main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why do girls hate Star Wars??!?!

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by DarthVader79, Jul 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Avene

Avene Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2000
    Actually, it's pretty easy to spot the geeks and nerds on this board. They're the ones with an icon of their favourite Star Wars character next to their name :p

2. Bastion

Bastion Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 2, 2001
    One of the best ways to get actors or actresses for your productions is simply to show some of your work. Even the simplest effect films still get the "Woah! That's freakin' cool! You did that?!" from the general public. That is usually all you need to get people to want to be in your film.

You just need the opportunity to show some of your work, since you are in school you've got it a bit easier, simply make one of your assignments a video and add a few effects. For anyone out of school you just have to find an alternative.

I personally am one of the leaders of my church's youth group, so I advertise upcoming events using video and have put together camp videos, etc. I actually also organised a movie making weekend where they played some improv acting games, wrote a script, then ran around town filming their epic. Each group then sat in with me while I edited their flick (just something quick in iMovie), then finally we had a formal premiere and awards presentation. It got everyone involved in all aspects of filming while they all had a ton of fun. Now everyone in the church whats to be involved in my latest production.

So with a bit of creative thinking it is quite easy to get actors and actresses, cameramen, makeup artists, costumers, set builders,etc., etc. etc.......!

Another great resource.....friends of friends! But I'll talk more about that when my first fanfilm is released.

3. RocketGirl

RocketGirl Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2002
    Oh, Darthy? Where are you? Anywhere near Santa Cruz? If so, I'll be in your film. I'm dying to be part of a Star Wars fan film. True, I'm working on my own fan film, but it's slow going...but I'll happily act in someone else's flick until mine is ready!

4. DarthVader79

DarthVader79 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2001
    Part is yours if you can fit the description

CASTING CALL!!!
    The part for Dierne Caldaron is open, once again, Christina Gano has offically left the cast of AOTSN, so if you are a 5' to 5'4", "asian pretty girl" that looks over the age of 16, (voice doesnt matter) contact the producer at EZZBOX20@prodigy.net YOU MUST BE WILLING TO SACRIFICE CERTAIN WEEKENDS!!!

And im in South San Francisco, which is an hour and a half away...

5. CoruscantCrisis

CoruscantCrisis Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 25, 2001
    Heh. Man I've got 3 girls lining up to be in my film. Too bad I don't have a part for them yet. Oh well. I can always make another one.

6. Kingleonard

Kingleonard Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 18, 2002
    From the sound of your casting call the thread topic should have been Why do 5' to 5'4" pretty Asian girls hate Star Wars?
    :p

7. Various

Various Jedi Youngling star 2

May 15, 2002
    I dunno, why did 14 year old girls like Titanic so much?

Haha, Whispering was funny :)

Star Wars is geeky. It's also damn popular which shows that everyone's a little geeky. Of course, making your own movie about it crosses a line there. Get defensive, why don't you?! Nobody's going to shove your head into a toliet.

Oh wait...we did that one time.

Okay, so you will get a swirly but at least you've got something to keep your mind off of just how crappy and horrible life really is. Decend into escapism and be happy, oh noble poindexters! [face_devil]

Seriously tho, I show off my anime art to everyone I meet and they think it's cool. I guess I'm just trying to say, lighten up a bit.

Looking for a "cute asian girl" for your role? I think you meant, "girl who won't mind swinging around a dowel rod in my backyard." Let's keep things in perspective, friend. :D

8. LordFrisian

LordFrisian Jedi Youngling

May 21, 2002
    Women *hate* sci-fi???

For my productions, the *opposite* is correct: Filling the female roles is the easiet thing. Whenever I have problems in filling a role, it's a male one. Once I even had to change a character that was originally designed male - because I couldn't find an actor, but had an actress that wanted that role.

9. SovereignKnight

SovereignKnight Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 17, 2001
    Oh man I HAVE to chime in here.

First things first: Don't get a girlfriend. They are very expensive and will rip out your heart and stomp on it and they do mushy things for no reason and bad things are always your fault etc, etc.

Second: I'm not a geek in any way, but I've known many. And they have lots of money.

I know what you mean. I have a friend who absolutley hates that 'stupid space movie with the stupid gold robot'. In fact, none of the girls I know like Star Wars at all. I dunno why. Chicks just don't like Sci-Fi. It's a guy thing like tools and cars. They like weepy sucky movies like The Piano and Waiting to Exhale. Maybe it's an emotional thing. Plus, chicks tend to think in more rational, down-to-earth terms while guys like to suspend belief and see things blow up. :)

There are a few. Some are even hotties. Zayn comes to mind. Others are just willing to expand their minds beyond things like love stories and boring stuff like boats sinking with Leo DiCaprio on board. Those are the ones I like.

By the way, they are expensive and evil too. All chicks fit that catagory.

There is no answer. The truth is not out there. Deal with it. :p

SK

10. Bellyup

Bellyup Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 29, 2002
    Chicks just don't like Sci-Fi. It's a guy thing like tools and cars. They like weepy sucky movies like The Piano and Waiting to Exhale. Maybe it's an emotional thing....

*jaw drops open and hits the floor*

Of all the bally cheek!!!

I am not impressed by the popular thoughts about 'chicks'. Actually, I hate 'weepy sucky movies'. I wouldn't go near Titanic with a ten-foot pole and I love the part when Jango gets his head chopped off. Contrary to most beliefs, there are millions of female Star Wars fans out there and we are all very proud of it!

*murmers of agreement from other girls*

If you guys go around saying things like that, I'm not surprised even a smidgen that you haven't got a Star Wars loving girlfriend!!

