main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why didn't Vader sense any of Luke's thoughts of Yoda??

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Darth Sin, Dec 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Sin

Darth Sin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 14, 1999
    This has bugged me as of late that it is clear that neither Vader or Palpatine knew that Yoda still existed.

But even more than this, is that despite the relationship and training Luke received from Yoda, Luke's thoughts never revealed that Yoda was still alive.

Vader was able to pick up on a more mature and well-trained Luke's thoughts in ROTJ of Leia, but in ESB, Luke is not ready, and rather reckless in running to face Vader. But yet his thoughts do not betray the existence of Yoda, particularly when Vader says to him, Obi-Wan has taught you well!.

We all know the bulk of Luke's training came from Yoda, and since Yoda was his master, they developed an emotional bond. But somehow Luke's thoughts never betrayed him concerning Yoda that Vader would pick up on, especially in ESB.

Just a thought.

Darth Sin! :cool:

2. Loco_for_Lucas

Loco_for_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 15, 2002
    I always figured it as Luke not really thinking about Yoda at that moment. He was focused on his opponent, albeit a little too closely. That and Yoda wasn't in the same danger as Leia was, not as immediate at least. It was that danger, in my opinion, that had Leia in the forefront of Luke's thoughts during his duel in ROTJ.

3. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    Actually, if you read the novel, the Emperor asks about Luke's training and more or less manages to drag it out of his thoughts. "Feelings betray you" and all that. We didn't see it in the movie because it wasn't pertinent to the plot. After all, why would the emperor care about Luke's Jedi training when he fully planned on utterly reworking it to serve his own dark desires? :)

Also, the novel reveals that the reason Luke thought of Leia was not because he was just doing so, but because through their bond, he could feel her pain during the battle on Endor. It brought a rush of emotion that managed to flow strongly enough through the Force to alert Vader.

4. Darth Sin

Darth Sin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 14, 1999
    I am actually more focused on this in terms of ESB, because Luke is not fully trained, and is not really ready to Vader in their first duel.

Vader makes 2-3 references in their battle concerning Luke's training, and Vader gives the credit to Obi-Wan.

With that in mind, surely Luke upon hearing Vader's talk, his mind would cetainly have to go to Yoda.

Given how easily Vader picked up on Luke's thoughts about Leia in ROTJ, Luke was more vulnerable in ESB, and his thoughts to me would have betrayed him concerning Yoda and his existence.

It would have been very significant had Vader learned that Yoda still existed at that point in the story. It is mute of course, but again I find it hard to believe that Luke's thoughts did not wander toward Yoda in his battle with Vader in ESB.

Darth Sin! :cool:

5. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    I don't think he was really thinking too much about Yoda, mainly trying to save his friends and chidding himself for getting in over his head. It could also be that Luke was too tired to think of anything besides the fight and did Skywalker even hear Vader? It sounded like Vader was talking to himself when Skywalker flipped out of the carbon pit.

6. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    Well, your hypothetical situation suggests that Luke thought of Yoda, and we have no idea of knowing that he did. Actually, given the situation he was in when it occurred, I imagine Luke was too much focused on that, "Oh ****, I'm gonna die!" part of challenging someone like Darth Vader. Personally, I don't think many people would be able to have a coherent thought process at that point. I know mine would have been a shock of "OMGILOSTMYLIGHTSABERANDNOWHE'SADVANCINGOMGOMGI'MGOINGTODIE."

;)

7. generallee5

generallee5 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 27, 2003
    My guess is Vader simply didn't try to read Luke's thoughts. You may have to concentrate on reading one's thoughts, and perhaps it doesn't just come to one that has the Force.

8. Lightsabre

Lightsabre Fan Force Founder star 4 VIP

Nov 12, 1999
    The venerable Darth Sin, it's been a long time...long time. Anywho, I think you have a point. IMO, the point at which Luke would have recalled his training and Yoda was when he first approached Vader on the platform in the freezing chamber. Sort of a deep-breath, "here goes nothing" thought. As soon as the duel was on, I imagine Luke was focused solely on his own survival. Another point is where was Vader's head at this time. This is the first time he's seen his son face-to-face. I imagine this would have conjured emotion that may have clouded his evilness.

9. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Vader found out that Yoda had been instructing Luke during their ROTJ duel.

10. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    There is no evidence to indicate that they didn't know about Yoda. They simply don't mention it. At the time they are both struggling in the duel so neither is really probing the other. Vader may have assumed he was being traied by Yoda, however as has been said, he brought attention to his old rival, Obi-Wan. It has more meaning when you watch all six films in order, that Vader would mention Ben as opposed to Yoda.

Those are just my thoughts on it.

-Seldon

11. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    The ROTJ novel shows that neither Vader nor the Emperor knew that Yoda survived until Vader's duel with Luke.

12. DARTHFINGERZ

DARTHFINGERZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2004
    I think Vader brought up Obi~1 more cuz he had a specific long standing rivalry w/him......

EASY ANSWER: Luke just wasn't thinking upon Yoda during the ESB duel & Vader wasn't checking Lukes thoughts anyway @ the time.

Take Note - when he falls @ the end, and is dangling hopelessly, despite being trained more by Yoda & Yoda still being ALIVE, Luke calls out to Ben for help. So if Luke did have any thoughts @ all during duels they were more toward Ben.

I gotta check out these SW novels mentioned though! What are they the same movie stories just a little deeper with little added stuff here and there?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.