main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why do people hate Return of the Jedi?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by ratmankey, Mar 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Jamus

Darth Jamus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 1, 2000
    That is pretty much what I meant. Harrison isn't the problem, it is the way the character was written as just a deliverer of comedic lines! He simply didn't have anything interesting to work with in this installment. Small complaint though! ;)

2. millennium_pilot

millennium_pilot Jedi Youngling

Apr 7, 2003
    Harrison Ford is reported to have wanted Han killed off before ROTJ. This could be why some people think he appears bored.

3. Darth Jamus

Jun 1, 2000
    Knowing that this was the last film that he was obligated to do, I have to say that it was unprofessional of Harrison Ford to act like that and lessen the movie for his lack of effort!

4. Ardens_Furore

Ardens_Furore Jedi Padawan star 4

May 14, 2001
    Because the film was the first to truly tie into the full arc of the Star Wars story and people don't like it. That's why the prequels are so negatively received, as well. People don't like the films as one big saga.

5. sellars1996

sellars1996 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 19, 2002
    I found this web site that posts many of the things that I thought until recently.

here

This explains pretty well and in depth why some fans hate ROTJ or were turned off of SW by ROTJ.

6. La_Capitan

La_Capitan Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 22, 2003
    I like RETURN OF THE JEDI a lot. Gotta say, great film. If you've never seen it I would suggest checking it out.

P.S. If you haven't seen return of the jedi and you are reading this there may be something wrong with you.

7. Naccha

Naccha Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 1999
    The fact that Luke is my favourite character (and that he gets to kick a ton of butt in this one and has a snappy outfit) helps

Hmmmm....love that snappy outfit. Luke in black rocks! [face_love]

8. TUSCAN-RAIDER

TUSCAN-RAIDER Jedi Youngling

Mar 21, 2003
    i dont think people hate ROTJ. it was great, except the ewoks. yes, the symbolism of david vs. goliath is good, but the ewoks were just too cute to blend cohesively with the end battle scenes of vadar/palps/luke and the space battle. they just didnt go together.

however, i will point out that the ewoks opened the door for GL to the Prequels to focus on kiddie stuff. ie: little anakin;jar-jar in TPM; and the scenes with anakin flirting with padme on naboo (he jumps on that weird rhino monster and tries to ride it). You didnt see kiddie stuff in ANH or ESB. However, since ROTJ, it seems to be about kids. (except the final battle with vadar/luke)

9. JAKEFETT

JAKEFETT Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 10, 2003
    Snappy?

I think I just found my new favorite word.

I get a little bored during some of the ewok parts, but it is mixed in with alot of cool stuff.

10. Darth Jamus

Jun 1, 2000
    I found this web site that posts many of the things that I thought until recently. here This explains pretty well and in depth why some fans hate ROTJ or were turned off of SW by ROTJ.

Hey, that is the magazine article I mentioned in my post from the first page of this thread! [face_laugh] I said it on that page and I will say it again, people did not hate ROTJ like this back in its day. It was only after the internet got popular and these few hate mongers :mad: (that know so much more than Lucas) began flaming their harshly negative opinions everywhere that the new generation of fans that were discovering Star Wars for the first time jumped on the band wagon and NEVER gave the film a chance. All I have to say is "their loss"! I miss the days when when most people were happy with the films without letting the evil internet, which does not accurately reflect the true opinion of the world ;), rule their opinions!

11. ratmankey

ratmankey Jedi Master star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    Some of the points raised in that article have make sense, especially the horrible excuse for a character that Han became. (I always cringe when he says "Hey! It's me!")

But most of the complaints are a load of crap, and if you let anything that small ruin a film for you, it's a miracle you like ANY movies. Especially the one about "inconsistencies" such as Bib Fortuna's expression changing between shots (something I've never even noticed before.) That's like watching ANH, getting to the stormtrooper who changes positions while Captain Antilles is being choked, and deciding "Hey, continuity! This movie officially sucks!"

The fact remains that, for all its flaws, I'd still rather watch ROTJ than 90% of the other Sci-Fi movies out there.

