main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why do people complain about toilet humor in TPM, yet tolerate it in LOTR?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by qui-gon-kim, Jun 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. qui-gon-kim

qui-gon-kim Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2001
    I brought this up in the AOTC forum, but since this has to do with TPM, I'll bring it up here.

So many people complain about the poop jokes in TPM, saying that lowbrow humor has no place in a epic mythology like SW. Yet in Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, not only is there bathroom humor (the hobbits fall off a cliff, and Pippin lands next to a big pile of poop, saying "That was close.") there's also drug humor! Now before people say that pipe weed was in the books, Saruman's line "Your love of the halfling's leaf has clearly slowed your mind." was never in the book. Besides I thought pipe weed was described as tobacco.

So how come nobody complains about this in LOTR? How come nobody's crucifying Peter Jackson for defiling Tolkein's legacy by adding lowbrow humor in the movie?

2. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Let's not forget that in the FOTR EE, Pippin gets a little gassy after having eaten many pieces of lembas.

Rick McCallum loves you!

3. qui-gon-kim

Apr 19, 2001
    Thanks Adam, I forgot about that.

I guess Pippin is the Jar Jar of FOTR. :)

4. MELKOR-MORGOTH

MELKOR-MORGOTH Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 7, 2003
    Saruman has no right to make fun of Gandalf for smoking. He's smoking even more pipe weed in secret imitation of Gandalf.

What toilet humour is there in Star Wars, anyhow?

5. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Because this is a STAR WARS forum and not a LORD OF THE RINGS one, I have not actually vocalized my minor complaints about LOTR here. Why would I? I'll go to theonering.net for that, thanks. This is the place for complaining about things in Star Wars we didn't like. And discussing things we did like.

6. Darth Geist

Darth Geist Jedi Master star 5

Oct 23, 1999
    Bill the Pony never farted directly into the camera.

7. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    strilo, there are two topics where other Trilogies were discussed here and while people brought up the toilet humour in Star Wars, suprisingly these people forgot to mention it about the other Trilogies.

If you are having difficultly finding the topics, I'll link them for you if you want me to? Always a pleasure to help. :)

8. qui-gon-kim

Apr 19, 2001
    Bill the Pony never farted directly into the camera.

Yet we have Peter Jackson belching right in front of the camera in Bree.

9. Darth Geist

Darth Geist Jedi Master star 5

Oct 23, 1999
    Yet we have Peter Jackson belching right in front of the camera in Bree.

Even so, there are degrees to that kind of humor, and the Eopie fart was decidedly more crude and in-your-face.

It's the difference between belching at the table and standing on your chair, mooning your family and letting one rip. :p

10. Jedi_Learner

Jul 10, 2002
    For about six seconds in the entire movie, some people love to blow this out of proportion. Be thankful we got the shortened version of the Eopie fart. Look at the Deleted Scenes on your Episode I dvd for more information. 8-}

11. DarthSil

DarthSil Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 19, 2003
    Nice topic people. Nice topic.

12. Ray_Nicolet

Ray_Nicolet Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 24, 2003
    The reason why people complain is because that TPM was a horrible movie. You're sitting though a 2 hour disaster of a movie and nothing is entertaining you and then you get Jar Jar stepping on poop and Jar Jar getting farted on. I guess the big factor is Jar Jar. He is just too damn annoying and retarded.

13. Cometgreen

Cometgreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2002
    Wow, Ray_Nicolet, where did you find all of your facts? I really loved how you backed up your argument.

I find them both funny. Jar Jar steppin' in poo was humorous, and Pippin almost fallin' in poo was humorous.

Now, let's not even get into Jurassic Park. ;)

Cometgreen

14. Ray_Nicolet

Ray_Nicolet Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 24, 2003
    Did you find Laura Dern searching for plants inside dino poo funny?

15. Cometgreen

Cometgreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2002
    Yes, actually, along with the "Now that's a big pile of ****" and when Grant accidentally stepped in poo and tried whiping it off of his shoe. Remind you of anyone? ;)

Cometgreen

16. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    It does, except those bits were actually funny, where as the Jar Jar bit was just rather annoying.

17. Bjork

Bjork Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 21, 2002
    *Tries to picture Jar-Jar wearing Grant's hat and going head to head with a T-Rex*

Now do we have a idea of how he possibly could get iced in Episode III? 8-}

18. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    When Pippin says "That was close!", I always thought it was a rock he was looking at. I´ll have to check it again.

19. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    No, it's poodo.

Ringwraith horsey poodo to be exact. That's one of the early forewarnings of their presence.

