1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Saga Why didn't the New Republic kill all the Imperials after Jakku?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Mandalore the Ascendent, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Palp_Faction

Palp_Faction Jedi Master star 3

Feb 3, 2002
    When the Empire fell, the NR did not automatically rule the entire galaxy. Many worlds chose not to sign up as member states or formed their own factions. I believe some worlds that were fanatically loyal to the Empire did not want to join the New Republic. That is their choice and I would assume the NR would have a tough time liberating worlds that did not want to be liberated! A lot of worlds benefited from Imperial rule. Therefore a small Imperial Remnant existed post Jakku. The NR did not pursue those Imperials who fled to the Unknown Regions because they didn't know where they were. The Unknown Regions were thought to be too treacherous to journey into as no safe navigational routes had been charted. The NR was unaware that the Emperor had found a route shortly before his death.

The FO is a legitimate state. Worlds do not have to be part of the NR. The NR would only get involved in a conflict with the FO if the FO attacked a NR world. The Resistance was technically fighting an illegal war. Once Hosnian Prime was destroyed THEN the Republic could openly declare war - but it had no fleet.
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  2. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    The New Republic likely didn't think the remaining Imperials were a threat and/or didn't want to become a thought police state. They were still a democracy, after all.

A better question would be -- why did the New Republic de-militarize so soon after a galactic civil war?
    Sarge likes this.
  3. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    Poor world building.
  4. DarthHass

DarthHass Jedi Master star 2

Nov 20, 2004
    Cuz lucasfilm said so.

Actually they probably never had the giant military to begin with so they just stayed as is.

And they didn't want to commit genocide. Like -- why didn't the U.S. nuke the rest of Japan and Germany?
    Iron_lord and Sarge like this.
  5. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    I say the Imperials should have been punished far more, but too much punishment would still have created the First Order. I say that most of the Moffs and military leaders should've been rounded up and imprisoned or executed.
    Idealism caused the New Republic to be foolish, and even as the threat of the First Order was clear, they did nothing.