main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Why didn't Yoda take the twins with him to Dagobah to be Trained as Jedi from Birth?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Chainmail_Jedi, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Forceghostyoda

Forceghostyoda Jedi Youngling

Jan 19, 2015
    I want to know why obi wan stayed on tatooine

2. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Here's another question:

"No. There is another."

Now obviously we know the other is Leia. How on earth would Obi-wan not know that? I know we have an answer of "bad writing/change of plans", but does anyone think that they may retcon this with rebels, or are we to believe Obi-wan is just dense?

3. Drewdude91

Drewdude91 Jedi Knight star 3

May 21, 2011
    I think he knew that but it slipped his mind. Also, does Leia even know about Yoda on Dagobah? Suppose Luke gets killed without Leia knowing they're siblings. Would Obi-Wan even be able to appear to Leia, considered they'd never actually met. And Yoda was dying anyways.

4. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    Based on the off chance they were found, there goes the galaxies only hope down the drain.

Plus, that swamp was no place to raise two children.

5. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Also true. Although, if it really happened that way with Luke dying, there's always the off chance that R2 could communicate Luke's last flight data, and inform C3PO of Yoda. That'd probably be where Leia would head next having lost Han AND Luke...

Heck, that might have actually made for a good film!

6. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012

However, we know that he did not figure it out until Luke started creating a disturbance in the force, and that wasn't until Luke was an adult, starting learning the ways of the Force, started making a difference in the galaxy and it's future. Not to mention they never figure out that Leia is a child of Anakin until Luke's feelings give her away.

That is why Yoda doesn't take them to Dagobah, if they had been trained in the Force from a younger age, there would a very good possibility the awakening of the Force within them (see what I did there) mixed with Yoda's involvement, would have created enough of a disturbance int he Force for Sidious to pick up on.

By separating them, and keeping them ignorant of the Force, they would not create a disturbance for Sidious to pick up. That is until the Force (or Fate, whatever you wanna call it) deems one of them to ready to be trained.

7. Rachel_In_Red

Rachel_In_Red Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2013
    But at the end of the day, Luke was not prepared to take down the Emperor. Not even close. It was only because of Vader turning on Sidious that Luke was spared and the Sith were destroyed. And we're not real sure of what Sid and Vader may have picked up on if Luke were trained in the Force at a young age. However, considering that Sidious could hide his Force presence and plot to destroy the Jedi while standing right in front of them, I am inclined to believe that Yoda could have done something similar from some far off planet. And I also don't like to go too far down the path of the Force controlling someone's destiny.

8. mikeximus

Jan 6, 2012
    And Luke would have never been trained at all if his training started at a younger age, and that training created enough of a disturbance in the Force for Sidious to pick up on.

The Force was out of balance, the Jedi's ability to use the Force had deteriorated (as per AOTC), they had no power to hide themselves from the Sith except by distance and laying low by not using the Force in any major way. Once again, Palpatine doesn't pick up on Luke until Luke starts training and doing things using the Force that cause disturbances. In ESB, Palpatine says he senses a new enemy in Luke because of a great disturbance in the Force, not because of spies or other conventional means.

It doesn't control one's destiny. However, once Luke was placed on Tatooine and Obi Wan stayed to watch over him, Beru, and Owen were destined to a certain fate because of the earlier decisions of theirs and others. The Force or fate works itself out that Luke would not be there when Owen and Beru's fate was decided. Luke was "delivered" to Obi Wan, his new protector, where Luke would have to make his own decisions as to which path his destiny would take. This is the sign from the Force that Yoda and Obi Wan look for that tells them that the "time is right" (Yoda in ROTS). As Obi Wan says in ANH, there is no such thing as luck, so by extension there is no such things as coincidence as well, everything happens for a reason. Luke meeting Obi Wan was not a coicidence and happened for a reason.

9. Rachel_In_Red

May 12, 2013
    If the idea is for Luke to be powerful enough to rise up and conquer the Sith, I would rather have him training under (and being protected by) Yoda or Obi-Wan on some remote planet like Dagobah than have him go untrained until at least his late teens while living unprotected with Darth Vader's stepbrother on the Sith lord's home planet.

Well, Luke had just blown up the Death Star. I'm sure that had a lot to do with figuring out there's another force user out there. Plus, I didn't see any Empire ships landing on Dagobah when Yoda was training Luke. They seemed pretty safe to me.

At the end of the day, Luke was not prepared to take on and destroy Sidious. Would he have been if he had started his Jedi training at birth? Maybe. But he was nowhere near prepared for Sidious at the end of ROTJ. So unless Luke's entire purpose (and clearly Yoda and Obi-Wan did not think this way because they both made mention of Luke personally destroying Vader and the Emperor) was to simply be good enough to survive Vader (not kill him) and be a catalyst for him betraying and killing the Emperor at a vulnerable moment, it didn't do any good for Luke to wander around aimlessly on Tatooine for some 18-20 years. Luke wasn't up to the task.

10. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Maybe it was being raised by Owen and Beru that gave Luke a strong moral grounding, allowing him to resist temptations by Vader and the Emperor?

mikeximus likes this.
  11. mikeximus

Jan 6, 2012
    The idea is for Luke and Leia to survive to become adults first, as we see in ROTS. They are no good to anyone if Sidious is able to locate them through the Force as they become more Force aware and kills them as children.

Also, you are not Yoda, you are not Obi Wan, you are not a Jedi, you do not know how the Force works as well as they do. To impose your logic onto any character in a movie is not right because they do not think as you do.

Also, the bottom line is, it worked.. So for the most part they knew what they were doing! You are simply second guessing something that worked? Really?

No, he didn't just blow up Death Star, unless you think the 3 years between the Death Star's destruction and Palpatine talking to Vader is short enough a time to mean "just" happened.

