main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Why do people hate the prequels?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by QuiWanKenJin, Aug 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    Anakin didn't dive into the "Dark Side" with no hesitation. He was gradually being drawn toward that path with each movie of the PT.

2. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    I was on one of my favorite websites (Cracked.com) and mentioned in a comment how I liked the entire Star Wars Saga, and I got this disgusting reply:

"The prequels are not Star Wars. They miss the mark in every possible way. People who defend them out of denial, actually enjoy them, or, god forbid, actually PREFER the prequels are the ones who don't get Star Wars. Even if they were also around for the original movies, as much as they THINK they liked Star Wars back then if they weren't totally disappointed and/or disgusted by the prequels and "Special Edition" changes then they didn't actually get Star Wars the first time either. I'm usually not one to tell people that they're not "real fans" or any of that bull****, but when it comes to the Star Wars prequels I feel it's an option. The prequels are totally devoid of what originally made Star Wars so special and enduring, so if you like them you don't actually like Star Wars for the same reasons that people originally did 35 years ago. Therefore you aren't a "real" Star Wars fan, you're a Star Wars prequel fan. That's not the same thing."

UGH!!

Andy Wylde likes this.
  3. Samnz

Samnz Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    [face_rofl][face_laugh] [face_rofl]
    If that's the mindset of people who "get" Star Wars, I rather don't "get" it.
    Someone tell George Lucas he doesn't "get" his own creation!!! [face_nail_biting]

4. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    The people who think like that are the ones who actually don't get Star Wars.

5. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    Padme fell in love with Anakin because Hayden Christensen was super, godlike, Adonis, handsome. It's more obvious in Episode 3. My favorite thing about the prequels was young vader's beautiful face.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    No, I am Your Father.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    :eek::rolleyes: [face_laugh]

Good grief, no. Padme was not shallow, and - and - well. Gracious, no, Hayden is none of those adjectives (IMHO). I'm not saying he's ugly or anything negative, but - man. Hayden is "not all that."

If I were to be so shallow as to rate the male actors on mere externals, I'd rate Ewan much, much higher but even that that great looking man would not merit such extreme adjectives.

8. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    If padme wasnt shallow, why did she marry anakin? And vice versa?

Anyway, Hayden was super handsome. Far more handsome than the so called "good looking" actors people always talk about in magazines. I think people hated the prequels for that reason-they couldnt handle or comprehend the fact that darth vader, an iconic pop culture figure, with the scary breathing and helmet and face, was so beautiful.

At least you don't think he's ugly. That's a start.

Ewan Mcgregor was kinda handsome and rugged with the beard, I can agree on that. He wasn't ugly, he was good looking quite a bit, but nowhere near Vader (before suit of course).

What do you mean he's not "all that", speaking of hayden? I agree with you, except for ROTS. In episode 2, he was ok looking. In his other movies, hayden was average, ok looking. In Episode 3, he had the most pretty face of all time. He's the reason I like the prequels so much-his looks and voice.

He was an Adonis.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  9. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    We disagree on Hayden's attractiveness - and I don't wish to get into a debate on something so subjective or shallow as physical attractiveness. Hayden is not an Adonis. IMHO.

As far as Padme, you've heard plenty of others on this and seem to discount their thoughts. Padme, once she got beyond the memory of him as a boy and spent time with him, grew to realize here was someone who saw HER - not the Queen. Believe me, most folks like to be appreciated for who they are, not what they are.

Besides, who are any of us to tell anyone - real life or fictional characters - who they should love and why? Accept it, that no matter what you think of how the romance was HANDLED in the movies, that Padme fell in love with Anakin.

Final thought: why in the Sith hells do you think Padme had to have been "shallow" to marry, in your words, an "Adonis"? You think she was blinded by his white teeth? She was incapable of looking beyond his "super handsomeness"?

Those kind of thoughts are what is shallow.

Andy Wylde and Samnz like this.
  10. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Well, I think Hayden was super handsome only in Episode 3. Not in Episode 2 or in any other movie he was in. Well, here's a question.

If Padme never met Anakin on Tattoine, would they have still fallen in love and got married?

