main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why do SA girls hate Star Wars? :(

Discussion in 'Archive: South Africa' started by OnlyOneKenobi, Oct 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OnlyOneKenobi

OnlyOneKenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 19, 2002
    I took my gf to see AOTC when it came out, and while she says she enjoyed it, she gives me the "death stare" if I even joke about seeing it again. She doesn't like any of the other SW movies, not TPM, ANH, TESB or ROTJ... Funny thing is she had no problem going to see Spider-Man a second time, and said she'll even watch it a third time or more... He he he... oh well I have the TPM DVD and will get AOTC DVD when it is released, so I can watch it over and over and over and over again! Alone if I have to! Women! *sigh*

2. Tupolov

Tupolov Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    I have also noticed how some people do not like Star Wars.

3. death-sticks

death-sticks Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    strange creatures, humans are. no single one is identical to the next. and they all have different interests! *shudders* [face_laugh]

4. Lord_Rewner

Lord_Rewner Jedi Youngling

Oct 22, 2002

Here in Brazil (Z not S) same girls like SW but is dificult to find too. I thing that many girls haven't "skills" to see SW, but this is changing

5. JediRuler

JediRuler Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 15, 2002
    I guess a lot of girls hate the violence in the films. Though I love them! :D

6. FireAndGold

FireAndGold Jedi Youngling

Mar 2, 2001
    I have 4 friends who absolutely adore SW. Most girls aren't really into sci-fi, in general, not just in SA. I'm proud to say that I have been a proud SW fan since '97. :D

7. death-sticks

death-sticks Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    amusing, i've liked it since january 2002. my newly acquired seventh grade friends hooked me up to lotr and star wars just followed. it was rather simple.

8. HappyPlace

HappyPlace Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 23, 2002
    :D My friend, you know the wrong girls! I am a girl (well, a little older than a girl) and most of my female friends love Star Wars too! Personally I was bored to tears in Spiderman--enjoyed some of the special effects, but my main gripe with the movie was that the heroine was SOOO annoying and I couldn't for the life of me see why Peter P was so crazy about her! I think that was why I loved this episode of SW--I liked that Anakin could fall in love with a kick-@ss girl like Padme (who does a little more than stand around looking helpless and screaming "look out Spiderman")!

I've been a fan of SW since I saw Return of the Jedi in theatres many moons ago and have since watched the OT many, MANY times. Can't say I enjoyed TPM overly much, it had some amazing special effects scenes, but the story itself did not move me. AotC, on the other hand, blew me away! I went to see it 5 times in theatres!

Phew, anyway, long answer to say, the female fans of SW ARE out there. :)

9. LeiaTygre

LeiaTygre Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 9, 2002
    I have to say, I have noticed that many girls don't like Star Wars. Why, I have no idea. I have known a few who have never even bothered to see it, or worse yet, don't even know what Star Wars is! *shudder*

Spiderman followed the comic book and cartoon series pretty closely, so if youe have read/seen those, you got exactly what you expected.

10. Nala_Alturi

Nala_Alturi Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 16, 2002
    Hello to everyone in the SA Fan Force from the West Side Of The Force in the USA :) .
    I may not be from SA but I love Star Wars. [face_love] I try to attend as many conventions and meetings as possable in full costume.I make all of my costumes and props and wear them.I am working on a Speederbike prop now.And as soon as I build a vaccume table I plan to make me a full Stormtrooper costume. So I you want to find a girl that is in to Star Wars try to attend a convention or show up at your next meeting in costume.I am sure you will find out there are more SA girls into Star Wars then you might think. :)

11. OnlyOneKenobi

Jul 19, 2002
    lol... there's no such thing as Star Wars conventions in South Africa, much less ones where people wear costumes and props. If only I lived in the USA... *sigh*

