main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Why didn't Windu warn the other Jedi about Palpatine prior to going to arrest him?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Drewdude91, Jun 29, 2014.

1. Drewdude91

Drewdude91 Jedi Knight star 3

May 21, 2011
    After he just found out that the Commander in Chief of the entire Clone Army (which have been bred for obedience) was the Sith Lord, why did he not send out a warning to all the Jedi? Mention that Palpatine is the Sith Lord, and because of this, to be wary of the Clone Troopers. Adding in TCW to the mix, Windu and Yoda should have recalled the incident with Tup and the clone turning on the Jedi. So, I guess, why did Windu not send out a general warning to all the Jedi prior to going to Palpatine's office? That could have saved many lives during Order 66.

andresfelix likes this.
  2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Because he had no idea about Order 66 and was not in the prediction business at the moment.

His focus was on stopping Palpatine quickly. Had he been successful at that, there would be no need to warn the other Jedi about anything.

Cevan, Marco1907, ShaneP and 2 others like this.
  3. Drewdude91

May 21, 2011
    True, and I suppose it shows his arrogance

Kenneth Morgan and yodasbum like this.
  4. Among the Clouds

Among the Clouds Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2001
    He overestimated Palpatine. He thought four Jedi Council members would be more than enough to take Palpatine in. It should have been a quick affair, with Palpatine either going in quietly or putting up a fight that the Jedi could have handled. The priority was to arrest Palpatine as quickly as they could before he could react to their finding out about him. But they didn't know Palpatine expected their reaction, and that he knew he could take three of them out with such ease.

5. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Not arrogance. When you need to get a job done quickly, there's no time to stop and use the comlink.

"We're completely ****ed. Pass it on."

Not much stands out to me in ROTS but "We must move quickly if the Jedi Order is going to survive" gives me chills.

That's where Mace was.

SlashMan, Revanfan1 and Thuro like this.
  6. Drewdude91

May 21, 2011
    He could have sent some type of warning on the ride to the Chancellor's office though. Something that's to the point, simple, and allows the Jedi to be slightly more cautious

Bazinga'd likes this.
  7. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    It was a hasty (patience!), foolish decision.

I really think it's an OOU thing, it would make for a dull scene and would/should prevent Darth Vader's surprise attack on the Temple. It's a movie.

IU, I don't think we can really know what was going on in Mace's head. Idk, maybe "I got this". Why he wouldn't bother telling anyone, idk. Seems unreasonably foolish for Mace, the guy who sensed a plot to destroy the Jedi.

Maybe he just didn't think of it, idk. Recklessly rushing off to face your enemy and paying for it is a recurring deal in Star Wars.

Thuro and Bail B. Baobab like this.
  8. Crystalia

Crystalia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 24, 2013
    Agree with CT.

Does it bother me? no not really they needed to hurry the film along, was it idiotic and not a well thought out decision? yeah, but that maybe was the point.

Also Mace had no idea about order 66 at that point, another hour or two wouldn't have made much difference, why was it "such a hurry, right this second" thing.

Thuro likes this.
  9. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    A message stating be on your guard wouldn't have hurt.

Revanfan1 and Thuro like this.
  10. Among the Clouds

Among the Clouds Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2001
    I think they also attempt to address this by having Yoda and Obi-Wan go to the Jedi Temple to warn the Jedi to stay away. Perhaps there were other ways to send a mass message to the Jedi, but only an encrypted one would have been regarded as completely authentic and protected from potential enemies. Obvioulsy, Mace could have (and should have) hologrammed Yoda, but again, he overestimated Palpatine.

Thuro likes this.
  11. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

What the Jedi "learned" from Tup and Fives was that there were a bunch of chips in the clones' heads that were stopping them from going berserk and killing Jedi. Unless Palpatine could remotely remove every single clone trooper's chip simultaneously from across the galaxy, there was no reason for Windu to suspect what would happen, given what he knew.

Alexrd likes this.
  12. Drewdude91

May 21, 2011

True. But they also learned that the man "Tyranus", who ordered the army, was Dooku. They already knew he was a Sith, but not that he was Tyranus. So they now know that the Sith were in charge of ordering that army. And Palpatine is the leader of the Republic AKA Commander in Chief of that Army. Red Flag much?

sarlaccsaurs-rex and Thuro like this.
  13. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    So what? As Yoda stated, the clones have saved their lives multiple times throughout the war. Why should they be wary of the clones when going to arrest Palpatine?

