main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Why didn't Yoda go with Luke to Bespin?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Vialco, Jun 25, 2014.

1. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    Yeah, I just mean that is my explanation as to why he doesn't fight Vader.

2. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

I'm aware that Obi-Wan and Yoda didn't believe in the Prophecy. I was wondering why it was important for Vader to die for the person who had theorized that if Yoda had accompanied Luke to Bespin, the former would have been killed. Considering what we know happened in ROTJ, why was it important for Vader to die . . . for that person.

3. Vincent Norris

Vincent Norris Jedi Youngling

Jun 25, 2014
    Yoda from the time he hears QuiGon is approaching the beyond with the force, this must mean he is slowly growing weaker, not even going into the cave-like system where Luke sees Darth Vader in Dagobah. Yoda is weak as he grows toward the higher realm there can be nowhere near the same presence he was capable of bringing out in the prequels.

I'm not sure as well though, but does Yoda even have a lightsaber?

4. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    If you think about it, Yoda is slightly more powerful in the Force in ESB than he is in the Prequels. In Episode II he had trouble with that radiator-like debris, but in ESB he can easily levitate an X-Wing. Yoda may not be able to do the acrobatics he did in his younger days, but he is still strong enough in the Force to have been some help to Luke.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  5. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    Great conversation! I have 3 points to add.

1) ROTJ is set just 8 months after TESB, so Yoda is very close to death.

2) Yoda may have feared that it may have ended up being a different type of 2 on 1 battle: Vader and Luke vs. Yoda. Luke wasn't fully trained, and Yoda didn't know that he wouldn't succumb to the Dark Side. Also, Luke may have chosen to side with his father over Yoda. Even if Yoda had told Luke of his heritage while riding on Luke's lap in the X-wing, that might not have helped matters. Luke may have felt betrayed that they had kept that a secret from him. Vader and Luke vs. Yoda would surely mean that Yoda would be a dead man (or whatever species he is), and then he wouldn't have been able to train the "Other" if Luke had joined Vader.

3) OT Yoda was a puppet. CGI does have its benefits.

6. Schwarma

Schwarma Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 30, 2012
    Here's my take, and I reckon it makes the most sense as well. Yoda and Obi-Wan are both still aware of the prophecy that Anakin is the chosen one who will bring balance to the force. It must therefore be Vadar who defeats the Sith i.e. The Emperor. With Leia already captured, Luke is the last hope for turning his father to the light side. Therefore Yoda not only doesn't want Luke to face Vader with incomplete training, but there would be no point in Luke and Yoda finishing off Vader since the prophecy would go unfulfilled and possibly the combination of Luke and Yoda may not have then been enough to defeat Sidious.

That's the way I see it.

Andy Wylde and darth ladnar like this.
  7. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Do note that Yoda was lifting a ship out of the bog, versus Yoda trying to stop an object that's caught in gravity's grip and moving it. This is why he has trouble with both the pillar and the Senate pod.

8. Hammer_Head

Hammer_Head Jedi Padawan

Dec 8, 2013
    I don't think Luke really gave Darth Vader a good fight on his own. It appeared like he did in the first fight sequence, but that was Darth Vader just toying with Luke to give him a false sense of security. When he really decided to fight in the third sequence Vader kicked Luke's but, even though Luke did manage to get a swat on Vader's neck.

9. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Because of budget restraints. Plus Yoda still had to finish paying his mortgage on his hut.

10. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    EU notwithstanding, didn't Yoda lose his lightsaber after his duel with Palpatine? I doubt he was in a position to retrieve it or build a new one

11. Drewdude91

Drewdude91 Jedi Knight star 3

May 21, 2011
    The old man's powers are weak.

12. Legacy Jedi Endordude

Legacy Jedi Endordude Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 9, 2012
    I am not sure if he still has a Lightsabers, this always intrigued me.

By your logic on number 2 what did it matter then if Yoda went with him, if Luke turns to the dark side, he can take Vader back to Dagobah, and by by goes Yoda.

13. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013

That's a good point, but it seems likely that Yoda would have sensed that Luke fell to the dark side. Yoda senses when Anakin slaughtered the sand people, he senses Order 66, and before he looks at the holo-recording, he already knows that Anakin has turned to the dark side and that he is responsible for killing children.

It seems likely to me that Yoda would have sensed such a change in Luke and he would've gone into hiding somewhere else on Dagobah. (Dagobah seems to be able to cloak someone from being sensed by other force-users, and it's hard to find one little guy on a huge planet.) Also, Yoda could fly away in that tiny ship that he used to fly to Dagobah in the first place. If Luke's X-wing can function after being under water for months, then my guess is that Yoda's ship would still be functional 23 years later.

Legacy Jedi Endordude likes this.
  14. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    He didn't actually sense what was happening to the sandpeople themselves - only that "Young Skywalker is in pain. Terrible pain."

Maybe something similar applies to the holorecording - when he and Obi-Wan had gone through the Temple, they'd split up to search, and Yoda had looked at that recording before Obi-Wan got to see it?

Andy Wylde and darth ladnar like this.
  15. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002

Boo!
    His war experiences in the Clone Wars taught him to stand above combat. George made him a fighter so you'd see that even a wise being as Yoda, at almost 900 years, would learn from his mistakes and gain mental growth. The experiences in the PT changed him, which is why it is a good thing he wasn't the same as the Yoda we knew from TESB and ROTJ.

darth ladnar and Iron_lord like this.
  16. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    I thought it was very clear Yoda had seen
    Wouldnt they just use Death Star 2 then, and be rid of him either way?

Legacy Jedi Endordude likes this.
  17. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The EU makes a point of saying that if the Jedi Council had known Anakin had committed a massacre - he would have been disgraced. And it seems consistent with other portrayals of the Council.

I can't see Yoda knowing and keeping it secret, somehow.

18. Legacy Jedi Endordude

Legacy Jedi Endordude Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 9, 2012

You have a valid point, but the second Death Star was not completed at that time.

19. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    True - even 6 months later at the Battle of Endor - it's still only half-complete.

20. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    But it is operational! ;)

Either way, in that time Yoda died anyways, so it doesn't matter all that much in the long run.

21. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    More likely that he sensed Anakin's turn and could feel his presence in the Temple, but in a way that was different from before. Plus, he recalled his vision of fighting Sidious and how Anakin was part of that.