main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why Do Lightsabers Create Shadows?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by _Sublime_Skywalker_, Feb 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    Yea,stupid question,the answer is really because of the sticks they use on the stunt sabers. But if the blades are pure energy,then why did Lucas not edit out the shadows?

Yea,I'm kinda just nitpicking,but I just thought I'd make conversation about this.

2. Theory55

Theory55 Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 3, 2004
    They block out other light. They cast shadows in the prequels too, which could be easily corrected given today's technology, but they aren't corrected. It's not a mistake.

3. Magic_Al

Magic_Al Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 18, 2003
    How hard is this to test? Anybody have one of those plasma sphere thingies? If you take it out in sunlight and put it near a surface where you can get a sharp shadow, does the plasma cast a shadow?

4. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Somewhere in the bowels of the Saga forum is a technology of SW thread. There is also a thread somewhere in SW Community dedicated to lighsabers.
    In both of them I posted a page from the long gone B^2 SW site which discussed the possible physics of lightsabers.

Your're looking for Model 6 when you find them...

5. BOBERSON

BOBERSON Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 30, 2005
    Hey...I'm not looking!!!

Why are there no reflections from the lasers???

That's more important.

500 helmuts=0 reflections

Yeah, right!

700 walls=0 reflections

Please Lucas you're killing me!

6. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    You're actually allowing something that trivial to overwhelm the beauty of shiny sword fights? o_O

7. BOBERSON

BOBERSON Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 30, 2005
    All I'm saying is...DUDE!!!

I wants me some 'flections!

Can you imagine how truly radical it could have been with all those troopers coming down the halls with red and green flasing off the suits and walls!

Ultimate eye candy!

Would it have taken away from the gun fights???

NO WAY,DUDES!!!

8. murray_powers

murray_powers Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 30, 2005
    YEAH! What Boberson Said!

thanks for reading

9. Saberwielder315

Saberwielder315 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    Your nitpicking though and saying a lot of things like rad and totally and I dont understand what your trying to say. Thge lightsaber fights are awesome and the reflections your talking about would be straight up cheese.

10. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Beams of energy don't necessarily reflect on walls or other surfaces, it depends on the wave-length.

It is entirely possible that blaster fire has a wave-length that doesn't reflect. Heck, Star Wars doesn't even work like our physics do, so why is it so important if blaster fire reflects or not?

11. murray_powers

murray_powers Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 30, 2005
    How can you say that their physics don't apply to us? Physics are universal! If they weren't, planets would be colliding into each other and crap. The reality is that George Lucas doesn't pay attention to the little details. He doesn't care reflections and he doesn't care about us. He is a sellout.

thanks for reading.

12. kingthlayer

kingthlayer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 7, 2003
    Anybody have one of those plasma sphere thingies?

lol

13. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Star Wars is fiction. Basically every work of fiction wouldn't work in our universe, so don't try to apply something like real life laws on fictional work.

Just because we have laws of physics doesn't mean everything else has to have them.
    Star Wars has sound in space, doesn't exist in reality, lightsabers don't exist, blasters don't really exist, aliens with an earth like build likely don't exist anywhere near us, if at all.

I already gave you an answer for "reflections", even our laws of physics allow the non-existance of reflections.

If you are interested in everything being exactly like it is on earth, you shouldn't watch movies, play games or read books...

14. Saberwielder315

Saberwielder315 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    Basically live the life of a capatalist conformist who want everything to be perfect.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.