main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:WA Why do people with 'evil' personas go pearshapped...?

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Sock-Puppet, Aug 2, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sock-Puppet

Sock-Puppet Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 25, 2001
    Why do people with 'evil' personas go pearshapped when someone disagrees with them?

If you want everyone to pi$$ in your pocket fine, but then don't open a thread for debate. A debate is when people don't agree with you.

That said, what is the deal with darth maul?

Darth Maul has no personality, aside from looking sinister. This eliminates any dramatic tension in the final duel. A phantom menace, indeed. bold text

I give him about a 3 on the 'oh I'm shaking'-o- meter

2. Sith Magician

Sith Magician Jedi Master star 5

Sep 14, 1999
    I apoligise for an off topic post, but I feel I should respond to your thinly disguised barb.
    Show me exactly where I've gotten upset that I've been disagreed with.
    The only time I've responded with any sort of hostilty is to those who seek only to flame for daring to express a few thoughts.
    Might I suggest this is dropped now, before you look any more of an antoganistic child looking to stir trouble?

but back to the point, I agree Maul could have been much more menacing, something Soneil already covered in the "50 ways..." thread.

Awaiting childish response now...

3. Lord_Lazarus

Lord_Lazarus Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 11, 2001
    I also apologise for an off topic post, but this has been needing to be said for a while.

*BEGIN RANT*
    Just a quick question for the Puppet.... Why are you so intent on aggrivating people on this forum? Quite frankly you are starting to come across as some whiney immature preteen brat, craving attention. Now I don't have any problem with saying broad based comments that are going to start an interesting discussion, but intentionally singleing people out to flame is just going too far.

By the way a debate is where people discuss a topic from thier own point of view, be it for or against the topic, not an excuse for a personalised flame war. Debate the comment, not the person.

*END RANT*

Back on to the topic...

In my opinion, I saw Darth Maul as nothing more that a tool, that Darth Sideous used to manipulate the Jedi. He was a pawn, a pawn that was unfortunately sacrificed. That said, I think the lack of character building in his case worked, it showed how little Sideous cared about individuals compared to his whole grand scheme. He was cannon fodder. I saw Darth Sideous to be the "Phantom Menace" The one in the background, manipulating and controlling everything as he desired, without anyone even knowing he existed.

4. Sock-Puppet

Jul 25, 2001
    **back off topic for a minute**

You accuse me of a starting a flame war, and I'm sorry you feel that way. I gathered that was the mood of the forum when I posted a gibe about goths in a thread (I thought the thread was having a fun go at goths) and was accused of trolling. (I've known quite a few goths, and not only do their mums do their laundry but they buy the eyeliner as well) And maybe in my preteen attention seeking mindset I took off on a tangent best left alone. If I had meant to be offensive, I would have said keep it stupid simple.

**back on topic**

Darth Maul was a classic side kick character, which I think is why he made such a poor bad guy. There was nothing personal between him and obi wan and qui gonn, so when he faced them the audience had no emotional investment. He was just a stooge following orders from a guy we saw little of.

5. Stinky_jawa

Stinky_jawa Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2000
    *I wish to have no part in this little battle of words above.. but I will engage in some light hearted debate on the topic of darth maul*

hmm.. I c u're point SP, but I dont think I could agree that Darth Maul was a side-kick kind of character.. a side kick is an almost equal partner that aids the more experienced person in a team-like arrangement... He was more (like LL said above) a pawn. He got told to do something, he did it.

Nothing personal in between obi wan and qui gonn? Are you serious? He's sith, they are jedi knights... its like 2 different religions that hate each other. Darth Maul had definate hatrid for the jedi...

And again like said above by LL.. the 'stooge', wasnt meant to be seen much.. suspense draws out the movie(s), binds them together... why would anyone come back for episode 2 if they solved everything in the first movie?

BUT, having said that, I agree with u're first post partly. I think they maybe should have had a part in the movie to go into darth maul a bit more... give him more of a personality. But then again, does someone under the influence of the dark side have much of one?
    ie - *kill, kill, destroy, conquer, raa, raa, eliminate jedi, unlimited rice pudding, etc etc*

My opinion anyway.. ;)

6. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    Btw, I don't believe anyones officially welcomed you to the boards as yet Sock Puppet,
    Maybe that says something to you?

7. Sock-Puppet

Jul 25, 2001
    Nothing personal in between obi wan and qui gonn? Are you serious? He's sith, they are jedi knights... its like 2 different religions that hate each other. Darth Maul had definate hatrid for the jedi... [B/]

I agree that in a global, big picture sense the jedi and sith are going to hate each other but watching TPM its hard to get the impression that the emotionless jedi hate anyone (until the end, when obi wan goes south)

In the classic trilogy, the general mood of the films (esp SW and RoTJ) was the underdog triumphing over insurmountable odds. In TPM maul is the underdog, he's one angry little man against the seething masses of jedi, and he's dispatched without much ceremony and they all move on.

Anyway, back to my point. Successful movies, where we feel happy and triumphant that the bad guy has been defeated, there is something personal (beyond race, religion, whatever) between the characters (more often than not something to do with family or friends) that makes pursuing and killing the bad guy, often reluctantly, okay.

Obi-Wan killed maul after maul killed qui gonn. The whole thing was only personal for about 60 seconds, and by that time they were already trying to kill him.

8. soneil

soneil Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    One thing I've often wondered about. What hapenned to Mauls Sith Infiltrator? Presumably, he landed it somewhere near Theed. He didn't leave in it! I would expect that someone would have found it sooner or later. Finding what was supposedly a very secret experimental ship like that would have raised a few eyebrows I think. I doubt that Palpy would have taken it back since he was on Naboo as part of an official Republic group.
    Maybe the Jedi found it and took it. Maybe a gungan found it and went hunting for goober fish.

9. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    I would've had the ship set to a self destruct, timed that if I didn't get back to it by a certain time, or if certain actions weren't performed upon entering.
    And it would be rigged to be one hell of an explosion.

10. Sock-Puppet

Jul 25, 2001
    I think you'll find that annie, who had bugger all to do while obi wan and yoda had a deep and meaningful, wandered into the 'outskirts', found the sith infiltrater and decided to turn it into a pod racer (he had a couple of hours to kill) or maybe a droid. Only while on board he came across a magical crystal which, when thrown into the convenient frozen wasteland nearby, turned into a huge crytaline structure and told him who he really was, how he had come to this planet because his planet had blown up, and that his fate was to be vader, the dark lord.

He left the ship and forgot he was ever there, but the seed had been planted...

11. Princess_Lego

Princess_Lego Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 4, 2000
    And we all thought Vader wore that outfit to hide some hideous deformation. Now we know, he was just embarrassed about the red and blue underwear with the big letter D on the front.

12. Stinky_jawa

Stinky_jawa Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2000
    or maybe he was trying to conceal that lightsaber?

*looks closer*....hang on a second!! ;)

sorry.. the mature me didnt catch that one in time... :D

13. Sock-Puppet

Jul 25, 2001
    I don't see what you....

oh.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.