main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why do People hate AOTC?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by BigMackDaddy, Mar 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    I will be the first to admit that the editing in AOTC was sloppy and sub-par for a George Lucas project. I was happy to see that Lucas replaced Ben Burtt with a veteran editor who has plenty of good films under his belt.

2. Padmes_love_slave24

Padmes_love_slave24 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 24, 2003
    "Well Matt Stone and Trey Parker haven't been too shy about expressing how they are huge SW fans but didn't like the SE or the PT so far".

And anyone is suppose to care what Matt Stone and Trey Parker, these 2 morons with their opinions. I don't care. Also as a fan who signed up on the originaltrilogy.com petition I find it disgusting that people can't enjoy BOTH versions of the films. I agree that the originals should be preserved... I also could care less about some secular view of the prequels. Media types are gutless sheeps, one minute they hate yah, next they love yah. Memo to everyone here, South Park BLOWS, and the Simpsons has hadn't a good episode for the past 5 years!

Do not call people morons over their opinion. Next time you flame it's a ban.

3. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    Yeah, as much as I love AOTC, I have to admit that the editing was bad. Why in God's name did GL hire Ben Burtt as the sole editor? He also screwed up some of the action sequences (which he actually did very well on in TPM)Hopefully, he we do well with the action sequences in episode 3. Lets hope to God that they dont chop down any of THE DUEL. Im one of the few who is confident that he wont chop it down at all. I think Lucas knows how much people are anticipating this duel. I think he figured that people werent really anticipating the lightsaber duels in AOTC. (I wasnt). I actually expected AOTC to have subpar, short lightsaber duels since all the even numbered episodes have bad lightsaber duels. He had a long movie that he needed to chop down, and he didnt want the PT lightsaber duels to completely overshadow the OT duels. So now we have one OT movie that has a better lightsaber duel than a PT movie. Besides, GL knew that the episode 3 duels would more than make up for it. And that is why I think he wont chop down the episode 3 duel. The editing in TPM was great, and that is why I think people who loved TPM but hated AOTC will like episode 3.

4. -_-_-_-_-_-

Apr 28, 2002
    It's official that Ben Burtt won't be editing Episode III, I forgot the name of the editor he hired. It was in a thead in the TPM forum I believe.

I just watched the latter part of AOTC, from the Tatooine sequence on. Most people complain the end duel was poorly edited with character position in the transition between shots, etc but the only blotched scene transition I witnessed was when Obi-Wan tosses his lightsaber to Anakin. When Dooku strikes Obi-Wan down and is about to deliver the final blow to him, the ramp of Solar Sailor is clearly visible and lies only a few feet from Obi-Wan. After Anakin is tossed the lightsaber and a full hangar shot of Anakin/Dooku engaging follows, the ramp is visible but Obi-Wan is nowhere in the shot.

5. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    It's official that Ben Burtt won't be editing Episode III, I forgot the name of the editor he hired. It was in a thead in the TPM forum I believe.

Roger Barton.

I agree the editing in AOTC is its weakest aspect. It is surprising, because the editing on all the other movies is great.

6. -_-_-_-_-_-

Apr 28, 2002
    The bio for Roger Barton from the OS:

Before becoming an editor for Episode III, Roger Barton began his career editing television features such as Love, Honor & Obey for CBS, Not Without My Children for ABC and Indictment - The McMartin Trial" for HBO, which won an Emmy for Best Achievement in Editing.

He soon went on to work on features as editor for such films as That Darn Cat and later on as an additional editor for Detroit Rock City.

Most recently Barton served as editor on Bad Boys II, Ghost Ship, Pearl Harbor and Gone in 60 Seconds, and as an associate editor on Armageddon.

Barton's additional credits include working with James Cameron as associate editor on Titanic, which won an Oscar for Best Editing.

He currently lives in Los Angeles with his wife, Andrea Wagner-Barton and their chocolate lab, "Buddy."

7. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    The only problems with the edit's where the duels.

8. Philip023

Philip023 Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 30, 2002
    All the Simpsons and South Park did was showcase the disgruntled fans' warped perspective of George Lucas.

More spin.

If they were trying to lampoon Lucas, then the joke is on them.

On the contrary. For such a show that is dedicated to destroying all things beholden to popular culture, it is fitting that they target Lucas and his efforts to tinker with something that they and most people believe is fine the way it is. The joke is on Lucas for drawing up the wrath of Cartman and company.

