main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why do people put down Star Wars?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by JediMasterGaladriel, Nov 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bjork

Bjork Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 21, 2002
    I'm not even going to comment on the teenager remark: I'm 13 but I am definantly not a Star Wars fan just because so and so is good looking...each to his own I suppose. And I'll leave it to that. :)

Some advice on how to deal with Bashers, make jokes. It will get them to leave you alone and it randomly ticks them off. Last Friday I was standing in line at the box-office to claim my tickets for IMAX and I had dressed up as Princess Leia to show support for my local Fan Force. Anyway, this women whose about in her late 20's askes why I'm dressed up. "It's opening day for Star Wars at IMAX" I reply. She kind of snorts, rolls her eyes and goes back to her friends...not a very polite or nice gesture. So I smile and yell: "May the Force be with You!" Seemed to annoy her a fair ammount. :)

Try to refrane from killing the Bashers and enjoy your fandom...I get a real kick out of walking around in the theater having people yell: "Look! It's Princess Leia!" :D

-Bjork.

2. sidiousmd

sidiousmd Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 27, 2002
    i´m sorry i didn´t mean all teenagers, but most of them.

I propose we murder the SW bashers

3. darthspino

darthspino Tucson FF Founding Member star 4

Aug 18, 2001
    "Star Wars is a chick magnet at my school. All the chicks dig it"
    I will second that :p b_b_n and I go to the same school.Only one chick said Star Wars is retarded, and that would be big_boss_nass's girlfriend [face_plain] He let her say it too.

4. MikeSolo

MikeSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2002
    People that put down SW usually know nothing about it or they're just really bleeping stupid, which is the case most of the time. People at my college and work always see me reading a SW book now n then and still asked me "Hey going to check out the new Star Trek movie". Then the same people will tell me how the new Star Wars movie wasn't that great.
    Also people confuse the two movies and since Star Trek is liked by a bunch of nerds, us Star Wars fans get assoicated them.

No offense to any Trek Fans but every Trek fan I've met look and act like those guys from Revenge of the Nerds.

5. Hell_Sith666

Hell_Sith666 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 31, 2002
    Spiderman :)
    LOTR :)
    TPM :(
    AOTC :(

6. jedivalens

jedivalens Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    I really dont give a crap what people say about Star Wars. I like it! That's all that frickin' matters! My friends try to slam Star Wars but I don't even listen to them anymore. I think they're afraid to admit that they like Star Wars.

7. Annbri

Annbri Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 19, 2002
    In my little midwestern town, all the Computer Geeks like Star Wars, and since they are my friends, we get together and exclaim over the latest fnafic we have read/written, what was cool/a little not so smooth about the latest sw something, etc.

Yoda is all but worshipped in my high school. We write sw stuff all over our bags, and we are envied.

8. MadameBastet

MadameBastet Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 9, 2002
    I did have something else here, but I underestimated the popularity of this thread.

I swear I live with two of the most stubborn people when it comes to Star Wars, and ALL new movies and TV shows. My in-laws. Specifically Joe. He thinks that Star Wars is evil with all the aliens going around that would never exist. Of course, he also thinks that the Honey I Shrunk the Kids TV series is evil, and Gargoyles, and about every show I enjoy watching. He is from the age where the movies all have ten minute sing-and-dance scenes that have nothing to do with the storyline. I just wish they could be more open minded about Star Wars. They don't even like it when my husband wears Star Wars ties to church. I ask you, what is so evil about that? It isn't like he wears ties with the DarkSiders on it.

I'm just glad that my husband is as much into SW as I am. I've worked with people who would basically run screaming from the slightest mention of anything Star Wars. I think we just have to let them have their beliefs, and let them know "to each their own" and "one man's garbage is another man's treasure"

9. Padawan915

Padawan915 Jedi Master star 6

Oct 1, 2002
    Hell_Sith666 I appreciate it if you would not remark like that; it's uncalled for. I've read your posts and they all seem to be looking to put down the PT. Try and have fun, don't spend your whole life being negative. :)

I feel that people put down Star Wars, because it's an easy target. Look at the success that Lucas has gotten from SW. He's #81 on the Forbes 400 List with a value of $3 billion. I mean why wouldn't people want to target someone who made it on their own? People do this to all important innovaters. They did the same thing to Rockefeller and the rest of the Industrialists of the late 19th century and early 20th century. Jealousy is what leads the press mainly to put down Star Wars. I also feel that the media spoon feeds the masses too much, and they tell them to not like Star Wars. It's all the media's fault, IMO.