She only knew him for a few days, at the very most, there. If anything, anakin was the shallow one. He was like 6 yrs old or something, he met some girl, and asked her if she was an angel. He probably thought padme was really cute, and if he married her because of his childhood obsession/crush with how cute she was, that would be very shallow. What do you mean that Padme married him because he was someone who saw her as herself, not the queen, who they are? What do you mean by that? That sounds not shallow, but it's a bit thin.

I think Padme was shallow enough to marry Anakin (aka Adonis), , because I'm not sure sure why she fell in love with him. Also, in the Love Featurette for Episode 2, on youtube, Natalie said that she was attracted to anakin mainly for his looks.

What white teeth? What do you mean? Well, I won't deny that in Revenge of the Sith, Anakin/Vader was super handsome, the most handsome celebrity/actor ever, but I never said that padme was incapable of looking behind his looks. I just wasnt sure why she fell in love with him or if she never had met him on tattoine, would she have fallen in love with him? Did that contribute to them falling in love-meeting when they were younger? Why did they fall in love? I never said either one of them was shallow, I just dont get why they fell in love.

Also, I think Hayden Christensen is better looking than Ewan Mcgregor. I mean, Ewan isn't ugly, but in Episode 3, he was all bearded and looked very rugged, and he had a very rugged shaped body too. In episode 3, Vader/Anakin skywalker, had long dark hair, intense eyes, no facial hair, and was very thin and agile, and was generally better looking. I don't want to argue though. I'm just responding to what you said earlier on.

11. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    That really is an odd line of thinking, to consider that someone wouldn't like the PT because of Anakin not being ugly is strange to me.

I think the only reason people wouldn't like the PT is due to the stiff and awkward romance scenes, as well as the annoying factor of some of the characters. That is really minor stuff though, at least in my view.

The PT really got better as the saga progressed.

TPM was clunky, parts of it was amazing while other parts less so. Liam Neeson rocked from start to finish, as did Ewan, Ian McDiarmid, Natalie Portman and Ray Parks. Jake Lloyd seemed to struggle, Jar Jar was not a favorite of mine either. All in all however, I enjoyed TPM a lot.

AotC seemed to suffer the curse of being the middle film of a trilogy, but really was not bad all said and done. Two of the biggest criticisms from TPM were gone (Jake Lloyd and Jar Jar). There was action and it was really hyped up well by the Clone Wars cartoon. Adding Grevious and Dooku was a huge bonus, Christopher Lee is good in anything really.

RotS I had no issues with at all. Great space action, great epic clashes that were built up over 3 films. Ewan was at his peak in this film in my opinion, same with Ian McDiarmid. All good.

I think the hardest part of discussing the PT is that everyone wants to clump you in to one of two categories. You must either love it or hate it, you can't be somewhere in the middle. There is also the annoying trend that you either have to love Lucas or hate him. He is either the spawn of all that is unholy who can do no good, or he is a god that can do no wrong.

The truth lies somewhere in the middle of those extremes. I really like the PT, but acknowledge that they may have benefited from some better script work and a better director for the actors. Overall vision for the story and visual effects, nobody can touch Lucas.

People need to stop taking it so seriously. It is entertainment, enjoy it for what it is and move on. As an older fan who waited for 16 long years to see more Star Wars on the big screen I can say that any new Star Wars is better than no new Star Wars.

That is why I am excited about the Disney deal, I know that in 2-3 years I will be standing in line waiting to see another new film. I don't care how it turns out, cause I will watch the entire series and enjoy it no matter what.

12. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    How were the romance scenes awkard? Also, I meant people are so used to seeing Anakin as darth vader with the samurai helmet and robot voice and breathing they are biased against seeing him as a handsome, long haired, young man.

Also, I agree. ROTS was awesome. Prequel bashers, stop being nitpickers. Anakin's physical transformation from

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Made up for all the Jake Lloyd, Jar Jar, phantom menace strange storyline, "awkard romance", bad dialogue, and plot holes.

13. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    How were the romance scenes not awkward. In fact any scene with emotion or nuance. It just isn't Lucas' strong point, directing isn't something he excels at.

