main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why do people hate Kyp and Corran so much?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JediKnight1221, Mar 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediKnight1221

JediKnight1221 Jedi Youngling

Feb 27, 2002
    Ok I am not getting this. Of all the characters in EU, Kyp and Corran seem to be the most disliked. What I do not understand is why? Kyp provides a perfect foil for Luke in NJO. He takes action and does not apologize for who he is. I know Kyp anhiliated a few planets when he was on the darkside, but how many Imps did Luke kill when he destroyed the Death Star? And Luke was on the lightside when he did that. Also Kyp was being manipulated by Kun. He is arrogant, and so is Han.
    Corran is the perfect example of the everyman Jedi. All he wanted was to save his wife. If you read I Jedi, Corran was not that pivotal character to the JAT. He was the background guy. Of course in that book he is going to seem like a bigger role, becuase the book was about him and seen through his eyes. Well I really would like to hear more so people please write back.

2. Lord_Riven

Lord_Riven Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    In short, People hate Kyp becasue he is annoying Luke and a constant pest, people hate Corran because MAS makes him put to bee too good

3. MOTs_Minx

MOTs_Minx Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 26, 2000
    :eek:

People hate (MY) Corran???

Noooooooooooo - say it isnt so!!!!!!!!

4. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    I like Kyp, but COrran is made out too good

5. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    I became a Star Wars reader after reading "Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter". Following that, I started the NJO with the DT duology--and Kyp Durron was the character that caught my eye.
    I was instantly intrigued by him--though, at first, I despised him. Let's face it, the majority of people who know about SW (I mean the people who only know of it and aren't hardcore fans) like Luke Skywalker. Luke's the public's hero because of the OT.
    Seeing some punk Jedi disobey him and give him a hard time tends to affect people's opinion about Kyp (the "punk Jedi").

However, as the NJO continued to unfold, I grew more and more intrigued by Kyp Durron. He revealed himself to be more than a "punk". Luke in one of the books (I forgot which) even theorized that Kyp does what he does to make amends for his past crimes.

In my opinion, Kyp Durron is one of the best EU characters. Granted, he was created by KJA (and I dislike that author's terrible writing style and plots), but the character itself is very intriguing and intense.

I shall leave you all with this to think on: Kyp ROCKS! ;)

6. Jedi_Jaina_Durron

Jedi_Jaina_Durron Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2001
    True dat. And I hate Corran because he hates Kyp. And you can tell. He's okay before he became a Jedi, but after.... [face_devil] I think MAS thinks he is Corran, and he hates Kyp, so Corran has to too.

7. Corran

Corran Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 4, 2000
    I love both caracters But i think the NJO has made them both to something they wasnt supposed to be But i still like em both

8. ImperialGirl

ImperialGirl Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 10, 2001
    The only book where I haven't hated Kyp was Dark Journey. He was a contrived, irritating kid in JAT who was basically there to show up Luke. He killed billions of innocent people (you know, Carida wasn't just stormtroopers) while on a rampage and gets off more or less scot-free. (We never see Luke "killing billions" outside a miliatry situation.) Kyp never shows any particular guilt about having done this. He's only sorry his brother died in the process. He makes no amends other than destroying the Sun Crusher. Though most of NJO he's an arrogant SOB who's too good for any kind of rules or compromise, until he gets his squadron wiped out. (Luke, on the other hand, is an ineffective whiner in NJO, so they're more or less even there.)

Corran--I liked Corran in X-Wing and in I, Jedi. Though I do quesiton the necessity of making him a Jedi. In NJO, he comes across as a bit more of a too-perfect character, but then again pretty much all the characterizations in NJO order seem off, see above on Luke and Kyp. He wasn't so bad in Keyes's books, ironically.

9. jaeger

jaeger Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 10, 2001
    I don't hate Kyp, I just think hes wrong about his theorys on the force and being a Jedi Master should know that, for a Jedi, the ends can justify the means. Its like he hasn't learned a thing.

Corran is ok when another author who doesn't have a hardon for him writes him, however 9 out of 10 tims its Stackpole writing the Corran character he always comes off as a super man who makes every other character in the story seem like a bunch of idiots who just couldn't figure out or do anything unless Corran was there.