10. GORILLA

GORILLA Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 21, 2002
    This is a new generation with different tastes and attitudes. It is a sad thing to say but Star Wars has finally fallen into that "sci-fi" category along with star trek.

I'm a first generation fan, born in 1974, and things were different when I was younger. I graduated from high school in 1993 and I can honestly say that it was still cool to like Star Wars back then. Timothy Zahn's new novels had just come out and everybody loved them. I wasn't a nerd either. I was an All-State baseball player and all my teammates and I wrote (Try not. Do or do not. There is no try.) on the bills of our caps. We made it to the state finals 3 years in a row.

I believe the tide started to turn for Star Wars in 1997 when the special editions were released. I remember standing in line for all 3 movies in '97 and looking at all the "fans" around me and thinking to myself "these people are going to give Star Wars a bad name."

When I was younger Star Wars was viewed as way superior to any other type of sci-fi/futuristic flick. It was magical, intellingent, and special. Star Wars fans were cool and intelligent and we looked down on trekkies and all other uber nerds. There were no conventions back then, just the Lucasfilm Fan Club. Nobody spoke huttese like it was a real language. And the only time anybody ever dressed up in a Star Wars costume was for Halloween. Now you have people painting their faces, thinking their Darth Maul anytime of year and people standing in line months before a Star Wars movie is even released.

Star Wars fandom was better served when it was low key, more mature, and carried itself with more dignity. This new breed of over zealous fans is seriously hurting Star Wars public persona. People watch these idiots on TV and assume now that only dorks like Star Wars and if your not a dork you better not have anything to do with Star Wars.

I'm 28, I still remember going to each new Star Wars film for the first time in the summers of '77, '80, and '83. I love Star Wars, I always will, and I'm as hardcore a fan as there is. But I've never gone overboard with my passion.

For you younger fans. Go ahead and love, defend, and cherish Star Wars but also show some class and integrity. Alot of people out there don't like the new prequels and think they suck. That's another reason why Star Wars is falling from grace. However, I still have not yet met a person who has a true dislike for the original trilogy. Episodes 4, 5, and 6 are still some of the best movies ever made and and can beat the crap out of anything released today.

11. TheVioletBurns

TheVioletBurns Jedi Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    Why do people put down Star Wars?

a) they don't know a thing about it
    b) they're insecure and would never hail something that might possibly be perceived as unpopular
    c) they're idiots.

Take your pick. :)

12. SithLord127

SithLord127 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 19, 2002
    They don't understand, plain and simple.

13. Darth_Jeb

Darth_Jeb Jedi Youngling star 3

May 14, 2002
    1) Probably because they seem to compare it to alot of other Sci-Fi.
    2) They don't understand it, therefore they can't relate to it.
    3) It's not real.
    4) They think it's weird cos they think you're weird.
    5) Through their eyes all the characters are the same.
    6) They're too embarrassed to admit that they're really fans.

I could go on, but it's not just Star Wars that people put down. The above relate to other Sci-Fi like all the Trek incarnations, Babylon 5, Andromeda, Earth:Final Conflict; etc.

I love Sci-Fi in general and I have my favourites being Star Wars, Star Trek and the Alien series that dominate my list. Yes, it does tick me off when they say Trek and Wars are the same when clearly it is not. But then people are entitled to their own opinions. It's just a natural thing for people who generally hate all things Sci-Fi that they tend to pick on the most well-known titles.

14. DarthZchour

DarthZchour Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 10, 2002
    People put SW down 'cause they suck.

They're into watching their relatives shower.

I'd like to sprinkle fiberglass into their underwear drawers.

Those people take handicapped parking spaces when they have a cramp.

They like to mug the Santa Claus you see collecting money @ Wal-Mart

People who put down SW molest goats.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.