But yeah, just don't get why people would be biased against Vader out of the suit. Yes Vader of the OT was a classic and epic visual image, but as someone who grew up on the OT I was excited to find out what he was like prior to the mask and what drove him to make the decisions that made him a Sith. Never was a huge fan of Hayden Christensen, would have preferred James Franco in that role maybe (far better emotional actor), but I can live with it.

14. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    James franco? I disagree! Hayden looked and acted the part.

[​IMG]Vader force cho[​IMG]kes Luke and [​IMG] mom. The S[​IMG]W films, as I noticed, all contain the same motifs, all done over again in different ways. He really looks like Vader. We lucked out. No one could play Vader but Hayden. Not the guy below

15. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
  16. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    I agree now. I hated the fireplace scene. I also hated "I truly deeply love you". As cringe worthy as cringe worthiness gets. An abomination.

17. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    All the Star Wars love sequences were extremely awkward. Han & Leia's were just as much (if not more) than Anakin's & Padme's.

Andy Wylde and obi-rob-kenobi4 like this.
  18. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Not really. The fireplace scene was an abomination. Han and leia's were awkward and creepy like anakin and padme's, but not cheesy and lame like the fireplace scene, and "i truly deeply love u"....

19. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Padme only knew him for a few days. He was super handsome too...

20. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    Anakin & Padme were cheesy & lame
    Han & Leia were creepy & rapey.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  21. sinkie

sinkie Jedi Padawan star 1

May 27, 2004
    Anakin & Padme forced & cheesy
    Han & Leia cliche & (sadly?) human

I don't get the rapey thing at all really. I actually thought I did but when I pushed it, thought about what actually happens, the exchange of glances, both of them being the types to keep their guards up, the dance they do around their feelings, Han pushing her "princess/responsible leader" buttons to rile her up, see if he can get her to stumble and let her guard down. I mean it's not like she says no. And I meant that honestly. She is afraid of how she feels but she lets slip plenty of hints. If he'd made a move and she'd knee-ed him between the legs, I'm pretty sure he would have realized he'd gravely misunderstood her. The fact that he could catch her looking at him, have her chase him down in a hallway to ask him not to go with half-hearted excuses about needing him for the rebellion and getting quite breathless and dreamy-eyed when he does start to make moves. Again, it is far from a politically correct mutual agreement to rationally fall in love but you have to keep in mind their personalities, very strong individuals yet afraid to appear weak or wrong. Han obviously is the one who feels he wants her bad enough he's willing to push and see if she cracks since he's got the signs right and since he feels he has gotten signs acting the way he does, he's just going to go with that. In fact, before the ESB/Falcon kiss, he actually softens up, isn't forceful and gets her to admit he's an ok guy when he isn't acting like a scoundrel and her delivery and demeanor in that exchange gives him a much clearer sign. She could, in that moment of candor, said, you're a fine person but I have no interest in romance, get that through your head! In ANH he is more of a scoundrel, he's been living in dens of iniquity and hanging out with probably actual thieves, murderers and rapists! Jabba is even into snuff when it comes right down to it! I'd say he's pretty tame and subtle compared to where he comes from.

22. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    How were anakin and padme forced and cheesy? There were reasons they fell in love, other than for continuity purposes to create Luke and Leia, and other than because anakin skywalker was an Adonis and padme was more beatiful than Athena.... Not just looks......

23. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Not to come off as a jerk or anything, but could you please elaborate? I'm having a tough time identifying any of those reasons...

Hitchhiking-Ghost likes this.
  24. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    .What do you mean? What do u want me to elaborate upon? I don't understand why Anakin fell in love with Padme. If they never met on Tattoine for a few days, would they have fallen in love and gotten married? Anakin had a childhood crush on Padme, he thought she was really cute, so that's why they married? Sounds kinda lame.

Anakin is an Adonis, and Padme is more beautiful than Athena; I mean they're both extremely very physically attractive and handsome and pretty..... Here is a Picture of the Two of Them Together, look how good looking they are!

[​IMG]

25. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    Are you seriously asking us to explain LOVE?!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.