main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Why do Sith Masters encourage their apprentices to kill them?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Why_So_Serious, May 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    Was ordered to get rid of Ventress because she'd been too powerful, not foingrbidden from hav any enforcer at all. Got rid of Ventress, found a replacement. Doesn't violate any order Sidious gave. ;)

VanishingReality likes this.
  2. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Again, so what?

Outside of how it can be used as a means to control others, a Dark Lord of the Sith cares exactly three-fifths of **** all about rules, even the Rule of Two. Maul's line to Savage about only the two of them being "true" Sith Lords was a load of crap to stroke both their egos. Remember, on top of the garden variety cray-cray common to all Sith, Maul is only one step back from being barking mad.

More to come...

Son of a Bith and Darth_Pevra like this.
  3. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Granted this falls under the "Table Scraps Clause" of the RoT, but the distinction between "dark side flunkie" and "3rd Sith" can be a really fuzzy one. Sidious, having successfully pulled this trick on his Master, had exactly zero interest in seeing his apprentice give it a go.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  4. DarthJenari

Dec 17, 2011
    Of course. As you said he'd done something similar and gone as far as actually breaking the Rule, but used an excuse to appease his master. Being who he is he'd never allow the possibility of the same thing happening to him. However with Ventress, Dooku did indeed make the attempt to kill her when ordered. And Savage followed soon after.

5. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    So then what are we arguing about? :p

6. DarthJenari

Dec 17, 2011
    Whether or not Ventress or Savage would be considered a violation of the Rule of Two on Dooku's part, as Maul was on the part of Sidious, and Galen was on the part of Vader. :D

7. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    To which I still LOL at quibbling over Sith violating rules.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  8. DarthJenari

Dec 17, 2011
    I don't think it matters if they do or not, however if they didn't then I don't see a reason to say they did lol.

9. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009

A person who blind themselves doesn't want to see how the sith being a bad concept, equals their stupid tactics, behavior and execution of ideals.

You can try to make up some hoop jumping "logic" behind sith behavior, but you can't get around the fact that the sith do what they do because they are stupid, badly conceptualized antagonists.

10. DarthJenari

Dec 17, 2011
    Again lol I have no idea what that has to do with the current conversation. No one save you has been talking about whether or not they're good antagonists, i'm certainly not, so i'm not sure why you're looking at my posts as if they're aimed at proving they are.

11. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Not the original Sith though. Sure Palpatine is as flat as can be, but Vader definitely made up for it with his personality. Only when every Sith master started behaving like Palpatine and had exactly the same motivations it became problematic simply because the super megalomaniac bad guy is a tired trope and these characters often don't act intelligently.

When the Sith are done well with, they can be very interesting antagonists. See Darth Traya for example. She is a very well rounded and threatening antagonist yet she didn't care for galactic domination. Like my avatar shows I am also partial to Lord Odion who also had a very unique motivation and mindset.

I personally am a fan of the Sith and their code but I wished more would be done with them. Individuality is one of their core principals yet often they are reduced to the basic evil megalomaniac template.

12. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Back on topic, I wonder when it is that an apprentice shifts from "useful tool" to "holy **** this guy could kill me!" in their Masters' estimation...

13. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Depends on the megalomania of the master, I guess. A clever pupil would always try to hide how powerful he really is so that the master doesn't get nervous.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  14. DarthJenari

Dec 17, 2011
    I'd think that from the start any Sith would understand there's a possibility their apprentice could kill them and make preparations to deal with it.

15. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I think the reason Palpatine encouraged Anakin and Luke to kill him is because they would never serve Palpatine without the intent of doing so.

16. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    not all seceret apprenctices are under prepared..

17. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000

In case you didn't you didn't know, Krayt didn't stay dead...

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  18. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    Indeed. Luckily Ventress didn't die.

Anyways The Rule of Two is a joke that is conveinient because there are only two Sith seen at a time in films. In a practical aspect it is very limiting rule and a joke that most smart Sith choose not to follow when it suits them.

19. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Yeah, that was the other great tragedy of the series, IMHO. The story was doing a bang-up job of demonstrating why the RoT exists, and then they totally backtracked on it.

rumsmuggler likes this.
  20. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    But it would have happened with RoT too. Most apprentices would use such an opportunity to kill their master.

rumsmuggler likes this.
  21. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    I mean "why" inasmuch as every Sith Lord will (or at least should) have the same revelation as Wyrrlok did after facing Andeddu, namely that the extent of any Sith's ambition should never be to serve anyone. Sure, an aspiring Sith can temporarily serve another, but only as a means to advance their own plans. Loyalty and subservience should be utterly anathema to a Sith Lord.

I think its no coincidence that Krayt occasionally orders students to kill their instructors. Its a means to be rid of Sith before they start making the same realization as Wyyrlok.

22. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    This sounds like another rule or shackle to me. It doesn't take into account that some draw satisfaction from being subservient.

I mean, sure, if your goal is galactic domination (or ends to an means, whatever), then of course endless servitude won't get you very far. But there were some Sith Lords who didn't give a crap about galactic domination. Lady Traya willingly gave her life just so that her Padawan could rise above her, serving the player character of KotoR II 'til the end in a way.

23. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    I think you misunderstand me. Every Sith has as their goal "I wanna do whatever I want!" All other considerations are secondary at best. A Sith might serve another for awhile, for example, but its to learn how to do whatver they want.

Some Sith want to rule the galaxy forever. Some Sith (like your avatar) want to eradicate all life. Some Sith just want to save their spouses from death. What do all those Sith have in common? What they wanna do is what THEY -and no one else - wanna do. To be truly loyal, to be truly subservient to another, to serve someone as an end goal instead of as a stepping-stone, is ultimately to set aside your own goals in favor of someone else's.

To which a worthy Sith Lord would say "**** that."

rumsmuggler likes this.
  24. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I mostly agree with you.

But seriously, what if you simply enjoy serving your master? It could happen. Maul seemed to genuinely like Palpatine and admired him. What if what you really want is to your master to love you? In that case killing him would be counterproductive, while serving him would be very productive towards your goal. Your masters and your own goals would be aligned.

Maybe it seems I'm inventing corner cases, but these are the Sith. You can never know with them.

25. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    In any other master-servant relationship that makes sense, but it would undermine the entire philosophy of the Sith. With an apprentice who loved him and desired to serve him the Master would grow comfortable and complacent, and would be ripe to be defeated by another dark sider or even the Jedi. With the Sith strength lies in the preparedness and constant struggle. This one of the reasons for Palpatines downfall, after ruling the galaxy for 2 decades with a pathetic, broken apprentice he no longer had the hunger and struggle that a Sith Master should. I think he saw this in himself and thus why he tried to replace Vader with a more powerful apprentice multiple times.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.