12. Darth Jamus

Jun 1, 2000
    Exactly ratmankey, most of the things on that list are little bloopers that exist in all movies for goodness sakes! Sure, there are some legitimate gripes, but heck, the movie is not the load of crap that many THESE DAYS claim it is! The voice of the hate mongers is loud and never ending, thus lending credence to the idea that ROTJ is horrible when in fact people simply get tired of constantly defending something against such a relentless wave of hate! It happened on TPM boards! There used to be more who loved the film there, but the relentless bashing from those who refuse to acknowledge the fact that people can like a movie without being brainwashed got sick of it all and left! It still makes me angry to this day that so many fans were driven off by the senselessly harsh bashing that went on there! :mad:

13. Chewie18977

Chewie18977 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 3, 2003
    i like return of the jedi

sure it not as good as the other two originals but its still a great film and beats the hell out of the prequels (exept for Natalie Portman. . .sooooooooo hot)

14. SLR

SLR Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 20, 2002
    I agree Darth Jamus. In fact, I didn't even know that there were people that had such a strong distaste for ROTJ until I started coming to these forums.

15. ratmankey

ratmankey Jedi Master star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    Aaaaargh, I hate the edit time limit. I wrote this, then my mom made me go out and work in the yard. By the time I got back, it was too late.

So anyway, here's my rebuttal to some of the article's complaints:

"2. THE TONE IS INCONSISTENT: Lacking any consistent driving force (pun intended), Jedi is impossible to take seriously and has little to none of the mythic, transporting feel of its predecessors. We're always aware we're watching a big-budget movie."

Sure...if you ignore EVERY scene with Luke, Vader, and/or the Emperor.

"3. THE LOOK IS ALL WRONG"

Sorry, I'm just not seeing this. The Empire's always been spick-and-span. If they're referring to the pristine environments of the rebel briefing, it looks just as clean and futuristic as the medical frigate at the end of ESB.

"4. IT'S JUST A BUNCH OF MUPPETS!: Admittedly, Wars had its share of fake-looking aliens in the Mos Eisley cantina scene, but many of them were genuinely innovative at the time (Hammerhead is still impressive) and none of them crossed the not-so-thin line between costume and (shudder) Muppet."

Not seeing this, either. Sure, Max Rebo's kinda goofy looking (which is part of the reason why I love him) but the rest of them are just as interesting as the cantina aliens, if you ask me.

"5. PAINFUL LACK OF INNOVATION: When it comes to scavenging, Lucas could teach even the Jawas a thing or two. Jedi borrows from Wars on levels ranging from conceptual to minute. There's another opening scene with a Star Destroyer (though this time it isn't even permitted to finish its awesome crawl across the top of the screen)."

It's called "form". All the SW films have similar openings, similar structures, and similar endings.

"7. PHYSICAL COMEDY: Worst of all, there are two solid instances where burps are used for cheap laughs. Burps! And where are the fart jokes? Well, maybe in the next film."

Heh, I thought this was interesting...words can't describe how mortified I was when I saw the fart joke in TPM.

"8. UNINTERESTING LOCALES: Jedi just rehashes what we've already seen (though Jedi's Tatooine looks significantly less exotic than it did in Wars, having been filmed in California instead of Tunisia),"

Hmm, this MIGHT have something to do with the fact that the only time we see Tatooine outside of Jabba's Palace is in the Dune Sea. There's nothing but dunes. How are you supposed to make that exotic?

"10. SOLO: In Empire, Threepio states that the carbonite would keep Solo safe, provided he survived the freezing process. Safe, yes, but Threepio said nothing about the side effects. Namely, that people in carbon-freeze gain twenty pounds and take on the demeanor of Ward Cleaver on Quaaludes. Wars and Empire established Solo as a braggart, pirate, and all-around scoundrel. In Jedi, he's just a good-hearted, slack-jawed simp whose comments and actions are almost exclusively played for laughs. In not a single scene does Solo have the same acerbic edge he possessed in the previous films. Harrison Ford does nothing to help the situation (perhaps to his credit), acting with a boredom rarely paralleled as he kills time waiting for another Indiana Jones installment."

