main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why didn't Vader ever take an apprentice?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by JediStarKiller, Jul 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediStarKiller

JediStarKiller Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 2, 2005
    Vader was Emperor Palpatines apprentice for how long over 25 odd years or so. So why didn't he allow Vader to take an apprentice so he could take a new one.

They could have a whole army of sith by the end of ANH. Then they would have never been defeated.

Palpatien trained numerous sith: Maul, Tyrannus, Vader...

I don't see why...were they waiting for young Skywalker?

And why did The Emperor want skywalker to take Vader's place?
    And Vader wanted Luke to take the Emperors place (Join me and we will rule the galaxy as father and son.)

Why couldn't they all just rule together and be one happy family?

2. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    "Always TWO there are, no more no less"

3. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Vader didn't take an apprentice because there can only be two Sith at one time. Yes, Palpatine trained multiple Sith, but not at the same time. Vader was going to kill the Emperor and make Luke his apprentice; the Emperor wanted Luke to kill Vader so that Luke would become his apprentice. Palpatine wanted "a new apprentice... one who is far younger and more powerful."

4. JediStarKiller

JediStarKiller Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 2, 2005
    Ok so why can there only be two Sith...but a thosaund Jedi?

Maul and Dooku were around the same time...Maul was a darth and so was Dooku.

So Palpatine trained Dooku first then he went to become a darth? Then he trained Maul? Because Dooku was a sith before Maul was right?

But thats doesn't make sense then because theres 3 sith right there alive at one time.

5. Rouge_Three

Rouge_Three Jedi Youngling star 1

May 29, 2005
    It's just a rule. Kinda like how every Jedi isn't a master until he comes to be on the council.

Also, if there were some sort of all powerful Sith Lord in charge of everything, you can bet that every other Sith under him would be plotting to overthrow him. It would all go over in a vicious cycle basically.

In fact, I would bet that's how the Rule of Two came to be, although I'm just blindly guessing.

EDIT: Dooku became Sidious' apprentice after Maul's death. Before that, he was a Jedi who had left just around the time of TPM, unsatisfied with the way the Republic and Coucil was running.

6. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Ok so why can there only be two Sith...but a thosaund Jedi?

Yes. The Sith are power hungry and killed each other instead of the Jedi, which is what caused them to "become extinct for a millennium." Darth Bane survived, and decided to prevent that from happening again, there could only be two at a time.

Maul and Dooku were around the same time...Maul was a darth and so was Dooku.

Wrong.

So Palpatine trained Dooku first then he went to become a darth? Then he trained Maul? Because Dooku was a sith before Maul was right?

No. He trained Maul from birth. Once Maul died, THEN Dooku left the Jedi Order and became his apprentice.

7. generallee5

generallee5 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 27, 2003
    Vader was Emperor Palpatines apprentice for how long over 25 odd years or so. So why didn't he allow Vader to take an apprentice so he could take a new one.

Because then there would be 3 or 4 Sith, breaking the rule of two and thus the Sith could self-destruct, which I'll get to in a mintue.

They could have a whole army of sith by the end of ANH. Then they would have never been defeated

Rogue_Three hit it perfectly. That's the way it used to be, during the Great Sith War. The Sith self-destructed. They were fighting the Jedi, plus they broke out among their own ranks and fought each other, because they all wanted to be the top dog, then when one became the all-powerful Sith, another Sith would come along and kill him, and the cycle continued because they were all selfish and were hungry for power and domination.

Palpatien trained numerous sith: Maul, Tyrannus, Vader...

He never trained them at once, first came one, then that one would die off, then would come the other.

And why did The Emperor want skywalker to take Vader's place?

Vader was getting older, and young Skywalker was at a perfect age to become a powerful Sith that still had alot of time to serve the Emperor.

Grrr....wasn't until after I posted this that I realized Jedi Master Ousley already said it all.

8. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    He wouldn't have been able to hide it from Darth Sidious. Sidious would have known that Vader wanted to replace him, and probably would have had Vader killed. If a pupil seemed promising, Vader would be afraid that Sidious would train him, and remove Vader (as he was trying to replace the crippled Vader). When Luke appears, it's too good an opportunity to simply kill him. They both want to train him, as both Sidious and Vader want to eliminate one another.

9. magicfann

magicfann Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 2005
    Always two there are, foolish one.

10. Kit-Fisto7BA

Kit-Fisto7BA Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 21, 2003
    Actually Vader did secretly train an apprentice but I forgot her name. Also he was planning to kill the Emperor to uphold the Sith tradition and make Luke one of his disciples.

11. Jandekian_Overlord

Jandekian_Overlord Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 5, 2005
    "Ok so why can there only be two Sith...but a thosaund Jedi?"

Hey, pal...blame Darth Bane for this one.

