main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why do People hate AOTC?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by BigMackDaddy, Mar 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigMackDaddy

BigMackDaddy Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 6, 2003
    It seems that every other review of AOTC is full of negativity and nitpicking. What do people have against this film and it's predecessor TPM?

2. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    When they were younger, AOTC beat them up in a dark alley and took their wallet.

I sense potential for this to become a basher-gusher war thread. Let it be known that your beloved moderators will be watching this thread with great interest.

Rick McCallum loves you!

3. NeoBaggins

NeoBaggins Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    You may not want to throw TPM in with that question. And anyway, who says they hate it?

4. BaronFel88

BaronFel88 Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 25, 2004
    I just trace it to the stigma that SW has with the media and Hollywood. It's discrimination, people! :mad:

5. winter_chili

winter_chili Jedi Master star 5

Nov 6, 2002
    The romantic dialogue is crappy

6. BigMackDaddy

BigMackDaddy Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 6, 2003
    I think it's because it's different. It isn't as they knew it when they were younger.

It's like welcoming a stranger into your home to act as your new father. If that makes sense.

On it's own merits it's a pretty good cinematic achievement.

7. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    It's hard to say. I don't think the majority of people hate it, I think it's just certain aspects of the film that people don't agree with or cringe at. I know that's true for myself. I like the film as a whole, but certain things like the love story, the dialogue and some of the acting make me cringe. This does bring down my overall experience of the film, but it doesn't bring it down so far to make me say that I hate it. I'm sure this is the case for many other fans.

8. BaronFel88

BaronFel88 Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 25, 2004
    Yeah, I feel the same way sometimes during the movie. But that doesn't take away anything from it being good.

9. mixza

mixza Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2004
    Because they're crazy!

In my opinion anyway.

AOTC-haters: Don't kill me!

10. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    Well, not to get into it to much so as to encourage the basher/fan arguements, but it's just that there's a loud and aggressive group of people who don't like the prequels for any number of reasons. They usually hate ROTJ too. Most SW fans like AOTC just fine, and many of them rate it as either their favorite of second favorite. It got mostly positive reviews from movie critics, but there were some negtives. The press has been very tough on SW for years and some people have fallen into the anti-SW herd.

Mostly they hate: the acting, the story, the effects, the direction, the dialogue, and the editing. They also hate the characters. So that leaves the music, which many of them also feel is inferior. Of all that I agree that AOTC (but not TPM) could have been edited somewhat better, although it's still my favorite SW film-at least until May 2005.

Your focus determines your reality. Maybe the best SW line ever, and that sums up this entire subject. Don't let anybody's negativity bother you. Judge AOTC by it's own merits and on your own terms.

11. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    t's like welcoming a stranger into your home to act as your new father.

I'd say it's more like an uncle coming to live with you. Your old father isn't going anywhere. You just now have this other person to deal with.

I liked TPM and AOTC, but it took me a while to get used to them. Whereas I'd seen all the OT within the space of a couple of weeks.

Rick McCallum loves you!

12. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    I've had 20+ years to study and love the OT.
    The PT is just going to need time to reach the same level.

13. NeoBaggins

Oct 28, 2003
    "The PT is just going to need time to reach the same level."

The reason the OT is what it is, is because the majority of people in love with it now were in love with it when they first saw it. You cant tell someone to wait 20 years to like something. Either you dig it or you dont, or a lil or alot. Time cant decide that for an individual.

Hansolo29 broke it down the best it could be explained.

I have yet to see a post where someone says they hate the film. And, I have been witness and victim to a harsh croud who cant accept anything less than AOTC ROCKS!!!

Its a discussion forum about STARWARS. We are here because we like STARWARS.

14. Bad_Feeling

Bad_Feeling Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2002
    Every single movie ever made, has a group of people who will dislike it, I guarantee it.

15. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    I don't think its hated. In fact I think most people liked it. It's just that not everybody thinks its perfect, and internet bashing is popular these days. There are those who have their own with problems with it, but that's the way with everything. Unlike many other movies, Star Wars seems to elicit passionate responses in a lot of people.

16. Cyprusg

Cyprusg Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2002
    Well your answer is in your question. Just look at what the reviews say about it. I don't like it because of the writing and directing specifically, but those entail a very wide range of things that would take too long to get into. Although me saying I don't like it is misleading because I do, but only in the sense of it being a mindless action movie. It's not a movie I watch and say "That was a great movie!" it's more like "the movie itself sucked, but it had some great action!".

But like anything it's all a matter of opinion. I can understand both sides, I can understand why people like it and I can understand why people dislike it. I definitely don't think it's hated by as many people as some make it out to be. All you have to do is look at the IMDB rating (7.1) and how reviewers rated it (Rottentomatoes has it at a 64%), that shows that most people liked the movie, even if most of the reactions were only lukewarm.

17. bburditt

bburditt Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 8, 2004
    There are four things in TPM AND AotC which I dislike strongly enough to make me think I hate the whole PT. Jake Lloyd's acting (even though he was 9). George's inability (in the PT) to create comedic relief.(Mainly aimed at 3PO and Jar-Jar). George's inability to write in general (i.e. "sand"), and Hayden's acting (although that mostly can be blamed on George's failure to provide good material). As much as I strongly believe that George cannot write dialogue... he has done a good job on the general story line for the PT. I think, other than Hayden's lines (which unfortunately encompassed most of the film) AotC was a well done movie in respect to telling the story of SW. Plus Natalie Portman is extremely hot.

18. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    Star Wars isn't for everyone. We are just lucky to see what's so great about it.

Not everyone can.

19. ObiwanJohn

ObiwanJohn Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 12, 2003
    Why do people hate AOTC?

Simple, there are no Ewoks in it. :D

Actually about the only thing I don't like is the droid factory scene. It seemed contrived when I first saw it, then I found out it was not originally in the story and GL went back after principle shooting to do it. That time could've been used for a better action sequence, but that's just my opinion.

20. Hananiah

Hananiah Jedi Master star 4

Jan 15, 2003
    I think that AOTC was in a different format, the style was a lot different from many Hollywood styles today at least personally I got the feeling I was watching early cinema which I liked alot. I do agree that some of the scenes were stilted but so what? Some of the best movies have scenes that aren't so great but I think that AOTC got a hard deal. Maybe it's because people saw the origionals and they expected something different from what they recieved from the prequels.

21. Depa Billaba

Depa Billaba Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 21, 1998
    Bad_Feeling: Every single movie ever made, has a group of people who will dislike it, I guarantee it.

And every single movie ever made also has a group of people who will like it, I guarantee it.

I love the humor in AOTC. I also like Ami's costumes (most of them, any way). I loved the Naboo scenery. I also liked (gasp!) Yoda lightsaber dueling with Dooku. I thought Ani/Ami relationship needed a little more work. I thought Jedi/Sith philosophy needed a little more work. I thought GL should have at least hinted that the Jedi have been doing something about the Sith threat in the last ten years. I think that Obi-Wan should have been shown to be a more powerful character (he killed Maul in TPM, and he couldn't even catch Zam Wessell ??? He couldn't hold on his in battle with Count Dooku???). I wished Mace's character wasn't butchered like that.

Depa Billaba

22. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    "The reason the OT is what it is, is because the majority of people in love with it now were in love with it when they first saw it. You cant tell someone to wait 20 years to like something. Either you dig it or you dont, or a lil or alot. Time cant decide that for an individual."

You are correct. When Star Wars was released it was new, fresh and exciting. People fell in love with it instantly. But already by the time of Empire, people had made up their own minds of what SW was supposed to be, and surprisingly quite a few thought ESB wasn't it. Add on RotJ and some old-school fans lost all faith in Lucas and the trilogy calling it an excuse to sell Teddy Bears.

Flash-forward 16 years when SW has been transformed into the hearts and minds of most of the original fans, and a whole new generation of Video fans, into the Holy Trilogy. Suddenly the old movies are perfection, and there's been nearly two decades to imagine what comes next. TPM didn't have a snowball's chance in Hades to compete with the imagination of the fans.

AotC was a fantastic movie IMO and possibly the best SW film to date. But DS615 had it right. These new movies have the fame and praise of the OT working against them at this time. You may not like what you see because it didn't fit what you expected. That means it may take time for you to come around and learn to love the saga as a whole.

Will everyone eventually learn to love Jarjar and the Prequels? No. But then there's plenty of people still cringing from Wicket and the change from happy-go-lucky Star Wars to dark and dramatic Empire.

In the end it's all a matter of personal taste.

23. DarthNomis

DarthNomis Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 2, 2001
    Over 300 million dollars domestically. 600 worlwide.

I sure there is a lot of films out threr who wish people "hated" their movie as much.

24. NeoBaggins

Oct 28, 2003
    "That means it may take time for you to come around and learn to love the saga as a whole."

Come around, and learn to love. Why do people keep saying stuff like that. Give a person the respect and credit of knowing weather they enjoy something or not. If I know that I like the films, telling someone that feels lesser they will "learn" to like them threw time is condesending. I feel TPM was a horrible representation of STARWARS and I believe this to be because it had been a while since Lucas got down. I also believe he thought he could make a merchandise machine and slap STARWARS on it and fans would eat it up. Didt work that way. He straightened up for EP2 and still the writing lacks but it is a better film because the firt was so bad (to me). I believe the next will be hands down the best.

The ROTJ thing is strange. All the Muppet talk and Lucas wanting to sell toys (it is the episode that produced the most action figures). I didnt realize I didnt favor the Ewoks and stuff until I got older. Now, I could see what Lucas was doing. He continued the same pattern with the SE and into TPM.

DarthMaul duel and Lliam Neeson keeps me from hating TPM. Ewan McGregor and lighsabers in general keep me from hating AOTC. There not really well-made movies but its the only STARWARS iv got so i'll take it and have fun as it was intended. If one believes it to be Shakespearian material, all the better for you to enjoy.

25. Bad_Feeling

Bad_Feeling Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2002
    And every single movie ever made also has a group of people who will like it, I guarantee it.

Yes, that's exactly the point I was trying to make -- if you like a movie then don't let anyone else's opinion get in the way, every movie ever made has someone who hates it, who cares what other people think?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.