main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why do droids...

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by O_C, Feb 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. O_C

O_C Jedi Youngling

Feb 28, 2009
    Never take cover with the exception of the assassin droids?

Really, how hard it is to program droids to take cover and not advance in parade like fashion?

And if you're going to stupidly advance like that, why do they rarely advance behind Droidekas?

Furthermore, why would clones wear bulky armor when it doesn't do them any good in the first place?

2. KotORBF2Female_Revan

KotORBF2Female_Revan Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 21, 2009
    "Do they really expect a bunch of plastic to protect us from laserfire?"
    - Danson Delta 40 (A Clone Apart)

I don't think anyone has any idea why...
    Well, maybe the clones do...

3. Darthrevan4ever

Darthrevan4ever Jedi Master star 6

May 3, 2008
    the driods don't take cover because that would ruin there tatic of swarm the enemy with numbers.
    and the clone armor protects them from slug throwers and sharpnal and glancing blaster shots

4. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    The Hidden Enemy actually shows how the "swarming" tactic can be quite effective.

5. O_C

O_C Jedi Youngling

Feb 28, 2009
    This makes little sense. You can swarm without marching in parade like fashion. Furthermore, the use of artillery and air support more or less makes any parade group formation suicidal. Desert Storm saw Allied troops decimate Iraqi forces with overwhelming numbers in some engagements. No parade formations there.

Perhaps. The best use I've seen is as an environmental suit for hard vacuum.

6. O_C

O_C Jedi Youngling

Feb 28, 2009
    If you have unlimited resources and can bring unlimited droids to the party sure. Hidden Enemy is a good example of tactical use of relatively small units utilizing good intelligence rather then swarming tactic.

7. boletus

boletus Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 2, 2008
    ...suddenly appear, everytime you are near. Just like me, they long to be...

Just playing. Even if they are useful in a swarming tactic. We've seen, in this series, the droids have a want for self-preservation. At least just now in the Storm Over Ryloth... the droids are looking for escape pods when the ship is going down... If they want to survive, why wouldn't you see them taking cover more often?

Not that I mind really, I've been thoroughly enjoying the show.

8. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000

It's not a perhaps: This screenshot proves that at the very least, it will protect you from shrapnel and concussion-historically the two biggest casualty-producers on a battlefield-from explosions tearing you apart:

[image=http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y137/Chrlsgain/star%20%20wars/vlcsnap-11404137.png]

The clone to the exploding AT-TE's immediate left is of particular interest: He's barely feet away from the blast and is still in one piece in an environment presumably filled with razor-sharp pieces of flying metal, not to mention an observable concussion effect as it knocks every clone in the immediate area to the ground. This shot clearly demonstrates clone armor to protect quite well against concussion and shrapnel at the very least.

9. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Their cheap and stupid. I think it is their lack of cover that most represents this (especially as the biggest improvement in the Droid commandos seems to be their use of cover.) It also has a nice, Roman Legion feel, and Star Wars is all about stuff like that.

10. O_C

O_C Jedi Youngling

Feb 28, 2009
    The whole tactics of the show really don't make much sense from a combat point of view. But this is a show geared towards kids remember.

The whole droids talking to each other is rather comical. Why do droids who can communicate those wireless need to use vocal communication?

11. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Probably cause the people who bought them wanted to know what their droids were saying. They're a paranoid bunch. ;)

12. O_C

O_C Jedi Youngling

Feb 28, 2009
    This in itself doesn't make much sense. If that armor can stop shrapnel from piercing the armor, it should be able to stop blaster fire (which in itself isn't actual science, particle beams are far more realistic). Modern ceramic armor is actually quite good at stop plasma. If the armor is hard enough and able to disperse the energy of shrapnel, why can't it do the same for blaster fire?

I fully realize the whole show isn't trying to portray combat in any real realistic fashion as evident by the episode, but c'mon, some stuff doesn't make sense.

[/quote]

13. WedgeWalker

WedgeWalker Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 15, 2008
    Totally thought the first post was going to say

...suddenly appear, every time you are near?

14. O_C

O_C Jedi Youngling

Feb 28, 2009
    I suppose, but Dooku seems like a very intelligent man. You'd think he'd know better. Even SBDs advance parade style and they ain't cheap. Even Droidekas in ball form advance like that. Apparently the concept of overlapping fields of fire with Droidekas escapes Lucas.

15. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    This in itself doesn't make much sense. If that armor can stop shrapnel from piercing the armor, it should be able to stop blaster fire (which in itself isn't actual science, particle beams are far more realistic). Modern ceramic armor is actually quite good at stop plasma. If the armor is hard enough and able to disperse the energy of shrapnel, why can't it do the same for blaster fire?

[face_laugh] My friend, you don't know what you're talking about if you think the ceramic armor in a soldier's personal body armor-in other words, armor a person can actually move in-can stop a plasma stream.

And secondly: Look at the sort of effects blasters have on things: They blow holes in walls in ANH & TESB, literally reduce droids to splinters in AOTC and ROTS, and light Grievous, Beru, and Owen on fire. They're way more lethal than shrapnel and blast effect. Armor that can stop shrapnel is by no means likely to stop blaster shots.

Additionally, blasters are particle-beam weapons:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Blaster#Blaster_mechanics

16. O_C

O_C Jedi Youngling

Feb 28, 2009
    Except that's not how a particle beam actually works. A particle beam is a constant steam of energy. Once you stop emitting it, the beam ends. The most reasonable explanation for a 'laser' gun is actually plasma weapons that have the plasma encased in some casing such as a membrane or magnetic field. That allows the plasma to travel distances without dispersing. Furthermore an actual laser beam would instantly hit anything you pointed it at due to the speed of light. In some ways, SW is almost as bad as Star Trek in making up 'science.'

You do know that ceramic parts are used in plasma cutters no, particularly the parts that are exposed to the plasma torch? And that ceramic inserts in body armor have been shown to resist plasma quite well no?

The blaster itself doesn't make much sense.

17. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    Maybe, but SBDs can take at least three shots from a high-end blaster rifle before going down- I imagine cheaper, militia weapons wouldn't even stop them. And they are too bulky for most cover anyway.

Dooku is smart...but he intends for the CIS to lose.

18. O_C

O_C Jedi Youngling

Feb 28, 2009
    Interestingly enough, in Republic Commando, SBDs DO take cover. Especially on the harder setting. They pop out and launch missiles at you. The save the wookie mission is rather difficult for that reason and that the jacked up spider droids...

Plus SBDs get turned into bantha hash against rocket launching troopers and Jet troopers.

Gotta wonder why SBDs aren't armed with close combat weapons, especially since they often deal with Jedi.

19. Timewatch

Timewatch Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 2, 2008
    Why aren't all droids armed with close combat weapons? If I was in charge of the droid armies... Well, I'd do a lot of things, but I'd definatly issue out vibro-blade bayonets or something like that. Anything that can go through clone armor. And give the SBD's blades with cortosis on them or something.

20. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    Cortosis is rare and expensive, you can't afford to mass produce it. Also, while there are a lot of jedi, most of their enemies are still clones and militia soldiers, and I don't see much point in trying to beat the jedi at their own game, better to stick to strengths like ranged combat.

Still, the third generation of battle droids do have melee weapons (electric claws for grapple droids, knife and energy shield for air battle droids)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.