I thought this was hilarious...it's one of my only major complaints about ROTJ.

"11. MUSIC: The soundtrack to Wars is an unquestioned classic. Empire's soundtrack gave us the trilogy's best piece of music: "The Imperial March." What does Jedi have to offer? Some playful Peter and the Wolf-esque Ewok tunes and Jabba's foam-and-latex band. The song "Lapti Nek' was translated into English for an MTV video, and we learned that "Lapti Nek" actually means "workin' out." "

"The Emperor's Theme" is great, and filled with a wonderful, subtle sense of evil. Even better is that choir that sings while Luke goes berserk with Vader...sends chills up my spine every time. And what the heck is wrong with "Lapti Nek"? You can't judge the song just because they made a dumb video for it. (Oh, and here's a good example of how the EU can improve things...according to "Tales from Jabba's Pala

16. Chewie18977

Apr 3, 2003
    yeah, what he said

17. Darth Jamus

Jun 1, 2000
    WOW ratmankey, what an awe-inspiring rebuttal to that evil article that has been responsible for so many new fans NEVER giving ROTJ a chance! You are my hero! :cool: I could never have done a better job if I tried! ;)

18. SLR

SLR Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 20, 2002
    Yeah, good post Ratmonkey. I couldn't even finish reading all the 50 reasons that guy had against ROTJ. They were so petty and nitpicky, and IMHO just plain wrong and stupid, that I couldn't even read through 1/3 of the article.

19. Chewie18977

Apr 3, 2003
    whats wrong with all you people who hate jedi

i mean you claim to be fans but then you go and talk about what you claim to be a fan of like it a piece of crap! if you dont like the movie then dont watch it but dont pretend to be a fan way to go to all of those on here who defended jedi way to go
    but all you "fans" should just shut up and go home

20. jimkk29

jimkk29 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 24, 2002
    I don't hate ROTJ!! I LOVE IT!!!!

21. SLR

SLR Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 20, 2002
    Unfortunately, there seems to be a lot of "supposed" fans of SW. But when it comes down to it, all they really like is ESB and they bash everything else in the saga.

22. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    Okay, I object strongly to hating Ewoks being like breathing oxygen to a hard core fan. I don't think anyone would debate my fanhood, but I adore Ewoks. I mean, look at the symbolism! The tiny little creatures with a lot of heart beat the big tough Empire!

Plus, you have to admit, the little furballs are adorable.

<--- Best icon ever

RotJ <--- Best movie in the saga!

23. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    Why do people hate Return of the Jedi?

I dunno, maybe it's the fact that Harrison Ford couldn't give two rats asses about being there. I read an interview where he had asked George Lucas to have him die in the Carbon freeze. All of his lines in RotJ are rubbish. He acts as if he would rather be on Maui that on an SW movie. GL could have had Solo die and have had General Calrissian as the new hero, it would have made more sence to have called him "General" if Han was dead.

Richard Marquand was not a good director either, it would have been a better film had someone else directed it. Say Irvin Kirshner.
    George Lucas said in an interview that he would rather be at home watching TV than producing RotJ.

But the real reason that RotJ "sucks ass" so bad is because of the Ewoks. Teddy-bears with sticks... no, I don't think so.

Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse the "Special Edition RotJ" came out. Oh, the horror, a musical number? Come on "Georgie Boy" wake up. We, the fans want Star Wars not Andrew Lloyd Webber.

The moments that do save this movie are the lines of Palpatine. The guy steals the show, he has all of the best lines and it is so much more of a dark film with him in it.

So, in conclusion...
    Ewoks=Bad
    Palpatine=Good

24. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    Teddy bears with sticks happen to be incredibly powerful. Looks can be deceiving after all. I explained the symbolism two posts above.

What's wrong with a little cuteness, anyway?

*flees back to EUC, where Ewoks are appreciated as they should be*

25. Chewie18977

Apr 3, 2003
    i thought the ewoks were great, i know sounds corny but they were like good conquering over evil even though they appeared so much weaker

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.