While I agree that the destruction of the Death Star did cause a disturbance, obviously Sidious needed more time and more disturbances to pinpoint the nature of the disturbance, which was Luke. However, he didn't have enough time to pinpoint it's location otherwise he would have just sent thousands of troops to invade where ever he knew Luke to be.

If Luke and Leia had been trained from the start as children, then obviously that would have given Sidious years and years to track the nature, and location of the disturbances as they would have been in the same place.

Furthermore, we know that the Sith can track people through the force to see locations. Proof? ESB, when Vader knows that Hoth is where the Rebels, and specifically Skywalker are there after seeing the image of the shield generator. Vader had more time and knew of Luke before the Emperor so he was able to foresee what the rebel base looked like, so he knew when he saw it.

As I have already said, Luke and Leia would have been no good to any one dead. Which they surely would have been, as eventually Sidious would have been able to pinpoint them through the numerous disturbances they would generate.

12. Rachel_In_Red

May 12, 2013
    Well, yeah, but if Peyton Manning had never heard of football until he was 20 years old, do you think he would still hold all sorts of NFL passing records? No. No matter how talented, he would lack the development necessary to be an elite NFL QB. Similarly, even if Luke survives to adulthood, he's going to lack the development necessary to take out someone like Sidious. We see this clearly in ROTJ when he's on the floor screaming while being zapped by Force Lightning. He had no counter for it.

In the PT, we see Sidious take out three Jedi in seconds and battle Yoda to at least a stalemate, if not a victory. These are Jedi that had been trained for decades, and Yoda had centuries of experience. Yet they still couldn't handle Sidious. And Luke is going to take him out with a crash course in Jedi training? Maybe I could see that happening if Luke were far more gifted than Sidious, but he's not. Anakin (as gifted as anyone) had far more training and experience than Luke at the same age and he was not more powerful than Sidious.

First of all, because something "works" in a fictional universe doesn't mean it makes sense.

Second, it didn't really work. Vader saved Luke by killing the Emperor because he had feelings for his son. Luke (due to limited training) was poorly prepared for Sidious, and he was easily defeated. And it's quite clear in a few different instances that Yoda and Obi-Wan intended for Luke to destroy Vader and the Emperor, not to turn his father to the light and have him kill Sidious when he wasn't looking. At no point is there any reason to believe Yoda and Obi-Wan expected Vader to aid Luke in destroying the Emperor.

"Only a fully trained Jedi Knight, with the Force as his ally, will conquer Vader and his Emperor." -- Yoda

" I can't kill my own father." -- Luke

"Then the Emperor has already won. You were our last hope." -- Obi-Wan Kenobi

It certainly sounds like Yoda and Obi-Wan expected Luke to personally take out both Sith Lords, which he didn't. And for them to think that he could do that (in light of everything we see in the PT) with a very limited amount of training and experience is rather naive. But I chalk that up to Lucas not really thinking things through when he began the OT.

And he still hadn't found him by the end of ROTJ when Luke turned himself in to the Empire. But I go back to what I said earlier, what good does it do to survive to adulthood if doing so will require you to be ill-prepared for the task at hand?

Split them up. Give Luke to Obi-Wan, and Leia to Yoda. And let them move around to different planets throughout their lives so as not to be pinpointed. And then they still have a Jedi Master to protect them should trouble arrive.

We don't know this. But we do know that (as things turned out) Luke was not prepared to defeat both Vader and Sidious. It was the family connection between Luke and Vader that caused the downfall of the Sith. And again, at no point in the OT do we see Yoda and Obi-Wan say anything that makes them think Vader could be turned back and that things would transpire as they did. It was an unexpected move by Vader that saved the day.

13. Drewdude91

Drewdude91 Jedi Knight star 3

May 21, 2011
    At the very least, it should have been Luke Lars, not Luke Skywalker

14. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Maybe Obi-Wan suggested to Owen and Beru that they call him Luke Lars but they decided against it because of how lame it sounded? ;)

15. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

George and the others actually had conversations about this during the writing of Episode VI. George's explanation was that Obi-Wan simply wasn't thinking clearly when he said that, because he'd invested so much in Luke already.

Iron_lord likes this.
  16. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    I was thinking about this the other day, and came to the conclusion that maybe he wasn't sure if Leia was nearly as strong with the Force or had any Force sensitivity at all? Even though one of her parents had a high Midi-Chlorian count doesn't mean it necessarily passed on to her, since high Midi counts can randomly appear on kids of parents with small Midi counts.

And Obi-Wan was only near Luke, so he knew his gigantic potential. He didn't see Leia after her birth.

Darth Zannah and Iron_lord like this.
  17. Darth Zannah

Darth Zannah Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 28, 2014
    This is the type of question that can only be answered by Lucas himself but I'm betting he would say something along the lines that if the twins were with Yoda that would be three very strong Force sensitive people together in the same place...which would amplify their presence in the force making it easier for them to be felt...so as a result it is better that everyone be split up...Yoda. luke. Leia, all on different planets across the galaxy...The babies wouldnt't be as easy to detect because they have not been trained to use the force...and Luke and Obi can get away with being together because Vader avoids Taooine due to his hatred for the past...and I think many of you are nitpicking here...and following the trend of overly scrutinizing the prequels just to find something wrong with them..no matter how trivial..when it comes to putting Luke on Tatooine this falls in line with the old saying "the safest place is in the lion's den" or "right under your nose"

also in the old EU the darkside cave in Dagaboh helped block Yoda's presence in the force...just thought I throw that out there FYI

Darth Raiden likes this.
  18. Elegy

Elegy Jedi Youngling

Mar 7, 2015
    Cause it would give him away in hiding.