main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why do people want Palpatine and Yoda, etc. in Star Wars (ANH)?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DarthPoppy, Jun 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Strilo edit: Please discuss the films, not the fans. Until one of the CT mods can take a look at this, I am removing this post.

2. dude4c

dude4c Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 3, 2003
    Well i know my reason why I want them in ANH. ANH is (IMO) the weakest film in the saga. The insersion of these promenant characters would make the small universe in ANH larger and bring continuity to the saga.

it's also my opinion that thr PT has brought some light to the OT where it wasn't before. We look at the OT differently now. some for the better some for the worst. I like ep4, but it could be better. thank god we live in a time where we can do that. some people want to point out and cite other classic movies and how terrible it would be to have them altered. I wonder if the directors of those films (gone with the wind, wizard of oz, etc..) would change things if they had access to the technology, and or, were alive.

Star Wars is no longer 3 films, it is 6. it is not a bad thing to have them all blend into each other. The saga is still developing.

3. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001

I'd be willing to bet they wouldn't. Someone has to be responsible for these movies today and could still make that call. They probably don't want to change a classic. You take a movie like The Wizard of OZ from 1939, add tons of 2007 CGI, and you now have a 2007 movie. The 1939 classic is lost forever. There are some movies that need to be seen as "untouchable" and I feel the Star Wars trilogy are some of those movies. I just don't see how George can expect movies made 30 years apart to look the same. So much has changed since then. Rather than "beef up" the OT, why not show some restraint when making the PT?

Adding Palpatine and Yoda into ANH would just be gratuitous nonsense. Change for changes sake. The story simply doesn't need them to be there yet.

4. Plo_Koen

Plo_Koen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    I'd say the topic of this discussion is a different case.

Or are you suggesting that Palpatine and Yoda should've been left out of the PT entirely?

5. dude4c

Dec 3, 2003
    I disagree, the 39' classic would NOT be lost forever. You would have two films to choose from. in a sense it (WOZ) has already been altered. they have re-colorized it. making the film look better.

I don't think the suggestion for having Yoda injected into ANH is to give him a leading role or steal the movie. my suggestion is to show him briefly in a comunication with Obiwan (via hologram), letting him know "come the time has for young skywalker". this would take place right before obiwan sets out to the judland waste to rescue luke from the sandpeople. it also indicates that yoda is in tune with luke. it is suggested in ESB that yoda has been watching luke his whole life.

we Star wars fans in here know things from novels, EU, and commentary. the general public, and fringe fans need to see it.

6. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    The thing is that Star Wars was created by Lucas himself. The Wizard Of Oz was created by L. Frank Baum. I'd be against changing The Wizard Of Oz because Baum himself wouldn't be changing it because he's been dead for many years.
    Lucas should be able to do whatever he wants because it's his creation. Just like if Leonardo da Vinci were still alive and wanted to add a mustache and a beard to the Mona Lisa, he and only him should be allowed to.

7. Grand_Moff_Jawa

May 31, 2001

You wouldn't consider that a sacrilege?

8. Grand_Moff_Jawa

May 31, 2001

You quoted me out of context. George had the chance to make his PT mesh with the OT visually, sonically, whatever, but didn't do it. Now some fans want to change the OT, which has been established for many years, to make up for this. Adding Palpatine and Yoda to ANH would be just another attempt to mesh the two trilogies and would do nothing to serve the storyline.

The PT is all about Palpatine and his twisting of Anakin Skywalker, so of course he needed to be in it. Seeing the Jedi at the time of their fall would mean we had to see Yoda as well. I never said they shouldn't be in the PT.

9. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    I personally wouldn't like if da Vinci changed the Mona Lisa but he would have every right to do it, provided that he still owned it.

I don't like every change Lucas has done to the OT like Hayden in ROJ or changing Boba's voice in TESB. But Lucas has every right to do it if he wants to.

As I stated in an earlier post that if Lucas had made ANH after ROTS, Yoda and Palpatine would most likely be in it and people would not be complaining.

10. DarthButt

DarthButt Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2003
    This is teetering on the same old tired argument of whether changes should or should not be made. Please stick to the topic of why you want Palpatine and Yoda in ANH.

11. DarthPoppy

DarthPoppy Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    Thanks DarthButt. As you have noticed, I posed the question and have not participated in the discussion since. This is because I genuinely want to know why some fans want these insertions. Obviously, I do not want them (I actually think they would be horribly gratuitous), but I would like to understand why so many fans in other threads say they do want them. So this thread is not intended for argument (I know, not my usual style :D), but rather to hear from those who disagree with me what they think Palpatine and Yoda would add.

12. dude4c

Dec 3, 2003
    i think i've done that, at least.
    they would add some depth to the movie, notice i said movie and not story. the scenes i described in earlier post are scenes that wouldn't be a main part of the movie but a side note that they are still connected. some new fans would like to see what is implied. or what is written about, but not seen.

13. Jamiebacca

Jamiebacca Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    (shrugs)

I thought my answer was pretty good.

14. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    What would Yoda do in ANH, exactly, without some major re-write of the film? What benefit would there be in seeing Palpatine dissolve the senate if he never appears anywhere else in the movie and Tarkin informs the viewers that the senate has been dissolved?

15. Jamiebacca

Jamiebacca Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    1. Not much.
    2. No benefit.

