main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why do people hate that Fireplace scene so much?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Vodstok, May 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Falls_the_Shadow

Falls_the_Shadow Jedi Youngling star 3

May 31, 2002
    THANKS, PadmeLeiaJaina. While listening to the Eva Cassidy version of Sting's "Fields of Gold," I was reminded of the Anakin-Padme scenes, especially the meadow picnic. The Cassidy version brings out the bittersweet and regret in the the slower tempo.

Are there any similar changes in Anakin's costumes? Of course, they would be less obvious because he is usually in the "uniform' of a Jedi. Other than the white poncho he wears when they travel disguised as refugees, I can't think of any changes, not even in the fireplace scene.
    ----------------------
    And now, for something completely different:
    Jabbadabbado said:
    Let's just hope Episode 2 doesn't turn into one of those classic teen pregnancy stories.

Obi-wan: You're with child? How did that happen?

Padme: It was the Attack of the Midichlorians! (Well, it is true, from a certain point of view) :D

2. IamZam

IamZam Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 19, 2002
    Obi-wan: You're with child? How did that happen?

Padme: "Doesn't Yoda teach you guys anything in that temple?"

I know return you to your regularily scheduled topic..

3. jayme_

jayme_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 12, 2002
    Falls_the_Shadow, how could you forget the Meditation shirt?! Lucky Padme...

4. KNIRE_DARK

KNIRE_DARK Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 18, 2002
    I agree with SLAVE2 in the sense that the scene came out of nowhere. They went from dinner to the fireplace. It was quick CUT TO: type of scene change, not a more residual DISSOLVE TO: type of scene change. On top of that, I actually think the scene should have been LONGER. I'm huge on the belief that the love story should have been more developed, and adding more to each of their scenes together would have made their love seem more believable, because not a lot of people understand WHY Padme loves Anakin (and, truth be told, I don't either...I just chalk it up to his arrogance being an appealing quality, coupled with physical attraction, and seeing him breakdown after his mother dies).

5. Ewanfan51

Ewanfan51 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 19, 2002

I wasn't going to post here because this is not a big draw for me in the Star Wars movies. The romance bit I mean.
    However since it was brought up, the groans and snickering during this scene were painful to me as a fan.
    I understood the reason to show that Anakin and Padme fall in love and so on but please do it with a little style.
    It wasn't one particular thing alone that made this scene so painful but a host of them. I was very disappointed in Natalie in this scene, just horrible delivery. Christian tried but there was just nothing to work with. The dialogue was so horrible I cringed at every line. I was just hoping it would end as quickly as possible and it just dragged on and on. The theater gave a collective sigh of relief when it ended.
    I apologise to anyone who liked this scene.

6. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    I think the reason people are uncomfortable with that scene is because it's so intense. Most of the other romantic scenes are very lightweight, but Anakin's over-dramatic dialogue in the fireplace scene seems to come out of nowhere. It was an important scene for the "forbidden love" part of the plot, but I think Lucas should have cut back some of the dialogue and just let Hayden and Natalie communicate more non-verbally. One look is worth a thousand words and all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.