12. Nala_Alturi

Nov 16, 2002
    OnlyOneKenobi Sorry to hear that. :(
    Ok you could make everyone think there is one if start having some of your meetings in costume or have a Star Wars party where everyone comes in costume.
    I am sure that there is someone in SA who has a costume or two that he/she has been working on and would like the chance to wear it somewhere besides at home.
    Or start a and prop workshop with some if not all of the creative Star Wars fans you know. Think is there some you know or even heard about that has built or is building a costume that lives where you are?
    Good place to start. If there is one thing I know about Star Wars Fans it is this. We are the most creative people on the planet. The fans that build props and costumes look at everyday items and think of every possible usage the item could be used for except it `s intended usage. :D
    I am pretty sure you know a fan or heard of a of fan that has built a lightsaber out of some everyday items. Like plumbing pipe,a flashlight,epoxy, a few rubber washers, some windshield wipers,a plastic rod or wood dowl,some spray paint and a little imagination.Maby they even took a toy lightsaber and modified it.
    OnlyOneKenobi
    If you do hold a meeting in costume post the
    pictures so other Star Wars fans can see them.

13. OnlyOneKenobi

Jul 19, 2002
    OnlyOneKenobi Sorry to hear that.
    Ok you could make everyone think there is one if start having some of your meetings in costume or have a Star Wars party where everyone comes in costume.

Not everyone cares. Most people are just casual fans who watch the movies, read the books and play the games and nothing more.

I am sure that there is someone in SA who has a costume or two that he/she has been working on and would like the chance to wear it somewhere besides at home.

Unlikely. They would live in fear of ridicule forever.

Or start a and prop workshop with some if not all of the creative Star Wars fans you know. Think is there some you know or even heard about that has built or is building a costume that lives where you are?

SA isn't very big on conventions or costume parties, even if there are people who have the abilty to make props or costumes they wouldn't bother - it's a different culture. It's sad but true.

I am pretty sure you know a fan or heard of a of fan that has built a lightsaber out of some everyday items. Like plumbing pipe,a flashlight,epoxy, a few rubber washers, some windshield wipers,a plastic rod or wood dowl,some spray paint and a little imagination.Maby they even took a toy lightsaber and modified it.

Only in the USA...

:(

14. Nala_Alturi

Nov 16, 2002
    So what you are basically telling me is no one in the SA
    has made a costume or prop and would be willing to let other people see what they have created or teach someone how to make their own?
    Is this correct?
    Or did I misunderstand something?

15. Nala_Alturi

Nov 16, 2002
    Does this also mean no one in SA would
    attend a SW Movie Marathon in costume if one was planned?

How often do you have meetings?
    And what do you do at them?

16. Bid4Tuna

Bid4Tuna Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 5, 2003
    they must be pretty stupid to hate star wars its a good series of films

17. VaderFett

VaderFett Jedi Youngling star 1

May 20, 2003
    Girls in England make a very big point of having " fallen asllep in the middle of it".
    This is because to like a Star Wars movie is to say that you have something deep and real about you. But some girls do not like that. However all is not lost as this tread has there are enlightend/starwars loving girls out there!

Vader Fett

18. LordSilvertouch

LordSilvertouch Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2003
    Of course, it could be that they just genuinly don´t like it

*slaps VaderFett on the back of the head*

Did you consider that?

19. Forja-Bingbey

Forja-Bingbey Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 12, 2002
    Silvertouch... nan, nan, nan, nan! Silvertouch... yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah!!

Girls everywhere hate Star Wars. THat A FaCt JaCk BlAcK?!

20. Ton_G

Ton_G Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2002
    I hope not, Or will be shunned forever, lol!

21. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    I adore SW, as do a half dozen or so of my female friends. Most of which I introduced to it, but that's beside the point. :p

YubYub and TG- Protecting fangirls from hormonally gifted fanboys since 2002

22. Ton_G

Ton_G Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2002
    DoY! Lol....figure bumbing into you here...actually ost of my relatives live in SA! Does anyone know any Togni's?

23. liliana

liliana Jedi Youngling

Nov 7, 2003
    thats a generalization I'm an SA girl and I love Star Wars

24. OnlyOneKenobi

Jul 19, 2002
    Hey Liliana, good to know there are SA girls out there who like Star Wars, lol - at one point I was beginning to think all SA women \ girls hate SW movies, can't even mention it without getting death stares :p...

Whereabouts in SA are you? Welcome to the forums!!

25. Stephen_StCroix

Stephen_StCroix Jedi Youngling

Feb 13, 2004
    Girls will like SW if you dress as the right character.
    Like Han Solo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.