As far as editing is concerned. That is probably my biggest complaint with the film and the overuse of cgi.

There could have been scenes left in that really expanded the characters and their mindsets as well as provide context for Dooku and his leaving the Jedi.

9. -_-_-_-_-_-

Apr 28, 2002
    The joke is on Lucas for drawing up the wrath of Cartman and company.

I doubt George Lucas even knows who Trey Parker and Matt Stone are, much less cares if they parody him on their little television show.

And yes, CGI was hugely overused in AOTC, just look at the Droid Factory sequence.

10. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    The only problems with the edit's where the duels.

I would say that was part of it. I also think that the love story could have benefited from a better editing job. Like was mentioned earlier on in this thread, a lot of key scenes that would have made the story work (the scene at Padme's home for one) were cut completely from the final film. The way it stands now, the romance is rushed and unbelieveable in my eyes.

11. Philip023

Aug 30, 2002
    Well true, I doubt he gives one damn about who they are or what South park is. But it would surprise me tremendously if he hadn't heard about it.

The duels - well I'm not sure what more could have been put in apart from just lengthening the saber battle itself. That probably isn't reason enough UNLESS in the beginning of the film we see Anakin in a saber battle demonstrating how gifted and powerful in the force he is.

As it is, we don't really get a sense of his prowess in the use of the Force. We see his saber skills but not until his ill fated battle with Dooku.

12. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    On the contrary. For such a show that is dedicated to destroying all things beholden to popular culture, it is fitting that they target Lucas and his efforts to tinker with something that they and most people

How do you know?

believe is fine the way it is.

The joke is on Lucas for drawing up the wrath of Cartman and company.

More spin from Philip. The joke is on Cartman & Co. for making such a big deal about it.

Well true, I doubt he gives one damn about who they are or what South park is. But it would surprise me tremendously if he hadn't heard about it.

If he has, he probably rolled his eyes at how they are getting so worked up over something so minor.

By the way, I agree that the editing in AOTC wasn't good, and that the romance suffered for it.

I couldn't care less about the CGI. I often can't tell what is CG and what isn't in the PT anyway.

13. -_-_-_-_-_-

Apr 28, 2002
    As it is, we don't really get a sense of his prowess in the use of the Force. We see his saber skills but not until his ill fated battle with Dooku.

I felt the duel between Dooku and Anakin was too short and could have been used as a more powerful tool to demonstrate how powerful Anakin was and could possibly be. It did well, but I don't think the scene was utilized to its full potential. Another minute would have done the trick.

14. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    Lucas has a Sense of Humor... He Has Seen the Episode of south park, surely his kids or some flunky has shown it to him, he Does live in AMerica You know... and I'm pretty sure Skywalker Ranch Gets Cable... It doesn't bother him (except when he lies in bed at night crushed by self doubt). He's a big boy... He's Been Made Fun of before And So has Star Wars for the last 27 years.

15. Ninja_Gayden

Ninja_Gayden Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 21, 2004
    Socks of banned users are not allowed to post.

16. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    Lucas has a Sense of Humor... He Has Seen the Episode of south park, surely his kids or some flunky has shown it to him, he Does live in AMerica You know... and I'm pretty sure Skywalker Ranch Gets Cable... It doesn't bother him (except when he lies in bed at night crushed by self doubt). He's a big boy... He's Been Made Fun of before And So has Star Wars for the last 27 years.

Well said, LottDodd.

17. Devilanse

Devilanse Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    I'm saying this out of genuine curiosity, not to be a *****--but I have always wondered why the bashers don't spend more time over there, since that's the series you really like.

I wonder the same sometimes. Usually when people despise something, they try their best to distance themself from it rather than frequent the place where it's the topic of discussion.

For the 10th time. The topic of the discussion is Why do people hate AOTC? Its a very simple question. As someone who does dislike AOTC...I and those with simliar opinions are in the right place, here.

The real question is...if you did like AOTC...why are you posting in a thread about NOT LIKING 'Clones? Why don't you post in a thread with fellow fans who liked the movie?

As to your question A_G, I post here because I am still a SW fan, even though I didn't like AOTC. Just because I didn't like the movie, doesn't mean I don't like to discuss the saga, in which AOTC is a part of.

Good answer, SLR! Couldn't have said it better, myself.

18. Philip023

Aug 30, 2002
    Admin's if you'll permit a few sentences about South park I would be grateful and then back to topic.

