main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why do People hate AOTC?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by BigMackDaddy, Mar 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SLR

SLR Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 20, 2002
    Too bad that Spielberg's good friend George didn't come to that conclusion as well.

2. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    In your opinion it was played out and overdone. Many still get a kick out of those parodies such as the one on South Park and The Simpsons. Even though you may not share that opinion doesn't mean the parody was worthless and for no one.

I don't recall ever stating that the parody was worthless and that no one liked it. True, it is my opinion, but I think using the same mentality and joke that has been basically going on for five years is....well.....

[image=http://www.introwebnet.com/forums/images/smiles/deadhorse.gif]

...so are you claiming that you aren't wrong, even though GL actuallY SAW AND MADE A COPY of the "their little television show", and then talked about it with his friend???

What, did he do it all in his sleep or something?

How can I be wrong? This is only my opinion, remember? Lucas sending a copy of the tape to Spielberg so that he could have a good laugh from it just showed the lack of seriousness for which he took the show and how little he cared of their opinions. Spielberg even goes as far to say in that interview to mock them by saying they were considering changing the Indy films because of their parody.

Err, firstly, Spielberg WROTE THEM A LETTER. I hardly think he addressed it "Dear dudes who made that cartoon with me in it"

You obviously didn't read my post very well, because I said Spielberg didn't aknowledge them as individuals in the interview nor did he mention their name, which he didn't.

I think I've said my peace on the matter and for the sake of being on topic, this will be my last post concerning this specific topic. We should all aim to discuss AOTC, since it is the subject of the forum and thread.

3. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    By the way, I agree that the editing in AOTC wasn't good, and that the romance suffered for it.

Shelley I'm sorry but I disagree with you about the love story suffering from what was cut out. What was cut out were two scene well good really did not do much.

Oh I hear the it add to Padme's back story. But we already have Padme's back story. Her back story is in TPM. The family scene sure it was nice. But it was not needed. It adds nothing to the story. Same with Padme's room. Sure may the could have made the scene where Anakin and Padme talking about her no longer being Queen. But a lot of those scenes that they took out...well I'm glad they did. The trial added nothing. The scene where Obi-wan ask's the droiads(sp) abnout the darts. Well that was not need ether. He goes from not knowing anything to still no knowing anything.

4. Ko-jah

Ko-jah Jedi Youngling star 1

May 16, 2002
    the family scene adds more than most.

1. it has good acting
    2. up until where this scene would have been inserted there is no real indication that padme has any real feelings for anakin. Padme and her sister talking about anakin towards the end of that scene furthered her development. the last part of the scene padme looked at the window longingly at anakin and i felt that at that point padme had crossed over from remembering anakin as a boy on tatooine and finding herself attracted to him.
    3. i guess this scene would have been inserted right after the meeting with the queen where there is tension between padme and anakin ('excuse me m'lady...i am in charge of security') and is continued at the first part of the family scene when they are sitting at the table ('is she really in that mauch danger?') Despite this tension, by the end of the scene padme sees anakin as more than a friend - which could of been influenced by the fact that he had a voice of his own and wasnt going to agree with her all the time??
    4. the dialogue was ok and flowed naturally which i cant say happened for many other padme/ani scenes

i agree with you about the padme room scene though it was nothing much.

5. Philip023

Philip023 Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 30, 2002
    Editing is a major component of any movie. To cover as much ground as Lucas is trying to cover over the course of 3 films requires an excellent job of editing the movie to convey characters, moods, arcs, story development and proper flow.

I think the worst component of AOTC is the editing. There are scenes that advance the plot that were left out and there were scenes left in that didn't.

In any event, the change in the Editor's chair conveys to this poster that Lucas felt a change was needed also.

6. ObiwanJohn

ObiwanJohn Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 12, 2003
    Why do People hate AOTC?

Easy. No Taun Tauns. Will somebody please think of the Taun Tauns!!!

Acutally I agree w/the posters who pointed out the editing flaws. It does seem choppy at points. I do think the whole romance thing would've been helped by the deleted Naberrie family scenes but I don't recall the SW creative team asking for my input when the movie was made.

7. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    The editing had a great deal to be desired, but Episode Two suffers from the restrictions in place to set up Episode III.

However, the edited version of EpII for IMAX played much better than the original theatrical release as the pace of the film was vastly improved.

As for the Simpsons and South Park spoofs??? come on, have a sense of humor.

In regards as to why bash here on a daily basis? It is the season of discontent and this is the forum most people have choosen to express their discontent.

8. Devilanse

Devilanse Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    Easy. No Taun Tauns. Will somebody please think of the Taun Tauns!!!

Yes...now that you mention it, Obi-John...I do feel that the Taun-Tauns could have helped this movie. Lets hope that Obi-Wan and Anakin begin their duel battling each other atop Taun-Tauns.

9. JenX

JenX Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 26, 2002
    How can I be wrong? This is only my opinion, remember?

So what? I'm talking about your opinion on what GL knows. So, yes, if you think GL doesn't know about something, and then it turns out he does, of course you can be wrong.

Lucas sending a copy of the tape to Spielberg so that he could have a good laugh from it just showed the lack of seriousness for which he took the show and how little he cared of their opinions.

Not only are you failing to read my posts properly, you also seem incapable of reading your own. Let me quote you again:

"I doubt George Lucas even knows who Trey Parker and Matt Stone are, much less cares if they parody him on their little television show."

You doubted it, and have been shown to be wrong.

I think I've said my peace on the matter and for the sake of being on topic, this will be my last post concerning this specific topic.

Agreed.

A number of people have mentioned that the editting was bad in AOTC...I'm a bit puzzled by this. How does the process of editting a film work? I mean, why isn't the director also the editor? Isn't deciding what parts go in and what parts don't incredibly important? It seems weird that a director would do all that work filming something, and then hand it over to someone else to put it together, yet it seems to be common practice in the film making business.

I feel like I'm missing something here...

10. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    JenX --

It is highly uncommon practice for a director to edit their own movie, at least out in the realm of big-budget "real" movies. Exceptions apply (Kevin Smith and Robert Rodriguez, as I recall), but the director usually isn't the editor (or at least not a sole one).

Why?

First, because the director has more things to supervise in the post-production process than just the edit. He also has to weigh in on sound, music and effects.

Second -- not all directors are skilled editors. People come to directing from all different backgrounds -- writing, producing, cinematography...

While Lucas happens to come from more of an editing background than some others, it is not his job to cut the whole movie itself.

The director's job in this process to confirm that that's what he likes, or, if not, to make criticisms.

Editing isn't just deciding "what goes in and what goes out". You could do that easily from the notes made on-set about which takes are better.

Editing isn't just being able to use the technology to put the shots in the order of the script. A trained monkey could do that.

Editing is about creating rhythm, making the film flow, making the cuts seem seamless, finding an editing style that fits each scene and fits the project as a whole. Pacing should be varied so as to not lock the viewer into a boring routine. Transitions between shots or scenes shouldn't be jarring.

This is an art all its own.

With all this said -- George is always quite vocal in the editing process, as it's one he enjoys and his talent for editing has been recognized ever since film school.

In many ways, it's all a matter of how people prefer to work.

Back in the old days, a director might finish the shoot and then practically never see the footage again until the movie premiered, because the editing department was doing their own thing and he was assigned to work on some other project!

Rick McCallum loves you!

11. SLR

SLR Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 20, 2002
    In the Simpsons spoof, Randall Curtis rides off to the video store on a Taun Taun, could this be a coincidence?

12. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    re Taun Tauns... and i thought they smelled bad on the outside.

13. DarthBane93

DarthBane93 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 11, 1999
    Two beefs for me regarding AOTC.

1. The editing is subpar.

2. Lack of a main, dominating villian. Palpy was nowhere to be found. Jango I hardly qualify as a villain...no real strength. And Dooku shows up too late in the movie for me to care.

But I love the Simpson's spoofs of SW. Brilliant! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.