12. The_Hand_Of_Thrawn

The_Hand_Of_Thrawn Jedi Youngling

May 28, 2005
    If you have ever played KOTOR, you learn that the apprentice must kill his master to take a new appretice. Thats how the sith work.

13. Kit-Fisto7BA

Kit-Fisto7BA Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 21, 2003
    I think that tradition comes from the Sith species itself.

14. GarthSidious

GarthSidious Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 4, 2005
    the reason there are always two is not that it is actually a rule. the sith think inwards only about themselves and their quest for greater power. the master wants an apprentice to do his will to make his own power greater. however, if the apprentice becomes powerful enough, he will realize he can destroy his master and take a new apprentice to make himself more powerful. the "rule of two" is the nature of greed and evil.

15. Lord_Alved_Pepom

Lord_Alved_Pepom Jedi Youngling star 1

May 29, 2005
    I hate to go EU, but both Vader and Palpatine searched and attained apprentices in hopes of overturning the others.

But meh.

16. Mandalorian-Jedi

Mandalorian-Jedi Jedi Youngling star 3

May 28, 2005
    Actually the rule of 2 is only in effect until the Sith overthrow the Jedi.

Empire = No Jedi, ruled by Sith.

They can take more apprentices, there's nobody to physically stop them.

17. Jedi-Queen

Jedi-Queen Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 16, 2005
    Jedi or not the reason the 'always two, no more no less' is
    b/c if there is more than a Master and Apprentice they will
    turn on each other [as they did in the past] and wipe each
    other out.

18. LemmingLord

LemmingLord Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2005
    The rule of two is stupid; but I guess it is cannon since Yoda said it... Then again, there is obviously no rule against Jedi lying...

Here's an alternative answer: Palps kept Vader VERY busy for those twenty some years hunting jedi, strongarming the galaxy, getting him pepsi products...

19. theN00_Jedi

theN00_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 26, 2005
    you realize the rule of two exists entirely as a result of this website's interpertation of one single line in the first of 3 poorly scripted movies?

All yoda was saying is... IF THE FUNNY LOOKING GUY WITH THE HORNS ON HIS HEAD IS AN APPRENTICE... THEN SOMEBODY PROBABLY TRAINED HIM! ALWAYS TWO MASTER AND APPRENTACE..

...same thing could be said about the Jedi by the Sith,
    8-} HEY LOOKIE MASTER!!! I KILLED THIS 19year old Jedi Student and now the Jedi Order is extinct forever!
    [face_skull] -NO, always two there are, If you killed the studnet, then there must be a master..He didn't train himself did he??
    8-} -So the Jedi have a rule of two??
    [face_skull] -no, they just usually have some kind of a master otherwise HOW ARE THEY APPRENTICES?!?!?!MASTER therefore Apprentace... MASTER- APPRENTACE.. MASTER APPRENTICE
    8-} -So there are only 2 Jedi then??
    [face_skull] -No, there are thoussands of Jedi, all I'm saying is the master apprentice relationship only makes sense if thewre's both a master AND an-
    8-} -BUT MASTER YOU SIAD THERE ARE AT LEAST 2 JEDI!!HOW COULD THERE BE MORE THAN TWO!! SUPERSH-W SAID THERE'S ONLY 2!! THEY'RE BREAKING THE RULE OF-
    ***ZAP***
    [face_skull] -Time to get a new apprentice...

20. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    I just love reading your answers, my little green friend! :D
    Nothing constructive to add really! All is said by now! :(

21. ClonedEmperor

ClonedEmperor Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2005
    In the Marvel comics Vader trained Lumiya, who after Palpatine and vader died, declared herself a Dark LADY of the Sith while on Korriban, and trained her apprentice the Dark Lord Flint

22. GarthSidious

GarthSidious Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 4, 2005
    i dont think you people heard what i said

first the rule of two is not a rule at all and is never called a rule it is just an observation

and it applies at all times. it has nothing to do with the jedi, it is has only to do with the nature of greed

23. GhostJediknight

GhostJediknight Jedi Youngling

Jul 6, 2005
    Long ago the Sith were more than two, but as a result of all them wanting to become the Dark Lord of the Sith, only one survived and he set forth from then on there would be two Sith at once so they don't wipe themselves out completely.

24. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002

Picking a Sith apprentice is not like taking any old apple that falls off a tree. The apprentice must be special in some way; something seen by the Master that the apprentice would be worthy. In this case, Luke came along.

25. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    What was it Labyrinth of Evil said?

It was more a doctrine than a rule, and this from Count Dooku; a Sith Lord.

Kinda like on Pirates of the Caribbean when the Pirate Code was said to be more of a guideline.

Vader did train other apprentices; Lumiya, Hethrir, probably others, but not to the level of full Dark Lord of the Sith since they weren't powerful enough. The Emperor did the same, as did Tyranus with Assaj Ventress and Komari Vosa . When Luke arrived, he was strong enough to be inducted into the Sith Order fully, which was why the Emperor got involved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.