Why do older threads get locked?

Discussion in 'FanForce Communications' started by Minder, Jan 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Minder Jedi Knight

star 3
    Can someone please explain to me why older threads get locked??

There are several reasons I ask this.

Locking a thread has no effect other than prohibiting people from posting it, and If someone asks then a thread gets unlocked. Im not talking about controversial threads, but mundane threads.

Just because a thread is outdated is no reason to prohibit people from using it. If its that old, I can see a reason for removing it (For space and bandwidth) but locking and unlocking it just seems silly to me.
  2. Skiara ~• Manager WNU •~ ~• RSA FFC •~

Manager
    star 10
    Old threads get locked automatically after six months. Of course sometimes our Mods lock new threads as well, but then it is mostly because of redundancy.

If you want to post in a locked thread, then you have always the possibility to ask a Mod to reopen it.

I hope that answers your questions. :)
  3. Minder Jedi Knight

star 3
    Unfortunatly no, it dosent answer the question, it simply illustrates my point.

I can understand Linking and then locking a redundant thread. Moving then locking a misplaced thread. Locking a damaging thread. But locking and unlocking an old thread?? I simply dont see the point.
  4. Jedi_Dajuan Admin: FanForce and Games

Administrator
    star 6
    It's just something built into the board systems here. We don't have any control over it.
  5. Skiara ~• Manager WNU •~ ~• RSA FFC •~

Manager
    star 10
    Mhm... Since the boards lock automatically all old threads on its own after six months, there isn't much to do against it. As far as I know the only thing that you can do against automatically locking threads is upping old threads. But if you would up all the old threads it would really much work, would look like spamming and would confuse everyone else, because the new and used threads drop down.

So the only way is to let the boards lock old threads automatically and if someone wants to use it again, he has to ask a mod to unlock it.

I hope you got your question answered now. ;)
  6. Minder Jedi Knight

star 3
    Yes I understand the answer, however this is the first Web board software I have ever heard of that does that.

All other boards I know simply let old threads fall of, and some trim after a certain number of pages, or a specific amount of time.

The practice simply struck me as rather strange.
  7. DarthJurist Admin Emeritus

star 5
    The default setting is that threads are pruned after a certain amount of time (one year maybe?), but FF chapters are allowed to have this option turned off once they become official. There are times when it's useful (and/or amusing) to go back and read old threads to find information, and many FF chapters choose this option to retain club history. We don't have server space issues, which is probably the main reasons most sites automatically prune old topics.

Any older thread can be re-opened by a mod upon request.

~H~
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.