Why do people believe that boy bands and other teen idols are sqeaky-clean?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Darth_Jeremy, Jul 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Jeremy Jedi Master

star 2
    Why do people have this perception?

I think that since their fan bases are mostly kids, people assume they have to be sqeaky-clean.

When a teen idol does something "adult", parents complain, "You're supposed to be a role model for our kids!" My question is: Since when?

What do you think?

unlocking.
  2. Ramius Jedi Knight

star 3
    Yeah, I kinda understand what you're saying. It doesn't even matter what age listens, since when is a band supposed to be role models for anyone? Are you talking about the two guys from N'sync that were seen licking whipped cream of two girls breasts? :) I think I heard about that on Leno.
  3. Darth_Jeremy Jedi Master

star 2
    This just proves that parents rely too much on the media to babysit their kids.
  4. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
  5. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    I know they aren't squeaking clean, but if they are marketing their music to young kids, I think parents are right in feeling they should have a responsible image. Elsewise, take their marketing somewhere else.

-sj loves kevin spacey
  6. Radiohead Jedi Master

star 4
    If there is a specific intent to market to young children, then certainly these artists should be careful of how they present themselves.

Often, however, there is no desire to target one particular age group. In that case, artists shouldn't be held responsible if a certain child decides to imitate them. If a parent can't be responsible and decide what he or she thinks his or her child can listen to, then there is a bigger problem with the parent, not the artist.
  7. Adi_Gallia_9 Chosen One

star 5
    I agree that parents do need to take more responsibility over their children and monitor who they listen to and admire. People like Britney Spears and *Nsync are marketed to young girls. That's why one can find Britney Spears backpacks and *Nsync lipgloss. I hope parents do look past the image of 'squeaky clean' boy bands and see the truth. For example, Joey from *Nsync has a daughter. Numerous members of the Backstreet Boys have been through rehab programs. While their music is not offensive (at least the lyrics aren't- I do find their music offensive... ;)) their behavior - and clothes- can be inappropriate for young children.

While these artists didn't choose to become role models, they must accept that is what they have become. Britney for example has said she doesn't want to be a role model, but when you are a popular singer that appears on many children's shows, you don't have that luxury. She's a very public and popular person with children and like it or not, she's a role model. I wish she'd accept that and set a better example for youth.
  8. Super_Nation_Jock Jedi Master

star 4

The idea that Justin Timberlake and Britney Spears were a couple and that she held onto her virginity is ridiculous. I can't believe she had the nerve to keep up that crap to her fans.
  9. stevo Jedi Master

star 4
    I know they aren't squeaking clean, but if they are marketing their music to young kids, I think parents are right in feeling they should have a responsible image.

I disagree, if the kid's parents don't want their kids exposed to them, don't buy their products. Boy bands and pop-princesses have the right to do whatever they want-- within the boundaries of the law.
  10. nyjets Jedi Master

star 4
    what pisse me off is they think punk rock is like a bad thing for htere kids to get into
  11. DarthPhelps Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    solojones is correct. To market their product to kids while producing a product that certainly isn't is evil.

stevo is also correct that they have the legal right to do this...but that doesn't make it right. Not only that, but having the legal right does not invalidate the parent's right to desire that they change their marketing tactics.

Think about it.
  12. stevo Jedi Master

star 4
    All I'm saying is that you can't tell idols to stop doing what they are and can do.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.