main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Why didn't the general on Hoth ask Han to return after paying off Jabba?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by NotSoScruffyLooking, Jan 25, 2016.

1. NotSoScruffyLooking

NotSoScruffyLooking Jedi Master star 3

Mar 20, 2009
    Seems a little strange.

2. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Maybe he had plans to evacuate the base and move to another planet, once Solo went.

If word reached Jabba that Han was with the Rebels, there is the threat that forces could track Solo back to Hoth, or get the information out of him.

In the books, the New Republic Generals and Admirals froze Lando out whenever he went back to being a private citizen, even if they were keen for him to do a mission for them; so the General on Hoth might have been about to do that to Solo.

3. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    Everybody knows what kinda guy Han is.. He's not the most honest , lol. He figured if he didnt want to be there anymore than let him go. No reason to try and get Mr. Solo's word on anything

4. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    Because he has no way of knowing if Han would even be able to get back after paying off Jabba. He also has no way of knowing how long the Rebels can stay on Hoth regardless of Han's success or failure. All he could do was wish Han luck.

Yanksfan and Kenneth Morgan like this.
  5. Bob the X-Winger

Bob the X-Winger Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    Han was a better commander as a volunteer than as a conscript.

6. CorellianVolkswagen

CorellianVolkswagen Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 24, 2016
    Well, Han has had a price on his head as long as he's been associated with the Alliance, and I think it was one of the main reasons he stayed with them. He didn't really have anywhere else to go, and he needed to hide as much as they did. But if Han is able to clear his debt, he'd be a free man. Or mostly free, the Empire was probably interested in him, but they had yet to hire a bounty hunter or anything. It was likely Han's plan to leave, though his loyalty probably would have gotten the better of him like it did in ANH. But he's probably thinking: "I helped rescue the Princess, blow up the Death Star and helped the Alliance scout and set up a new base, I've done enough".

Sarge likes this.
  7. Bob the X-Winger

Bob the X-Winger Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    They may also be an alternative reason they let him go. "He goes we don't have to owe him anything." "Be on your way Han, hear have a nice little reward. Thanks for all your work the pensions in the post." They might be relieved if they gave him to much Rebel intelligence he and that Wookie of his might go all sell out and talk to Moff council about the HQ whereabouts. This is very doubtful but I can certainly imagine the Rebels being very secretive and not wanting anyone to know about their plans. A need to know basis. Leia would know all the details but not even Luke could be trusted, he did come from Tatooine, low priority planet run by a intergalactic gangster. So all these things have to be considered. Obviously it all turned out well for these leaders but the Rebels were definitely at the races against the Galactic Empire.

8. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I think Han and Rieekan had this discussion before, but then something would come up and Han would stay longer. He's since realized that he cannot force Han to return and so he doesn't bother.

Storm_Cloud likes this.