main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why do people want Palpatine and Yoda, etc. in Star Wars (ANH)?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DarthPoppy, Jun 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthPoppy

DarthPoppy Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    One thing that I really never understand here is why so many fans want George Lucas to go back into the original Star Wars (here called ANH) and add scenes of the Emperor dissolving the Senate, or Yoda communicating with Obi Wan, etc. While I disagree with the udpating of the originals in general, I can understand why some fans would want effects updated so all 6 films match in style; I cannot understand, however, why fans would want added scenes that do nothing to advance the story or enlighten the viewer in anyway. The discussion on the Death Star of the dissolution of the Senate and the passing of power to the Regional Governors has always been one of my favorite scenes in the whole franchise: here we learn everything we need to know in two sentences! It is a brilliant example of very economical storytelling; its vagueness makes it so ominous and evil. Sure Palpatine is a great character, but seeing him here would do nothing to advance the plot and would look like he was just thrown in to create an unnecessay link between the films. Likewise for any use of Yoda; these characters would serve no purpose here; they would merely bog down the plot. Yet I hear so many fans clamoring for it, so I wanted to here what they thought this stuff would add. Unlike the controversial adding of Boba Fett to the Falcon launch bay scene (which I thought was lame and just for "fanboy appeal and added nothing except a wink at the audience) this would require whole new scenes--that is much worse than a little wink in my opinion. Am I missing something?

2. LordVader66

LordVader66 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    I agree. Fett in ANH was added and it effects nothing in the movie. If your going to add a character, it's going to need to look fluid and neccessary. I don't think you need to see Yoda in ANH. It would make little sense. Obiwan and Yoda have been seperated for twenty years. When the time comes that Obiwan feels Luke is ready for Yoda's training, he will contact him. But, for Yoda to appear in ANH, it would do what? Foreshadow his appearance and role in ESB? That being said, I would argue in favor of the Emperor appearing in ANH. It's the Emperor's Empire, and for him not to be mentioned besides dissolving the Senate, is glaring to me. I believe, DarthPoppy, you have read Zombie's Secret History of Star Wars, and that the Emperor was a figurehead in ANH, thus the power resides with Tarkin and the other Moffs, with no real need to show the Emperor. But, with the prequels, I think you need to have a scene with Vader and the Emperor, discussing the Death Star, or Princess Leia as a rebel or most believably the death of Obiwan. So, I would argue for the inclusion of Palpatine, but not at the expense of the quality of ANH.

3. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    I don't necessarily want the OT changed anymore than it already has been, but I could see why some people would want it added in.

Palpataine is a major character in the PT along with a major player in Anakin Skywalker's downfall. It only makes sense to see him in the first SW movie since ROTS [For those watching 1-6 *shudder*]however you could simply assume that he's off doing bigger and better things. Seeing as the movie mainly takes place on the DS for the Imperial side, Darth Vader is there just to check up and assume command of it. The emporer isn't really needed.

Yoda? He's unneeded in ANH altogether. Ben is the first jedi master you are supposed to meet. After teaching Luke what he can and sacrificing himself for the hero's to get away, he sends him on to his next step of training, yoda.

Fett in ANH? I personally liked it, gives you a little chill seeing that helmet for the first time since AOTC [again, for the 1-6 viewers.. *shudders again*] also to just see a mysterious figure and not learn who he is until ESB when he captures Solo.

4. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I don't see the need for Palpatine to be added. Tarkin tells the audiance that The Senate has been disolved, and that scene works so well that theres just no need to make anything else of it. The Emeror may not be in ANH itself, but his presense is still there. Thats enough.

Regarding Yoda on Dagobah, again I ask point would it serve? He wouldn't actually be doing anything or advancing the story in any way, so once again I wouldn't want him added. Infact, I wouldn't want any more changes made to Star Wars or the OT.

5. morpha2

morpha2 Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2005
    This is the first I've heard of people wanting Yoda in ANH. I can't even fathom what he would be doing there.

As for the Emperor, I don't know what the purpose of that would be either other than smacking the audience in the forehead with a 2x4 to remind them that he exists.

In general, I'm vehemently against altering the original trilogy.

6. Darthdias

Darthdias Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 12, 2004
    I'm undecided on this matter.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want Palpatine dissolving the Senate since, as you say, everything we need to know is in the Death Star Conference scene. I also feel that for the orginal trilogy to flow naturally, we need to keep the gradual introduction of the Emperor and Palpatine should not be seen in the flesh until his reveal in Return of the Jedi. I cannot stress that enough.