16. dude4c

Dec 3, 2003
    well in my insertion of these characters, I would have Yoda appear as a hologram to obiwan, with obiwans back to the camera. He would inform Obiwan that the time has come for young skywalker. maybe an obiwan voice-over saying "yes master". thats it.

Palpatine would appear before the medal ceramony with vader arriving in coresant. After vader lands on the platform he is approched by a young captain, "My lord, we found the name of the rebel that destroyed the death star, his name is luke skywalker". Vader: "not a word of this to anyone else" captain: "i won't my...(starts choking)" in vaders backdrop as he approches the screen we see the captain holding his throat, dropping to his knees, as vader says, "i know you won't captain".

Vader enters throne room and kneels before the emperor and informs him that the ds has been destroyed and that it was Tarkins poor battle judgement that jeapordized the station.
    emperor: I am most displeased lord vader. we cannot afford any more mishalps. from now on all admirals will report to you, and you will report to me. is that understood?!" vader: yes my master.

then we go right to the medal ceramony. c'mon thats cool.

17. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    I'm all for people sharing their thoughts, but that's just plain awful. Qui-Gon's ghost at the end of RotJ? Highly improbably, but a cool idea. A Sidious scene at the end of ANH, mirroring AotC's (I don't care if it ruins the rhyme of his TPM/TESB introductions :p) I still wouldn't mind.

Let's stick to Why and not How, as most of the Hows probably give plenty of reasons for Why Not, especially if they're all as bad as those. C'mon, you can't be serious.

18. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    well in my insertion of these characters, I would have Yoda appear as a hologram to obiwan, with obiwans back to the camera. He would inform Obiwan that the time has come for young skywalker. maybe an obiwan voice-over saying "yes master". thats it.

Yoda doesn't inform Ben it is time. No one does. Ben ceases the moment when he sees Luke's sister trying to recruit the old Jedi's help. Plus, this would clash with the scne in ESB where Ben has to talk Yoda into training Luke.

Why else could Yoda appear in ANH? I just can't think of a reason.

Palpatine would appear before the medal ceramony with vader arriving in coresant. After vader lands on the platform he is approched by a young captain, "My lord, we found the name of the rebel that destroyed the death star, his name is luke skywalker". Vader: "not a word of this to anyone else" captain: "i won't my...(starts choking)" in vaders backdrop as he approches the screen we see the captain holding his throat, dropping to his knees, as vader says, "i know you won't captain".

Well, that's an interesting scene, but it doesn't give us any new information. If a new scene is going to be inserted it needs to serve a purpose that is absent, not for the sake of visual consistancy. Dooku isn't in TPM, Watto isn't in ROTS, JBB's fate is unknown and Lando isn't in ANH and this did not hurt the story any.

19. Master_EdgeCrusher

Master_EdgeCrusher Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 21, 2005
    to continue what was truly left off! There are so many other questions that need to be answered, unless he decides to write another book between and cut a 10th movie, which I know he will not! And what happened to Boba? He has to realise his Mandalorian quest; Oni Wan talking and comuning with his master as they watch Luke and Leia grow up! Too much that is not spoken of!

20. Grand_Moff_Jawa

May 31, 2001
    That's what imagination is for. ;)

21. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    Qui Gon at the end of ROTJ?Thats a new one. I don't see why'd he be there, I mean Lucas just needed a way for Yoda and Obi to find the secret to living threw the force. Qui Gon was respected by fans because of his liberalism jedi way. He was a student of the force, not so much the jedi. Luke would be standing there saying 'I know Ben and Yoda, I'm thinking one of these guys was my dad before becomming a machine. Who the hell is the other one?'

22. Darth_Laudrup

Darth_Laudrup Jedi Master star 4

Jul 7, 2004
    Right you are.

23. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    Yes, but if they were made in order the plot to ANH would likely be entirely different and there would be a place for Palpatine to appear without interupting the flow of the story, whereas now there is absolutely no reason for him to appear and any insertion that is made would simply be awkward and unnecessary.

He's claiming that Lucas is at fault for not making the PT line up with the OT to an extent that all the changes are unnecessary. The Prequels could have lined up perfectly, but they don't. If this is seen as a failing that must be rectified(personally I think no edits are necessary, there's things that don't line up, but nothing that's too bad) it's the Prequels that should be changed as the OT is older.

All of which is pointless in the overall story arc and is frankly irrelevent to both the OT and the Saga.

As Stryfe said "Yoda doesn't inform Ben it is time. No one does. Ben ceases the moment when he sees Luke's sister trying to recruit the old Jedi's help. Plus, this would clash with the scne in ESB where Ben has to talk Yoda into training Luke."

Those are both unncessary and would interrupt the flow of the story. They'd simply be awkward.

24. Plo_Koen

Plo_Koen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    Then tell me, what should be changed in the prequels to make the absence of the main villain of the saga (Palpatine) in an entire episode (ANH) not awkward?

25. dude4c

Dec 3, 2003
    DS:
    Yoda doesn't inform Ben it is time. No one does. Ben ceases the moment when he sees Luke's sister trying to recruit the old Jedi's help. Plus, this would clash with the scne in ESB where Ben has to talk Yoda into training Luke.

good point. i'll yeild to that. but i still like the emperor scene.
    i know this maybe off topic, but what did yoda mean in ROTS when he said "until the time is right." right for what? to reunite the twins, train them as jedi, what? if yoda is reluctant to train luke then what is the time for?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.