main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why didnt Yoda go take out Vader??

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by DarkFather13, Dec 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sluggo

sluggo Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 10, 2001
    As I said, its now in cannon that Jedi like Shaak Ti and Kota were running around until...what a year before ANH? So one of them coemes by Alderaan when they can and give Leia what training they can in the time they have. In between those visits Bail teachs her what he can, like i said think Sophies training from Da Vinci code. If they need to hide her combat training you give her a sword instead of a lightsaber. Obviously not optimal or anything, but it makes a hell of a lot more sense then Bail doing nothing. Now all they need to do to fix that is add a scene into ANH. You show Bail meeting with Mon Mothma on Alderaan. Maybe they mention Master Kota is gone, the Senator is now gone, we need to do this and that etc... Mon Mothma leaves, Bail leaves the room and sees his wife. He says - I know how you feel about Leia recieving Jedi training, but we are out of time. When she returns we need to send her to Master Yoda. His wife interups - I wouldn't let another Jedi train her, and I won't let Yoda. Someone welse will have to do it, no tmy daughter - something along those lines.

Their has been stuff written (not sure how "cannon" it is that Obi-Wan tried more then once to get to Luke when he was young to try to teach him etc.. but Owen would chase him off. There is at least a little of that in ANH, when Luke mentions old Ben and Owen responds with "hes just a crazy old man".

2. BigBoy29

BigBoy29 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 3, 2004
    She's a princess ... a very high position of title ...

No need to see her train/be adept with Kendo swords or whatnot.

Sluggo - I agree with your original premise - an easy fix - but it's a slippery-slope on Leia's training from Mr. Organa and Jedi that are dubious at best, in film.

3. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    True in and of itself, but then again, she would have the means and resources to get the best training possible as well. Not saying this necessarily pertains to Jedi training, but Lucas specifically wanted her character to be the opposite of the "frail damsel in distress" caricature, and she is more than able to take care of herself. Don't forget that she gets into the face of both Vader and Tarkin, and doesn't break under torture, either. She also goes into Jabba's establishment and fights on the moon of Endor. She is a princess, but her character doesn't stop there. ;)

4. sluggo

Dec 10, 2001
    ytou really think people in/of high position don't train in things like fencing?

There are 2 reasons that Lucas didn't make this part of Leia's character. 1) in 1977, they he know or at least hadn't full commited to Leia being Lukes sister. Her having the same potential as Luke wasn't part of the story yet and 2) Until RotJ it was susposed to be a surprise who the other was. You coudlnt have Leia using the force or know how to use a lightsaber and still not have the audience know who the other was. Howver those are no longer issues. If you were making ANH for teh first time, after making PT you'd address why Leia isn't trained, or have her know how to use the force.

5. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 19, 2008
    It was basicly because he was just too old to take on Vader. In AOTC he took on Dooku but didn't really fight with all that he could have. In ROTS Sidious completely beat him (And it was up to Yoda to kill Sidious to save the galaxy) so that was a major defeat. 30 + years in ESB he was even older and because Vader was one of the most powerful beings in the galaxy, only Luke could fight Vader.

6. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    Completely? Yoda threw Sidious' lightning right back at him with his bare hands. The only thing that really stopped the fight was that when both were thrown back, Sidious stayed in the pod, while Yoda fell out. But make no mistake, Yoda definitely put the hurt on Sidious.

7. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 19, 2008
    Yes, but when I said completely beat him (Yoda DID put up a fight) what I meant was Yoda lost the fight for the galaxy at that time. Yoda's mission was to destroy the Emperor which (at that time he failed).

8. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
  9. dewback_rancher

dewback_rancher Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2009
    As for the topic:

1. Even diminished as he was, Vader was STILL powerful enough to give even ROTS Yoda a fight if it came to it. Maybe not win, but it wouldn't be a CAKEWALK for Yoda.
    2. Yoda was so old by the time of the OT that one can certainly doubt whether or not even HE could have fought Vader. It would take all of his skill and a LOT more endurance than he had to finish the job.
    3. Yoda KNEW he had to stay ALIVE to train either Luke or Leia, and couldn't play Russian Roulette with the future of the Galaxy by running off to fight Vader when he KNEW it was no longer clear who would win. If he won, great... but since it was also likely that he'd LOSE, the risks outweighed ANY potential benefits.

As for why Ben would forget Leia, well, I always saw it as Ben having grown attached to Luke, and being so distressed that he'd left too early that, in the heat of the moment, he simply FORGOT.

As for Leia being trained, she DID get training- just not JEDI training. She was trained heavily in self-defense, which actually caused some difficulty when Luke tried to train her with the Force- her old self-defense instincts were interfering with her attempts to block stinger blasts from a remote; she had to UNLEARN what she had learned ((Heir to the Empire, IIRC)).

In any case, Luke was the one on the backwater planet, while Leia was the one who'd be on Coruscant regularly for Senate meetings. Which one do you think the Emperor would notice FIRST? That's right- LEIA. She was already conspicuous ENOUGH. Why make it WORSE?

10. sluggo

Dec 10, 2001
    Well if Yoda was worried about dying and no one being there to train luke or leia (did he know Padme was pregent then?) why did he go fight Palpatine? Its possible Yoda and Obi-wan could have lost, then would have been there to train them? Using your logic, Yoda should have sent Obi-wan to go fight one then the other while he went into hiding, just to make sure.

Attached to Luke? you mean the think he trained for 40 years NOT do. The very thing he saw bring down a close friend? And he just forgot? I guess that makes more sense then he didn't like politicans, but still....not really a good explanation.

Thats all EU stuff, so who knows. Sure Leia can shoot a gun but shes FAR from a Jedi, or anything ever close to a Jedi. And shes on coursant? Well theres two things about that. 1) We've seen Jedi and Sith feel people are not trained in the force before (Qui-Gonn with Anakin, Vader with Luke) so wouldnt Leia just being on Coursant be a danger? Its not like only trained Jedi are felt through the force. 2) How long did Palpatine live next door to Mace and Yoda? Its safe to assume Maul spent some time on Coursant as well. They obviously hide themselves. As far as I remember, Obi-wan didn't sense Dooku on Genosis, he was probably masking himself. Dooku didn't seem to feel the 500 or so Jedi sneaking into the arena, or Mace sneaking up behind him. It would seem that a Jedi/Sith has to be trying to sense someone to sense them and that you are able to mask yourself so that others can't detect you. Sao just make sure that the first thing Leia learns how to hide herself.

11. BigBoy29

Dec 3, 2004
    Sluggo -

Man, it's gonna kinda ruin OT if we know Leia is fencing/kendo/sword savvy.

Like you said, pretty good with a blaster - hey Lucas can't re-write that ...

Just go with your original edit - and let the chips fall where they may with the OT connection.

TPM, AOTC, ROTS - those movies ruined/enhanced (CHANGED) how older folks think of Master Yoda and Lord Vader. Kenobi and Palps came out of the PT pretty unscathed.

Do you want this gamble for the Princess as well?

12. sluggo

Dec 10, 2001
    Why would it ruin anything?

ANd if you look at what I've said, I would ust include a line where Bails wife refuses to let her recieve any kind of training.

I'm not someone whos scared of change. When you have issues with the plot as a whole because of some additions, it only makes sense to change it so that everything fits and makes sense. As it stands now, it doesn't. There are some pretty big logic flaws and bad story telling between the two.

13. BigBoy29

Dec 3, 2004

14. sluggo

Dec 10, 2001

No, in ANH. You word it so its clear this an old fight between the two

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.