main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why do people hate that Fireplace scene so much?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Vodstok, May 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 800-pound-ewok

800-pound-ewok Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 7, 2002
    i had no problem with the acting in this scene. i had no problem with the mood as well. the only problem i had with this scene was the lines...especially the lines coming out of anakin's mouth. it was a bit too much for me. this scene would have been a total knock out if it weren't for those god-awful lines. hayden and natalie did an excellent job with the acting and the delivery, but these lines they had to work with held the potential of this entire scene back.

2. dahveed72

dahveed72 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 11, 2002
    If that was good romantic acting then im an 800 pound ewok!! That said, i blame Lucas for either a lack or misguided directorial input.

sorry ewok but ive seen too many good to great romantic movies/scenes in my time and that aint one of em.

3. Falls_the_Shadow

Falls_the_Shadow Jedi Youngling star 3

May 31, 2002
    PadmeLeiaJaina

I agree with your analysis of the scenes. I don't find the language of the fireplace scene awkward. Maybe because I remember saying or hearing equally gushy lines at that age. Maybe because I was in Society for Creative Anachronism as was the object of my affection? :) Now, if only I had a working lightsaber, then it would be really creative anachronism. ;)

Notice her how her hair changes in scenes with him. From the formal sculpted braids to finally, the morning after the fireplace scene, she has totally "let her hair down." To the point that some members of this forum think that she bedded him. This is incorrect: one must consider the sources for GL.

4. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
    the PROBLEM with the slower moments is that Lucas' deficiencies as a writer and a director of actors becomes painfully clear whenever he has people standing around talking.

Very true.

The slower paced moments arent in and of themselves a bad idea. But since they werent absolutely necessary, Lucas would have been advised to move things along almost continuously.

The rolling around in the grass was unnecessary...unless Lucas wanted to rub it in by showing Natalie Portman on top of someone other than one of us fanboys :_|

Hope I don't get in trouble by the mods for that last comment :p

5. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    Falls_the_Shadow, I thought briefly of mentioning her hair, but figured I didn't need my post to end up 10 pages long. :) But you are right.

6. Darthkarma

Darthkarma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2000

The problem for a lot of people with the fireplace scene is there wasn't enough action, ;), so to speak.

7. lil schmoo

lil schmoo Jedi Youngling

Jul 12, 1999
    i really liked it - Padme's awkwardness was really well portrayed and subtle, Anakin acted just like a teenage boy, it was just painful to watch it happen ... maybe because all of us kinda know how it's gonna end. i didn't think that any of the dialogue was stilted, certainly not in the way that other scenes are marred by stilted dialogue ...

and then there was that incredible outfit Padme was wearing ... droooool ... poor poor Anakin ... what's the poor fellow got to do when faced with that ... after a day of staring at her gorgeous back as well LOL!

8. PMT99

PMT99 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 23, 2000
    Not to mention that he gets to touch her back, kiss her, and have her sit on top of his jewels.

9. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    *sigh*
    I know, I know. It's either love it or Loath it... I'm of the former. I wanted to jump in again because we've digressed a bit to the field and Ai and Padme' have indulged in some "jedi nookie". I swear, some people!! ;)

I say the answer is NO, at that point... mind you, I know that "wrestling matches" are often a "feeling out" kinda thing... one of those "I wanna touch ya but do I dare?"....

Yeah, Been there, done that....
    *giggle*

10. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Let's just hope Episode 2 doesn't turn into one of those classic teen pregnancy stories.

Obi-wan: You're with child? How did that happen?

Padme: Beats me. Anakin and I were just "wrasslin" one day. Next thing I know not one of my 342,386 dresses fits and I'm throwing up into the senate floor garbage chute every morning.

11. Anakin_Skywalker20

Anakin_Skywalker20 Jedi Master star 5

Nov 16, 2000
    I like the fireplace... I thought it was fine. lol... Just watch how Natalie keeps moving herself away from Hayden... I liked that part... as for the part when Padme/Anakin roll around on the grass, I LOVE it. I thought it was cute... I enjoyed that part... lol... Don't tell me you guys havn't done that with a girl. I know I have. hehehe [face_laugh]

Either that, you've never been with a girl.

12. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Let's just hope Episode 3 doesn't turn into one of those classic teen pregnancy stories.

Yikes! Didn't really think about that.

13. Vodstok

Vodstok Jedi Youngling star 2

May 13, 2002
    Anakin, the rolling in the grass part made me groan. that was proof that cheese exists in the star wars universe.

And yes, that is because I am jaded.

14. Undomiel

Undomiel Jedi Padawan star 4

May 17, 2002
    Vod,

Jaded, or just in need of some mud puddle fun? :D

*Mission: Impossible theme kicks in*
    Vodstock, for your next assignment, should you chose to accept it, you must remove your shoes [and socks] and go play in a mud puddle. Skip stones across a pond. Climb a tree. Bake cookies for someone you actually LIKE. [the fun part is baking them if you don't know how. mess everywhere. :D] Go out on your front porch and sing "The Hills are alive with the Sound of Muuuuusiccc!" at the top of your lungs. Then grin maniacally at anyone who dares question your sanity. Play a silly but not nasty practical joke on a friend that you know they will enjoy. Watch a Bugs Bunny cartoon. Play hopscotch. Jump rope. Ride your lil brothers bicycle -- the smaller the better. Go out and buy yourself an article of clothing that you normally wouldn't purchase if your life depended on it, that's so totally inane, your friends will think you've lost your mind and wear it in public. Then grin when people stare at your strangely. Get a tattoo that says "I LOVE MYSELF".

*runs for her life* :D

-Undomiel

15. JohnWilliams00

JohnWilliams00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    Ah, you reminded me of The Sound of Music, another movie where the romance (between Julie Andrews and Christopher Plummer) was more convincing and more heartfelt than Anakin and Zombie, I mean Padme Amidala. [face_laugh]

16. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    When she was running it seemed like 'Sound of Music'.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  17. MrQuiet84

MrQuiet84 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 2, 2002
    i liked that scene because padme's outfit was like a wonder-bra times 50...i mean, did you see how high they were pushed up? when she breathed, there was a lot of movement in the beautiful breasts, it was elegant and fun to watch

18. RamRed

RamRed Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2002
    Someone stated that the dialogue in the OT sounds normal in compare to the dialogue in the PT. This is surprising, considering the amount of stiff dialogue that can also be found in the OT.

19. JohnWilliams00

JohnWilliams00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    i mean, did you see how high they were pushed up? when she breathed, there was a lot of movement in the beautiful breasts, it was elegant and fun to watch

It may be fun to watch, but it's an illusion. ;) She's not as buxom as her costumes make it out out be. *cough* Naboo Hill Outfit *cough* [face_devil] [face_laugh]

20. Undomiel

Undomiel Jedi Padawan star 4

May 17, 2002
    John

Size matters not. :D

You ain't learn'd that yet after hearing Yoda say it for 30+ years? ;)

-Undomiel

21. StarWarsFREAK1587

StarWarsFREAK1587 Jedi Youngling

Jun 4, 2002
    I really enjoyed the Fireplace scene because I really love Natalie Portman

22. StarWarsFREAK1587

StarWarsFREAK1587 Jedi Youngling

Jun 4, 2002
    I like the scene too because I love Natalie Portman very much

23. Amidala14

Amidala14 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2002
    I liked the fireplace scene. It was very romantic. I felt sorry for Anakin because it was all so painfully real to him. I think people don't like it because they think it's really corny, cheesy, and mushy.

amidala14@fanforce.net

24. Amidala14

Amidala14 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2002
    I think the meadow scene was a very good scene. Probably my favorite scene aside from the arena and Yoda fighting ones.

I actually think that meadow scene had romance and humor into that. I cracked up when she turned Anakin over and he was laughing.

25. Mr Bungle

Mr Bungle Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 1999
    When I saw it on the 16th at the midnight show, the entire audience started laughing as soon as the camera cut to the fireplace scene.

Did anyone else experience this?

Myself, I really didn't mind it. It was straight out of a soap, errr...SPACE opera. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.