But I do feel that if there is a flaw to ANH, it is the fact that Tarkin seems to be the head honcho, while the Emperor is hardly mentioned. If done right, I would not oppose a brief scene where Vader and Tarkin communicates with the Emperor via hologram. Just straighten out the proper chain of command.

I could however settle for not showing the Emperor, if he is instead mentioned more prominanty. I'm talking about lines from Darth Vader, like "The Emperor has given his approval" or "the Emperor is most displeased" etc.

So he may not need to appear if they just mention him more.

Now that I think about it, that would be even better. By mentioning him as someone important and then not show him, we add suspense and curiosity in the minds of the viewers (similar to the suspense surounding Jabba before the ANH SE).

This is one of the possibilties that were sadly not followed up in ANH. He is mentioned, but way too briely. Viewers are more likely to forget about him than wonder about him.

Anyway, maybe he shouldn't appear after all.

As for Yoda? He definately should not be added.

7. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    I don't think most people like meddling with the OT, it's just that Yoda and Sidious played such large parts in Episode 3, then they're completely gone in Episode 4. If they are to be watched in numerical order (which Lucas wants, but I disagree with), the viewer would be completely dumbfounded. It would be like TESB coming out in 1980, without a mention of Chewbacca or C-3PO. It's not really Lucas' fault, as he had no idea what he would be doing in 30 years when he was making ANH. Yoda's not really needed, but a scene with Ian as Sidious (as well as the Imperial March) could fit in ANH nicely.

8. morpha2

morpha2 Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2005
    I don't see what would be so jarring about it, to be honest. They have no parts to play in this particular chapter, so the audience doesn't see them. If anything it builds suspense so that when you finally do see Yoda again in the next film, you're excited or maybe relieved that he's returning to the story. Same goes for the Emperor.

We only hear about Bail Organa in ANH even though we've met him and seen him in action in EpII and III. Therefore, does he need to be shoehorned into ANH somehow for some reason? Shouldn't Watto appear in the cantina scene to provide some much-needed closure with Obi-Wan? You see where I'm going with this...

9. Darth_Laudrup

Darth_Laudrup Jedi Master star 4

Jul 7, 2004
    I too do not see any reason at all to add Yoda or Palpatine to ANH.

We have Kenobi as the wise Jedi and we have Tarkin as the mastermind villain. Also I've heard people wanting to insert a scene at the end were Vader fly to Coruscant at the end reporting to Palpatine the Destruction of the Death Star, but I feel that this would disrupt an otherwise perfect and iconic ending were Luke and Han get their medals.

10. BigBoy29

BigBoy29 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 3, 2004
    Because Yoda is the fans 1st or second fave good guy .....

Because Palps is the fans third or 4th fave villian ....

Why was Fett in AOTC?

Not too difficult answer.

11. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    I would add Bail Organa to ANH, but not Yoda or Palpatine. Bail's scene can be brief. Just show him on Alderaan shortly before it explodes.

12. dude4c

dude4c Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 3, 2003
    i like the idea of adding all three characters in anh, yoda, sidious, and bail. you could have yoda on hologram telling obiwan the time has come, right before obiwan sets out to the judland waste. short and sweet.

you could have bail appear as mentioned above, and sidious at the end before the medal ceremony, being informed by vader that a young rebel has destroyed the death star. but before vader reaches the emperor a general rushes to him and tells vader the name of the pilot.

a scene like that would show that vader knew of skywalker before the emperor did and purposly kept it from him.
    even though all that is implied, it would be nice to see. is it nessesary, No, but it would be nice to see what is implied.

i don't know George Lucas, but I think he probebly is amazed at how many people love his unfinished vision of ANH.

13. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    Probably repeatedly checking his watch waiting for Luke to arrive, which won't happen until ESB.

The whole point of Yoda is to be in isolation until ESB which means that if he was inserted into the movie he wouldn't be doing anything important. Plus you know by the end of ROTS that he's still alive, sitting on dagobah just waiting for the right time to assist in destroying the darkside. Luke is still just a n00b at the end of ANH, it's not time for yoda yet.

14. skyy38

skyy38 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 26, 2003
    Uh,I think the foreshadowing part already happened in Eps. 1-3.

15. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Personally, I would NOT want Yoda in EP. IV...it wouldn't fit-just to have him in one scene...and that's it...

I WOULD like to have Emperor Palpatine in there, however. NOT dissolving the Senate, I agree, that would be redundant...BUT show him at THE END, just before the award ceremony scene, with Darth Vader coming to report on all that had just happened, and perhaps some talk of "The one who destroyed the Death Star," and his strength with the force.

What would that scene DO for continuity? It would bring the Emperor into Ep IV, it would bring Coruscant into Ep IV-VI, (besides just the end celebration) AND it would flow better, and make more sense as to why the Emperor says what he does in Ep V, when on the hologram with Vader. It shows he had been thinking about it for a while, trying to solve that mystery.

I think adding THAT scene in there could WORK VERY WELL, ADD SO MUCH to the Episode, and in that place, it would FIT PERFECTLY!!!

...Another thing I think would work well is the deleted scene when Luke talks with Biggs at the Tosche Station, NOT the WHOLE thing, but edited somehow, showing the part where they're talking about the Empire, and the rebellion growing...there's some really good conversation there that gives us some insight to more ecenomical areas, showing how the GALAXY is reacting to this Empire...It would also add much more SCOPE to the Episode, something I think ANH could use abit more of...But put in the right place, I think it would fit very well!

16. Darthgordon

Darthgordon Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 1, 2005
    I have no problems with changes to the OT, however I agree, these scenes would be redundant and pointless. If you're watching the films 1-6 I can't understand the need to have them added. Why can't people sit through one two hour block of the Star Wars saga w/o seeing the Emperor and Yoda?

17. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    Yoda is on Dagobah from the end of ROTS until his death in ROTJ. What could Yoda possibly do in A New Hope while on Dagobah? Nothing.

The Emperor is on Coruscant at the end of ROTS until he visits the Death Star in ROTJ. What would be the need to see him any sooner? None. We know of his existence, thanks to the PT. That's all we need to know. When he finally shows himself in ROTJ, it's to put an end to the rebellion once and for all. To his surprise, it was his life that ended.

In other words, the stories are perfect the way they are.

18. DARTHFINGERZ

DARTHFINGERZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2004
    Viewing the Saga as a whole I think we must honestly think about something. IF the movies were made in order would Yoda or Palpatine be seen or play a part in AnH?

We'll never know for certain ofcourse but I would think atleast Palpatine would make some sort of an appearance as would Bail.

I can't stress enough that I'm cool with the movies as they are (although I'd still love some saber fixes...etc...) but at the same time I wouldn't mind atleast seeing a cameo of Palpatine similar to AoTC at the end speaking to Vader.

I wouldn't want to see a scene with the senate though.

19. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I want to see the scene where Palpatine dissolves the Senate. The pods would get all sticky and ****......

20. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Wrong. He could instruct Qu Rahn, help Jorj Car'das, and all those other dozens of people who apparently visited him in the EU before Luke :p

21. dude4c

dude4c Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 3, 2003
    GMJ:
    In other words, the stories are perfect the way they are.

ok, i thought we went over this in the other thread. The story is not "perfect". it could be if they fix some dialog, "your father wanted you to have this", "only a master of evil darth". anyway, we all know there is no such thing as a perfect movie...right.

22. skyysoblue

skyysoblue Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 15, 2005
    honestly I can't understand why he added anybody....

if Jabba and Boba Fett could get a little cameo, why not Yoda or the Emperor?

adding yoda also takes away from the initial wonder of luke meeting yoda....

if you want to add the emperor, do another holographic image as the death star moves to the rebel base

"sir, obi wan has been destroyed"

"bring me his body so that I may burn it"

"master...there was no body"

"this is a most troubling development, see personally to the destruction of every last rebel, I fear even the smallest of ships could pose a threat to us now"

"as you wish"

23. Pyrogenic

Pyrogenic Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2006
    The reason for adding Boba Fett is to show that he works for Jabba the Hutt from the get-go.

Yoda and Palpatine do not need to be added. It's interesting how they remain behind the scenes.

I wouldn't mind an Alderaan scene, though. Just to remind us of Bail Organa...

24. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    Yoda's not really needed in ANH if the deleted scene is reinserted in ROTS, showing Yoda in exile.

25. HotForLeiaInJedi

HotForLeiaInJedi Jedi Youngling

Jun 14, 2007
    The only scene I would want added in A New Hope would be Jar Jar's execution

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.