main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why do people want Palpatine and Yoda, etc. in Star Wars (ANH)?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DarthPoppy, Jun 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    I've got an idea! Go the Pirates route and make them post-credits scenes! :D

2. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    Even the Jabba scene doesn't really work because it becomes redundant in light of the exposition added to the Greedo scene to make up for its original excision.

3. Zak-Zahar

Zak-Zahar Jedi Youngling

Jun 24, 2007
    Call it your opinion, not a "truth". I love these lines, and the dialogs in general. I don't want them to change one bit. Your problems of continuity are your own. I don't have them.

4. Darth_Laudrup

Darth_Laudrup Jedi Master star 4

Jul 7, 2004
    and what's wrong with "only a master of evil Darth"?

and btw. Lukes father Anakin would have wanted his son to take over the role of a Jedi (pick up his saber). Darth Vader wouldn't want that, but since Kenobi sees them as two different people, and therefore there is nothing is wrong with this line at all.

5. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    Laudrup is right, Ben Kenobi see's them as two different people, which they are. When Anakin takes the title of Darth Vader, Anakin is thrown out the window. Anakin would've wanted his son to become a jedi, darth vader wants him as a sith apprentice.

6. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Anakin isn't thrown out of any window just because he changes his name. It demeans the entire point of the story to split Anakin and Vader and treat them as different characters. Anakin is Vader. Vader is Anakin. Luke appeals to the good side of Vader. Sebastian Shaw isn't just Anakin Skywalker again at the end, he's Darth Vader released from the Dark Side.

I appreciate the desire to rationalise the continuity problems, because despite the self-imposed mind-trick there are continuity problems, but let's not undermine the story and tragedy of Anakin Skywalker by reducing his turn and redemption to the flipping of switches.

What's wrong with "Only a master of evil Darth"? Nothing until it became apparent that Darth was a title rather than his first name. It sort of works alright still, but it's just a little odd since it's done a few times.

7. threepio_mania

threepio_mania Jedi Master star 3

Dec 15, 2002
    I never understood wanting these characters to show up in the first movie either. How about we save seeing these characters for the first time in the sequels? Seeing Emperor Palpatine in the first movie kind of takes away from the mystery of who the person in charge of Vader could possibly be like. Seeing Yoda in the first movie ruins the surprise of seeing this funny little green man for the first time that Luke meets on Dagobah, and the idea that we the audience assume that Master Yoda is going to be this imposing looking person before we finally see who he is.

Also, I don't get why "only a master of evil, Darth" is a problem. If Darth is a title and not a first name, it doesn't matter because Vader was the only Darth present at the time anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.