Vialco likes this.
  14. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In the novel, he does warn Yoda at least:

In the virtual nonspace of the HoloNet, two Jedi Masters meet.
    One is ancient, tiny, with skin of green leather and old wisdom in his eyes, standing in a Kashyyyk cave hollowed from the trunk of a vast wroshyr tree; the other is tall and fierce, seated before a holodisk in Coruscant's Jedi Temple.
    To each other, they are blue ghosts, given existence by scanning lasers. Though they are light-years apart, they are of one mind; it hardly matters who says what.
    Now they know the truth.
    For more than a decade, the Republic has been in the hands of the Sith.
    Now, together, blue ghost to blue ghost, they decide to take it back.

Vialco and Force Smuggler like this.
  15. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    I agree. He had time to send out a warning. Although, even though its not seen in the movie, its possible he did warn the jedi. I dont think the movie was clear on that point. Did the novelization indicate whether he did or not?

Also, even if he did warn others, I think the bigger issue is the jedi trusting the clones in light of what they should know based on TCW episodede arc,

16. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    I think arrogance was part of it, along with an overwhelming feeling of impending triumph. He was finally going to confront the Sith Lord that had been fouling up the galaxy and endangering the Jedi. This was the moment he'd been waiting for, and he didn't want to let anything distract him, including worrying about what might happen.

17. Lord Chazza

Lord Chazza Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2013
    Another point to consider is that any warning that Mace tried to send could potentially have been intercepted by the Sith which would mean that Mace loses the element of surprise. Of course, Mace doesn't have the element of surprise as Palpatine knows that the Jedi are coming but it's possible that Mace thought he had the element of surprise. If Mace did think he had the element of surprise, that would also explain why he was in such a hurry to confront the Palpatine.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  18. KeithyT

KeithyT Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 17, 2014
    Also he told Anakin to remain, and would have defeated Palpatine, if Anakin hadn't lopped his hand off. So confidence in his own abilities was not necessarily misplaced...

19. Lord Chazza

Jan 4, 2013
    I sense a plot to turn this into a did Palpatine throw the fight thread;)

KeithyT likes this.
  20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Bazinga'd : With that episode written after the movie, and I doubt it was planned at the time of the movie, I think it was written with the intention of making the Jedi look stupid. TCW liked to "highlight the flaws" of the Jedi.

One thing I didn't think of last night: did Mace have any idea of the implications of confronting the Sith Master? Among the apprentices, Maul was defeated by Obi-Wan (when the movie was made anyway) and Dooku was defeated by Anakin. I could see him thinking that with him being a Vaapad master and taking three other Sith Lords with him, he could defeat Palpatine.

So was he arrogant, just overconfident, or did he have no idea what he was facing?

Yeah, Palpatine was powerful enough to take over the government and run a war from both sides but how does that translate to skill in one-on-one combat?

I don't have an answer in mind.

21. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    I know the novelization isn't the same as the movie, but in the novel, didn't he have the remaining Jedi Knights and Masters secure the Temple before he went to confront Palpatine?

22. Lord Chazza

Jan 4, 2013
    But like KeithyT said, Mace actually won the fight against Palpatine (unless you're of the persuasion that Palpatine could have beaten him but threw the fight). Mace died that night because he didn't expect Anakin to betray him. But had Anakin not betrayed him or had Anakin not turned up at all, Mace would have killed Palpatine, no question about it.

23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    You were right about where the thread was going. ;)

KeithyT and Lord Chazza like this.
  24. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012
    It was a mixture of both arrogance and haste. Obviously there was time for Mace to get some kind of word out as they flew from the Temple to the Senate where Palpatine's offices were. He didn't do it because he didn't feel the need too. He felt, as others have said, that he had enough Jedi Masters in tow to take on any threat. There is a continuing theme throughout the prequels that the Jedi had grown very arrogant int heir ways. Something that even Yoda points out in AOTC. We see it in TPM when Qui Gon suggests that the Sith were back, Ki Adi replies "Impossible!" and mace says that they would have known if the Sith had returned. We see Yoda in AOTC lecture Obi Wan about even the older Jedi becoming arrogant, a trait that he is seeing more and more. Even as Mace walked into Palpatine's office, you can see the arrogance in his walk.

Even though arrogance played it's part, you can't rule out haste either, mace had other things on his mind, the entire future of the Jedi Order being the big one.

So in those moments, Mace made a hasty, arrogant decision.

Also, Palpatine did throw the fight, I believe Lucas has been quoted as such. :p

25. KeithyT

KeithyT Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 17, 2014
    Lord Chazza likes this.