main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Why didn't the ghost Obi-Wan train Luke?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by gobalicious, Sep 13, 2011.

1. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    She wasn't looking.

DARTHSHAME likes this.
  2. Aaronaman

Aaronaman Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 12, 2013
    Well maybe the fact that Leia didn't see any of the ghosts at the end of ROTJ is proof enough that only Jedi can see thye ghosts....I think we can all agree that Leia is Force sensitive?

There is so much conflicting information through out the EU that I dont think it a good guide to go by.

3. Aaronaman

Aaronaman Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 12, 2013
    You've got to be kidding me....their is NOWAY she could miss thyem??

4. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Wouldn't that be funny though?

5. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    This is completely out there speculation but what if, in order to manifest themselves for an extended period of time, a Force Ghost has to be in an area that is 'strong in the Force'? If you remember, Qui-Gon Jinn was only able to communicate with Yoda via voice in Revenge of the Sith (though we unfortunately didn't get to hear it ourselves), and the same applied with Obi-Wan communicating with Luke in A New Hope. In The Empire Strikes Back Obi-Wan appears very briefly on Hoth to direct Luke to Dagobah, but its not until he's actually on Dagobah (the cave has a strong Dark Side presence, but who knows about the rest of the planet?) that he manifests himself for an extended period of time in order to speak with both Luke and Yoda. Similarly, in Return of the Jedi, Obi-Wan is able to appear and engage in a rather lengthy conversation with Luke on Dagobah. At the end of the film, on Endor, Obi-Wan, Yoda, and Anakin appear only briefly to say good bye to Luke as they pass the torch down to him to usher in a new generation of Jedi.

Like I said, this is completely out there and probably not Lucas' intentions at all, but it kinda sorta makes sense :p

6. Orochi Oni

Orochi Oni Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 8, 2013
    Qui-Gon's voice is also heard in AOTC while Yoda is meditating just after the scene where Anakin is chopping up Sand People.

"Anakin! Anakin! Noooooo!"

Strange how it was never mentioned again. Maybe Lucas intended for it to tie in with his promised Force Ghost explanation in ROTS.

7. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Forgot to mention that one, thanks. Always loved how they blended a bit of Vader breathing into that line.

I always interpreted that scene as Qui-Gon's presence trying to break the barrier into the real world via the disturbance in the Force (Anakin slaughtering Tusken Raiders) that Yoda is currently experiencing.

8. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    GL has said that he created Yoda so that Luke would continue to have a physical mentor.

9. Ambervikings91

Ambervikings91 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    because the ghost was busy :)