Shelley:

Generally speaking, whatever shows up on South Park is influenced by current events, popular culture (i.e. movies, celebrities, trends, and fads). that is the reason for its popularity.

Say what one will about South Park, it is watched by millions of people who agree with the shows lack of tact or don't.

To be fair, South Park's episode making fun of Lucas was purely innocent but rooted in the belief by many fans that he should leave well enough alone. And as for your comment:

More spin from Philip. The joke is on Cartman & Co. for making such a big deal about it.

lol Hmm, well if the joke is on the boys from South Park and, I suppose, me (because I liked the episode), then isn't it amazing how a "basher" idea - to leave the OT alone and that the PT isn't that good - could be so abstract as to be the subject of two highly rated television comedies and be uproarious to boot.

As far as editing is concerned, I would have had no problem sitting in a 3 hour film if it conveyed or at least had most of the edited scenes put back into the film.

Ah, oh well. Hey, what would Brian Boitano do? lol

19. -_-_-_-_-_-

Apr 28, 2002
    The real question is...if you did like AOTC...why are you posting in a thread about NOT LIKING 'Clones? Why don't you post in a thread with fellow fans who liked the movie?

I like the movie but does that mean I like every aspect of it or that I am not allowed to cite reasons why I think people did not like it? No.

20. JenX

JenX Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 26, 2002
    -_-_-_-_-_-

I doubt George Lucas even knows who Trey Parker and Matt Stone are, much less cares if they parody him on their little television show.

and

Shelley

If he [GL] has [heard about the South Park paody episode] , he probably rolled his eyes at how they are getting so worked up over something so minor.

Well, it seems that you are both wrong. According to this guy, GL thought it was amazing and was so taken by it that he sent a copy to his friend.

Isn't it great to see how the creator of SW, the guy who was actually being parodied, can handle the episode better then some of the SW fans?

21. SLR

SLR Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 20, 2002
    Thats a really great article. Its good to see that Lucas and Spielberg have a good sense of humor about things. I guess it is a shame that even though Lucas liked the episode that he still won't release the original OT on DVD.

22. -_-_-_-_-_-

Apr 28, 2002
    Well, it seems that you are both wrong. According to this guy, GL thought it was amazing and was so taken by it that he sent a copy to his friend.

Isn't it great to see how the creator of SW, the guy who was actually being parodied, can handle the episode better then some of the SW fans?

I'm wrong? That's interesting considering nowhere in that interview does Spielberg aknowledge Matt Stone or Trey Parker as individuals, nor does he insinuate that George Lucas did either. I don't recall saying anywhere that Lucas didn't watch the show, but him laughing the parody off and then sending it to his good friend Steven Spielberg just proves his lack of caring for it or for the level of seriousness which he takes it. Finally, it's not that I can't handle people paroding Star Wars, it's just that I have enough to sense to know when something is played out and overdone.

23. JenX

JenX Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 26, 2002
    -_-_-_-_-_-

I'm wrong? That's interesting considering nowhere in that interview does Spielberg aknowledge Matt Stone or Trey Parker as individuals, nor does he insinuate that George Lucas did either.

?[face_plain]

Err, firstly, Spielberg WROTE THEM A LETTER. I hardly think he addressed it "Dear dudes who made that cartoon with me in it"

Secondly, you said, and I'm going to bold this

"I doubt George Lucas even knows who Trey Parker and Matt Stone are, much less cares if they parody him on their little television show."

...so are you claiming that you aren't wrong, even though GL actuallY SAW AND MADE A COPY of the "their little television show", and then talked about it with his friend???

What, did he do it all in his sleep or something?

24. JohnWilliams00

JohnWilliams00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    Finally, it's not that I can't handle people paroding Star Wars, it's just that I have enough to sense to know when something is played out and overdone.

In your opinion it was played out and overdone. Many still get a kick out of those parodies such as the one on South Park and The Simpsons. Even though you may not share that opinion doesn't mean the parody was worthless and for no one.

The episode of "Free Hat" was one of their most popular episodes, and it was mentioned everywhere from CNN to Jay Leno. Apparently there are many people out there who agree with some of this lampooning. How else did Spielberg decide to include both the original and revised version of ET on DVD without the fan input?

Also, I should add, these parodies don't mean that everyone hated or disliked the prequels (I could just see that response around the corner).

25. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001

Yeah, actually, it is.

Thanks, JenX.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.