer inempt co-ordination.

10. BaronFel88

Jan 25, 2004
    Well, I guess the Empire learned its lesson for the second Death Star, cause it had a more 'desperate' defense.

11. JediSF

JediSF Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2004
    Simple answer. Tarkin didn't believe that anything could penetrate the standard defenses of the DS. The gun towers were thought to be enough to handle the attack. It wasn't until late in the battle that Tarkin's lackey informed him there was a real threat. Which is why the full lot of TIEs were not deployed.

12. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    ^ I agree.

In fact, Tarkin never launches any TIE fighters. The only fighters launched do so on Lord Vader's order.

13. AVECEASAR

AVECEASAR Jedi Youngling star 1

May 28, 2004
    Alright, I'll say that again. Man! The Imperials sure are stupid. ;) It's like "Oh my... The pilots went to sleep and I don't want to wake them up, I'm such a nice guy that I wouldn't dare to do that, so shhhhh!". But SW without dumb Imperials wouldn't be SW ;).

14. JediSF

Apr 15, 2004
    615, good follow up point! Only further exemplified in Tarkin's "moment of triumph" boast.

15. JediMasterChiefYoda

JediMasterChiefYoda Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2003
    We really can't say what good a bunch of Star Destroyers would have had in the Battle of Yavin. Did the Rebels have groundbased tubrolasers/Ion Cannons peppered through the forest? Was the moon shieled? Were there any Capital Ships (Mon Cal Cruisers, Corellian Corvettes, ect.) stationed there (that would have been sent away before the fight against the Death Star. . . no use wasting them. There is to many unknowns in this battle for us to do any real specaltion on the subject.

16. BaronFel88

Jan 25, 2004
    The Rebels had some Medium Transports and Corvettes at Yavin IV, but they'd easily be overwhelmed by an attack from the Imperial Fleet. But it is fun blasting them in the Revenge on Yavin level in Rogue Leader.

17. swanarchy

swanarchy Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 14, 2004
    SD's would have been damaged by the debris of the planet, so why have them, and we can blame the lack of fighter deployment on rising gas prices.

18. Leias_love_slave

Leias_love_slave Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 26, 2003
    why didn't the first death star get naval support?

In space, no one can hear you swim.

19. swanarchy

swanarchy Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 14, 2004
    i like your answer^. Really the navy, its a bunch of ships in the water, you know it as the us navy.

20. PresidentKang

PresidentKang Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 23, 2004
    according to the SW Death Star sourcebook the only TIEs launched WERE Vader's personal squadron. Tarkin was a very cocky cocky man.

21. JediSF

Apr 15, 2004
    TWO "cocky"s. That's pretty bad for Tarks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.