main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why do R2 droids load from the top of an X-Wing?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Krash, Apr 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    Just one of those things you think about, sorry if this has been discussed.

In TPM, R2 units loaded themselves (quickly) into N-1 fighters from below the ship. But in ANH, we see R2-D2 having to be loaded into the top of Luke's X-Wing; with the help of a crane and 2-man support crew. And in ESB, we see R2 remove himself from the droid socket on Dagobah, only to fall off (otherwise he would have needed some kind of assistance) what would have been a great distance w/out the "pit crew" from ANH.

Why don't R2 units load into X-Wings the same way as in N-1 fighters?

2. OBIX1

OBIX1 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 7, 2002
    I never thought of that before :) I don't really know,maybe there's no room in an x-wing to put a slot in the bottom,for the R2's to load :)

3. Lank_Pavail

Lank_Pavail Jedi Knight star 7

Sep 26, 2002
    IIRC, the space underneath the R2 slot is the cargo bay and covers part of the fuel tank.

So, that would make it impossible to place a slot for an astromech droid.

4. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    Yeah, I've noticed that in the Star Wars Incredible Cross Sections books. I'm just curious about your theory as to why INCOM would design the X-Wing to require such an awkward method of loading the R2 unit? Especially when previous (older) starfighters have a more efficient method of installing their astromech.

I know this is kind of a "chicken and the egg" question, but just wondering about your thoughts on the matter.

5. Blackout

Blackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2000
    LOL, I like your chicken/egg analogy Krash, thinking about it:

Q. Which came first, the Chicken or the Egg?

A. The Egg obviously. In fact, chickens were only invented 20 years later, when God was working on the prequels. Obviously, the Chickens didn't look up to much, but it was a bit late by then; everyone had already seen the Egg. God, meanwhile, is refusing to comment on rumours of an Ultimate Edition Egg.

Class :p

{||||| ?||} ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

6. Iron_Fist

Iron_Fist Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 30, 2003
    That was very funny, Blackout :D

7. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    The N-1 Starfighter includes three finials (two heat finials, and a "rat-tail" finial on the back), which complete its elegant design.

The "rat-tail" finial completes the back of the ship, behind the pilot. There is not much space behind the pilot at all, and the fact the rat-tail finial is such an elongated and smaller part of the ship (because it is used in communication, and the rear finial contains all of the essential components for this) does not help in giving more room for an astromech droid.

Because of this, the N-1 Starfighter requires that the standard astromech actually compress to fit into the droid socket. The droid actually loads itself via leg clamps into the socket, and it proceeds to compress its upper body to conform with the ship, as well as extending its dome from its body.

The X-wing, however as an advanced ship with more added firepower, did not have this space problem and did not require the standard astromech to compress. It is manually loaded from the top, and fits perfectly. Because of not having to "compress", the astromech can actually sit above a cargo space, as well as more enhanced life support systems for the pilot.

In conclusion, although arguably the N-1 is equal to the X-wing firepower and vastly superior in manueverability, the X-wing provides more space and compatability with the technology in its respective era and age.

;) :)

Ken Kenobi- And you have a nice day ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.