10. loser_fett

loser_fett Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 5, 2001
    I agree. I think he was great character in Rebirth and Star by Star. Rebirth especially.
    Corran to Anakin: I was flying when you were still an argument brewing between Han and Leia.
    Great stuff.
    I didn't really mind Corran in X-wing and I, Jedi but by the time Dark Tide came along I think I just had enough of him and the way Stackpole writes him.

11. Tiershon_Fett

Tiershon_Fett Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    Kyp seems to be one of those people that, while his intentions are genuine, he comes across like a jerk. It's like just when you think he's bad too bad, then he does something that makes you say, "Oh, jeez!"
    He seems to be trying to make amends, somehow.

Corran doesn't make much of an impact on me. He is a bit irritating, and I got mad when he harped on Anakin like he did, because he's named after his grandfather? What the heck was that? (Rebirth)
    And I don't think he's really Jedi material. He can't even use telekinesis.
    Well, he's on par with all the NJO, few of whom are qualified to truly call themselves Jedi, let alone Master.

12. NarundiJedi

NarundiJedi Jedi Master star 6

Oct 8, 2001
    Ohmigod! I actually agree with Jaeger on my opinion of Corran! :eek: Amazing!

And yes, I can stomach him when someone other than Stackpole writes him.

And I have no problem with Kyp, as most of you already know! ;) I think the guy is fascinating and it's great to see someone who isn't always doing the right thing and who isn't following Luke or the rules that a jedi should follow. It just makes him even more interesting. A character doesn't have to be the epitome of morality in order to be freaking cool! :D

Jae Angel

13. DarthBobbalot

DarthBobbalot Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2002
    Dammit!!
    Im new to the whole series and now i find out that Corran is a jedi???
    Im only on Wedge's gamble and now i know that hes a jedi. Thats why hes the best in the squadron.
    and qwert, theres some dramatic irony for you...
    I dont mind corran. Yet. Im gonna skip ahead and read Wraith squadron before i read CoPL becuase theres too many Rogue Squadron books.

And i have no idea who the other guy is.
    but im sure hes a culo

14. DashASolo

DashASolo Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 28, 2002
    Kyp is annoying b/c so much of what he does is not very productive and condusive to the jedi acting as one, i liked him alittle better in DJ b/c he was the jedi having to control another jedi.

Corran is the only jedi i beleive who really appreciates his powers(the little he has) and always strives to be abetter jedi in spite of his lesser power.

i would take corran in a fight over kyp b/c he is a just as good a man without the force than with it and i don't mean fighting ability

15. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    I love Kyp because he is a three dimensional, flawed character, who is more human and relatable than most other characters. On the other hand, I was never crazy about Corran cuz he was almost always portrayed as uber.

16. DarthBobbalot

Mar 5, 2002
    uber? by uber, do you mean UzBEkistaneR? (sp)
    you know, i dont think that this thread will stand for that type of racism...;)

17. DarthBobbalot

Mar 5, 2002
    hmph...
    the graphic didnt work...

18. jaeger

Dec 10, 2001
    If I had to go into a fight I'd take Corran too (as long as Stackpole was writing). I mean when the guy has almost no experience using a lightsaber he could beat, a guy who was taught by yoda and Obi-wan, fought Vader twice (and won once) and had what 7, 8 years experience fighting with the saber, but its one of Corrans first lightsaber fights EVER and he beats Luke. Wouldn't you want him with you?

Maybe we'll get lucky and Corran will die in NJO so stackpole won't be able to write about him anymore.

19. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    If you werent being funny, Uber is German for super.

20. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    Yes, to ReaperFett you listen.

