main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why do people tend to bash the dialouge even though the music is part of the dialouge, emotion?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by JediHPDrummer, Jul 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediHPDrummer

JediHPDrummer Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 23, 2002
    I dont know why people dont. People say the dialogue is bad this and that. People forget that music adds dialouge too. The music is there to set the mood, george also likes his movies to be considered silent films. I mean whenever john williams strikes any cord it sets the mood and it speaks the emotion, kind of like a dialouge. The dialouge can be a little bad but some of the OT was also. The music helps a lot. People really think the music is not important. If star wars didnt have the music or john williams that it has now, star wars wouldnt be the same star wars. So i want a discussion why?

2. Darth_Silenous

Darth_Silenous Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 21, 2002
    From what little experience I've had with non-film score fans, most barely even know that there is music. I think the "bashing" you refer to comes from people who can only relate to spoken dialogue - so if there are problems with it, they'll complain, good music aside.

My take. :)

3. TheVioletBurns

TheVioletBurns Jedi Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    Casual moviegoers depend too much on what's spoken to carry the weight of the story, when it's really the opposite way 'round. George has always said Star Wars was more of a visual and musical tale; the dialogue is the least important aspect.

4. Duckman

Duckman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2000
    Let's admit it: the romance in AOTC would be a total washout if not for Williams' bootyful love theme.

5. Darth_Silenous

Darth_Silenous Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 21, 2002
    No kidding.

:)

Thankfully Williams is the composer he is...

6. pianoman02045

pianoman02045 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 7, 2001
    I hafta say that when people talk about Dialouge (in general) they mean the spoken words of the actors. In addition i also agree with what Lucas has said about it being Visual and Musical. However, i also agree with the people who say the dialouge in ATOC was poorly written. The whole love part of the story would have improved alot if A) Some one else wrote it or B) Lucas took a writing class. But Dialouge is not music. Music is music. yes it does add to the scene and i will go as far as saying its another type of dialouge, but people don't mean the music when they talk about the dialouge

7. JediHPDrummer

JediHPDrummer Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 23, 2002
    http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Studio/7728/CUES.HTM
    Great audio interviews on John Williams and his connection to star wars and how important music is to the star wars saga

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.