11. Pixelito

Pixelito Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    see? what did I tell you, BellyUp would have something to say about this :D

12. LordFrisian

LordFrisian Jedi Youngling

May 21, 2002
    ... and of course, she's right. Btw, the only person I know having a life-size Darth Vader standing in her living room is a woman.

Just one thing, Bellyup: What's so bad about Titanic???

13. SovereignKnight

SovereignKnight Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 17, 2001
    What's a bally cheek?

14. darthdastoli

darthdastoli Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2000
    I find it very easy now to fill my female roles. But, I have never actually had a female part in a fanfilm, only my original concepts. A lot of chicks get excited at the idea of "being in a movie" but they never think about the time and commitment. I had one film delayed many weeks because our actress was always late, or she couldn;t film. She really gave us a hard time.

15. Bastion

Bastion Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 2, 2001
    Anyone who thinks that there are no female SW fans obviously hasn't been over to the Fan Fiction boards. They are possibly the majority, well of the skilled writers they would be the majority I've heard.

I stumbled into the fanfic boards one day, then realised there was a bunch of geeks and promptly ran away! :p

Anyone who is such a fan of SW that they want to make their own 'tribute' to it or they want to create their own part of the SW universe is definately a geek I'm afraid! I'm not much of a SW fan (I can barely sit through watching it again), but unfortunately I'm a web designer and I spend way too much time online so I don't escape being a geek! But remember, as has been said above, geeks are cool!

Well, that's what my mum says.

:D

16. RocketGirl

RocketGirl Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2002
    Sorry, Darth, I don't even come close to fitting the bill. I'm 26, 5'9", so racially mixed that my ethnicity is indeterminate (Italian-Austrian-Cherokee-French-Black), and built about like Xena.

Sorry... (Maybe you can't get an actress because yer being too picky? Just a thought...)

17. PadawanNick

PadawanNick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    There are really a lot of females very interested in Star Wars, but, like anyone, they may not be intereseted in commiting time and effort to a project without knowing how it will look in the end. The "show them your work" option along with a sampling of the exisiting Fan Films seems to work well.

I have two female leads in my film. The film was written with one in mind for a key character. After I had a story outlined on paper, I showed it to her along with a look at Duality. She was hooked instantly.

Then, she and I were reviewing script changes in the lobby of the karate school we practice at, and another female friend of ours asked what we were doing. We let her look over the script and she went nuts asking to play a part.

In the end, even without any acting experience, both did a great job as a result of their enthusiasm in the project and we all had a lot of fun filming it.

Good luck.

Have fun.

18. CarlCampbell

CarlCampbell Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 28, 2002
    Also it has alot to do with our instincts. While women normally grow out of certain things, us guys stay behind on certain things, not for the worse at that. We can still be really thrilled about things like Star Wars while most of the women are said to be meditating about life.
    I heard about this the other day. Men never grow up in the sense that we normally cherish are childhood passions for ever and we always love our toys/gadgets.

Carl

19. Jedi_Cougar

Jedi_Cougar Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 14, 2001
    Why are Computer Science programs full of guys? Hmmm.

20. JediTAC

JediTAC Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 30, 2000
    SoverignKnight writes:
    First things first: Don't get a girlfriend. They are very expensive and will rip out your heart and stomp on it and they do mushy things for no reason and bad things are always your fault etc, etc.

Me thinks someone got DUMPED recently. ;)

21. Bellyup

Bellyup Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 29, 2002
    What is wrong with Titanic? Hmm....nothing wrong exactly, but definetly not my kind of movie. hehe-I showed my Mom this thread and she flared up too. She also stays away from Titanic and Gone With the Wind-Lethal Weapon and Starwars are among her favorite movies.

If you aren't british (which most of you aren't) you won't know what bally cheek is and it's sort of hard to explain. Cheek is a term for insolence, rudeness, sarcasim, or just plain cockiness. I suppose you could say that Han has a lot of cheek. And bally is an word used to express extremeness. (is that an actual word?) So 'bally cheek' is extreme any of the words listed above-lol. It's really just a form of surprise at something someone has said that really miffs you. And im not going into the details of what miffed means.

Toodlepip for now!

MTFBWY

22. Ben-Kushaan_Exile

Ben-Kushaan_Exile Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 29, 2000
    In my experience it's best not to just go up to your girl friends and ask if they want to be in a Star Wars fan film. First, ask them if they could watch a different film that you and your friends made and see there reaction to that.

I showed a group of my friends, 4 girls included, 2 of our films and right after they were over, the first thing all of the girls said was "Can we be in your next film?! I don't care what it is."

I think this might come from woman wanting attention. If they see that they would have a role on "the big screen" and your serious about making a film, they jump at the idea.

23. WhisperingDeath

WhisperingDeath Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    Sigh, when will you brits learn to stop screwing with our great language. Just because you created it doesn't mean you can mess it up.

And for the record, Titanic was bad.

24. PadawanNick

PadawanNick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    Sigh, when will you brits learn to stop screwing with our great language. Just because you created it doesn't mean you can mess it up.

For more on this, make sure you see the new Austin Powers movie. There is a great segment with Mike Myers and Michael Caine speaking "British" to each other. (It's subtitled for those of us in the U.S.) Great fun. I couldn't help but think about some of the goings-on in this forum during that.

Have fun.

25. CarlCampbell

CarlCampbell Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 28, 2002
    WhisperingDeath, the worst thing you can do in the world is generalize for something someone else did. So instead of saying "you brits", you could maybe state the name of the person involved. That is not something you should do ever, and this sorta thing might get you into trouble some day. What did you say "we" screwed up, anyhow?

Carl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.