21. DashASolo

Feb 28, 2002
    i just think that corran is the rudy( the football guy from notre dame) of the EU jedi the guy with the least potential who works harder than those with more potential to be better and yes maybe stackpole does deify him a little(yeah right) but don't we all deify are favorite character just a teeny bit also. corran is also a better leader than kyp. look at the casualty rate of their respective units. to me that denotes a greater feeling of respect for the lives of those around him, even when he was with the Invids he took care of those under his command though they were by definition bad guys

22. jaeger

Dec 10, 2001
    "i just think that corran is the rudy( the football guy from notre dame) of the EU jedi the guy with the least potential who works harder than those with more potential" - WOOO. How can you say Corran had little potential? Read the X-Wing books. Corrans the only one in those books (including Wedge) who shows ANY kind of potential as a fighter pilot, with a love life and as a Jedi. Sure he can't move things with his mind, but he can absorb blaster bolts, and I can tell you I'd rather have that power then the power to move **** around the room. Its just another example of Stackpole having to make Corran SOOOO special and SOOO great.

"yes maybe stackpole does deify him a little(yeah right) but don't we all deify are favorite character just a teeny bit also" - MAYBE? And as I said before I can live with Stackpole doing it to Corran in I,Jedi (except for Corran making Luke like a no-nothing farm boy who hasn't learned anything since he left Tatooine) because that books is Corrans. But the X-Wing series should not have focused on one character at the expense of the other characters. Arron's X-Wing books at leaps and bounds better then Stackpoles.

23. DashASolo

Feb 28, 2002
    jaeger, calm down, i didn't mean to imply that corran is actually weaker than other jedi. but his potrayal in the books is that the other jedi especially of kyp's faction think he is weaker than they b/c of his inability to move things. anakin and corran are my two favorite jedi or were.

24. jaeger

Dec 10, 2001
    "i didn't mean to imply that corran is actually weaker than other jedi" - Well then he wouldn't be working harder with less potential.

25. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Quote:"I love Kyp because he is a three dimensional, flawed character, who is more human and relatable than most other characters."

Interesting thought. I completely agree. I think that perhaps so many readers dislike Kyp Durron because they need to look up to characters who can be perfect heroes and role models for them IRL (In real life).

I'm new to these forums, but not to the 'net. Before SW, my interest was sparked by roleplaying Dungeons and Dragons campaign settings online (such as Forgotten Realms rp chats and such). My point for mentioning this is because this very issue of having "realistic" characters constantly arises--and it still does.

From my experience with roleplaying and writing, it seems as though people as a whole want to make characters that are void of flaws--perfect, if you will. One such person created a vampire character who was virtually a god. Of course, to maintain this vampire's godly qualities, the player had to cheat whenever he was in battle (which was often since he was a jerk and his character was less than humble).

My point is that people have a need to create perfection when/if their lives aren't suitable for them.

Why do we read SW? To take our minds off of our realities?
    If we're going to participate in a fantasy, why not envision and honor only characters who are flawless and entirely fantastical?

From what I've seen and heard, readers were tremendously emotionally upset with Anakin Solo's death. Perhaps, what Del Rey is trying to portray, is that **** happens and you just have to deal with it. That's life.

Kyp Durron is possibly one of the most realistic characters I've ever read of in a book (and I've read quite a number of books in my 19 years). He has his flaws, he has his bouts with arrogance, and he has his moments of depression and regret.

He's fully dimensional (though I do believe Del Rey needs to do a lot more developing for him).

How many of us could say that, if we were planted in the NJO crisis, we would act as Luke wants his Jedi to act? How many of us would be able to accept a defense only policy?
    Not many of us, I don't think.

Humans, by nature, act on passion. We respect Luke because of his ability to resist those primal urges. He's calm of mind and comes close to entirely advocating the Taoist philosophies (I say Taoist because the Jedi seem terribly close to a rip-off of Taoism).

Kyp Durron is more like real, every day humans. You insult him, he'll snap back at you. You hit him, he'll hit you harder. He acts on passion and emotion. Of course, acting on emotion, as most of you probably already know, isn't always the best way to solve a problem.
    But by acting this way, Kyp is being a "real" person.

Of course, you can always debate the need for reality in fantasy. If we wanted reality, why would be reading a fantasy, correct?

As for Corran Horn: I like him. I don't have any problems with Corran and honestly didn't know that people disliked him until this morning, when I posted on this thread.

-Valyn

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    "The Jedi will not disarm."
    -Luke Skywalker, Jedi Master
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.