main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why didn't Yoda come back???

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by jengafett, Dec 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jengafett

jengafett Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2004
    In ROTJ, we all know that Yoda can be a force ghost, So I wonder when he dies, why doesn't he appear until the end. Couldn't he come back to dagobah and chat with Luke instead of Obi-Wan. Luke was on about being alone. But Yoda could've come back to speak to him, couldn't he?

2. Snaggleass

Snaggleass Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 6, 2004
    I suppose you are correct. He could have spoke to Luke like Ben did. Maybe because he was freshly dead. Who knows?

3. Blackout

Blackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2000
    He appeared in the DS2 Throne Room when the fight was kicking off, only everyone was too distracted to see the little fella!

YODA: The button! The button on Palpy's chair arm!! His ejector-seat it is! Force-whack it now, and do a Top Gun he will!

If only Luke had 'let go', it could have been over when he was stood at the window...

[image=http://img79.exs.cx/img79/9259/blessimesinthecorner4gz.jpg]

:D {||||| ?||} -----------------------------

4. RogueScribner

RogueScribner Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    Maybe it takes some time to get oriented or to be able to manifest one's self as a ghost. Ben didn't appear in ghostly form until the beginning of TESB. There may be some merit to this idea.

L8r

5. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Probably takes a few hours to become a force ghost. As soon as you die, you're a voice, then a few hours later you're a ghost.

6. bugvader

bugvader Jedi Youngling

Nov 30, 2004
    Even if it takes time to become a force ghost I don't see why Yoda couldn't have started talking to Luke straight after he died. Afterall, Ben instructed Luke to "run Luke, run" straight after Vader struck him down in ANH.

7. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    I think Yoda didn't appear as he wanted Skywalker to finish the task by himself. He'd taught Skywalker as much as he could while alive and it was time for Skywalker to fave Vader once again. I've always likened it to Yoda watching Skywalker in the upcoming days, just noting how he does and determing if he'd done enough training. And if not, then he could always appear and instruct Luke some more. But in the end, he'd prefer if destiny followed its course without any interference from the 'dead'.

8. Darth_Digital

Darth_Digital Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2001
    Its simply a matter of dramtic licence.

Note how Yoda hasn't appeared in ANY EU stories as a force ghost?

Instructions from Lucasfilm.

I'm telling ya; There's a story in the wings somewhere with that.

Consider it.

Luke Skywalker, the last of the old Jedi, able to speak with the force ghosts of Anakin, Ben and Yoda.

George Lucas said that Luke's path will take a different road then that of a home and family.

Imagine if perhaps its Luke's destiny to tap the spirit world and re-build the Jedi order with the spirits of the Jedi as 'contacts' of the living force.

A Jedi council in both the material and spiritual world with Luke as the Emmisary of the two...

9. skywalker_jedi13

skywalker_jedi13 Jedi Youngling

Nov 29, 2004
    I agree with Errant_Venture. I think Yoda didn't reappear to Luke because it was not time for him to do so. Luke had other things to face, other places he was needed. It would not do if Luke had been chatting with a freshly dead Yoda on Dagobah instead of aboard the shuttle on the way to Endor with Han and Leia. Yoda probably had a good idea of where Luke's destiny led, and knew that it was time for him to move on into action at the time.

10. Master_Rebado

Master_Rebado Chosen One star 6

May 31, 2004
    "Even if it takes time to become a force ghost I don't see why Yoda couldn't have started talking to Luke straight after he died. Afterall, Ben instructed Luke to "run Luke, run" straight after Vader struck him down in ANH." - BugVader

Straight after..? Wasn't there some time between leaving the Death star and flying to Yavin and then assembling the Squadrons for the attack on the Death Star?

The flight to Yavin from the Death Star wouldn't have been instantaneous(even with Hyperspace speed)

Iron_lord likes this.
  11. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    Straight after..?

When Vader "kills" Kenobi Luke goes crazy and starts shooting at Vader, Kenobi's voice can then be heard saying "Run Luke, run!"

12. RedeemedJedi

RedeemedJedi Jedi Youngling

Jan 6, 2005
    I like Darth_Digital's theory. That would be awesome if that took place sometime in the future!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.