PJ introduced the witch-kings with poop.

20. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    People complain because of the old double-standard. That and LOTR websites are actually ran by LOTR fans, not LOTR bashers. They don't tolerate that kind of junk. Although I'm personally not wild about it in either of the two. It's fine in comedies though.

21. GeekBob

GeekBob Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 15, 2002
    Primarily, I'd say that the difference (setting aside, for argument's sake, the easier answer of different strokes, different folks) is about overall effect.

There are PLENTY, I'm sure, who don't care for what scant toilet humor can be found in the LOTR films. However, almost NO ONE can be found who's making a case that such elements are evocative or representative of some larger problem in the film itself.

Most people who are "violently" upset about the toilet humor, Jar-Jar, etc., don't so much "hate" these things in and of themselves, but rather see them as obvious reveals of the (in their opinion) deeper, more pervasive flaws in the PT thus far.

A common and consistent "complaint" leveled against TPM is that it's pitched "too low" in terms of target age-demographic, style of humor and intelligence level. To those who level these charges, Jar Jar Binks and fart jokes are the most obvious bits of "evidence."

On the flip side, while I'm SURE some folks are truly annoyed by the horse-poop in FOTR, I haven't heard ANYONE hold it up as "proof" that the film is aimed at an infantile level. (Frankly, I'd say anyone trying to make such a case would be VERY hard pressed to find any proof at all.)

22. Punisher

Punisher Jedi Master star 4

Oct 20, 1998
    WHY?

Becuase Peter Jackson is the new god-like director of trilogies for all geeks! :D

Didn't you get the newsletter? :confused:

Personally, I think both series directors are gutless, that's right, GUTLESS!
    The only way to redeem themselves is complete female nudity on camera! I don't mean Jocasta Nu either, I mean someone hot like Dorme! [face_love]

No body doubles either, this is for film history and historical prevers, uh, preservation!!!
    Also, 'cause I'm never gonna see Rose Byrne naked (I'm not deluding myself like those Natalie Portman fanboys! She's rich, good looking and has an education, she ain't interested in you!!!) and it was because of ROTJ and Leia's bikini that I went into early puberty!!!
    Lucas you owe me! :mad:

Okay, they can show some naked guys too, but I want a warning so I can get some popcorn or use the restroom while that's going on!

While I can stand male nudity (if I didn't, taking a shower would be a problem), I don't wanna pay good money to see that!!!
    When it comes to naked women, I expect that I'm gonna lose some money somehow, so this way, I don't look like some creepy guy you see on some reality dating show or Anakin Skywalker, I can take a peek and live a well adjusted life!!!

Waitaminute, what was the topic again?! :confused:

EDIT: BTW, my real name is Beavis and it would really make SW cool if there were naked chicks and fire.
    If there were naked chicks when Anakin falls into a fiery pit, that would be really cool!
    Fire! Naked chicks! Fire! Naked chicks!
    (Slapped by male companion, Butt-head)
    Beavis, shut up you butt-munch!

23. MetalGoldKnight

MetalGoldKnight Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    "Because this is a STAR WARS forum and not a LORD OF THE RINGS one, I have not actually vocalized my minor complaints about LOTR here. Why would I? I'll go to theonering.net for that, thanks. This is the place for complaining about things in Star Wars we didn't like. And discussing things we did like."

Sorry, it doesn't work that way. See, on LotR forums, people who bash the LotR movie get banned pretty quickly, as opposed to the SW forums, where people who bash SW get their own official threads dedicated to them.

[face_plain]

24. Jedi_Learner

Jul 10, 2002
    I feel and share your anger MetalGoldKnight.

25. Punisher

Punisher Jedi Master star 4

Oct 20, 1998
    Let the record show that I wouldn't care about seeing any of the women from the LOTR movies naked, but when it comes to SW movies I'm all for it. :D

With some exceptions like Jocasta Nu and Shmi Skywalker, cause they are a bit old and I'm not into that.

BTW, we really haven't seen any toilet humor in these films because toilets don't seem to exist in either series!

I've always figured SW was above fart jokes, I'm not a LOTR geek, so I'm not that upset.
    Fart jokes seem so "Earthy", not like something in a GFFA.
    Imagine if Obi-Wan ripped one while Vader was cutting him in half with a saber...

Obi-Wan: If you strike me down, I will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine.

Luke: Ben?

Vader strikes Obi-Wan down with a swing of his lighsaber.

BBBBBRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!

See? Seems wrong, doesn't it? ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.