main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why do some STAR WARS fans still have a problem with the premise of Midi-Chlorians ??? (AN OPINION.)

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by currentswillshift, Jul 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AgentCoop

AgentCoop Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2002
    No harm. Both sides of these debates have a way of taking things too far. This usually results in people posting things that are inflammatory or condescending. We're all guilty of it.

Sometimes I just think we all need to keep in mind that the reason we take these topics so seriously is that we ALL have found something in "Star Wars" that has tremendous meaning for us. It helps to remember that we all have at least one thing in common.

2. DarthTerrious

DarthTerrious Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 16, 2001
    Now thats something AgentCoop I can agree on with you. :)

3. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    why is it obvious that he puts alot of thought into the stories?

Read Star Wars: The Annotated Screenplays and listen to the commentary on the Episode I DVD.

4. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Something else about Midichlorians. They explain why the tree over the cave was strong with the Force. And Luke could feel the dark side. A tree is not a Jedi or Sith, but can use the Force. Midichlorians exist in all lifeforms and that includes trees such as that one. Again, I see no contradictions.

I've also known since before TPM, that only certain people were born with the Force. Hell, even the eu got that correct. With Luke having to go through great lengths to find and train Jedi for the New Jedi Order.

5. Durwood

May 18, 2002
    To all the people claiming that their reasons for not liking midichlorians don't stem from having their preconceptions trounced on, let me ask this: how many people new to Star Wars via Episode I got all bent out of shape about midichlorians?

I have a friend who had never seen a Star Wars film before The Phantom Menace (which he loves, by the way) and the concept of midichlorians didn't even register with him. Even after watching the original films (his favorite of the originals is Return Of The Jedi, interestingly enough) he still didn't latch onto the concept of midichlorians or even think to feel they're out of place, which is how I think George Lucas wants it. It's just a bit of flavor in the universe he created. It's not supposed to be the whole meal.

In other words, some folks are making a big deal about something that was for all intents and purposes mentioned in passing.

6. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    It's wonderful that your friend had that kind of experience. Many of us didn't - we had 22 years of articles, interviews, and quotes from Lucas about the nature of the Force that didn't mention midiclorians.

7. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    Well if you would read the ANH novelization, you would find a passage that talks about how the Republic tried to define the Froce with science, but never suceeded, and Obi-Wan said that perhaps there was some magic involved with the Force as well.

So Lucas doesn't carefully prepare you for Midichlorians in every interview you decided to read, it's not like he signed a contract saying he would never do anything he didn't already mention in an inteview for the last 20 some years.

Omission is not a contradiction.

8. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    ANH novelization

It's on my reading list for when I finish graduate school. All of the OT novelizations are.

9. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Even that statement in the book isn't contradictory. Scientists, not Jedi scientists. Or even trying to understand the relationship between Midichlorians and Jedi.

10. DrEvazan

DrEvazan Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 19, 2002
    why is it obvious that he puts alot of thought into the stories?

"Read Star Wars: The Annotated Screenplays and listen to the commentary on the Episode I DVD."

in other words, there is nothing in the FILMS that would make one think he puts alot of thought into the stories, to come up with that idea one has to listen to the lip service GL added after the fact.

11. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    It's there just in case you can't tell from the watching the movie on your own.

12. dahveed72

dahveed72 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 11, 2002
    good one, gomer!!

13. TokyoXtreme

TokyoXtreme Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2001
    So Lucas doesn't carefully prepare you for Midichlorians in every interview you decided to read, it's not like he signed a contract saying he would never do anything he didn't already mention in an inteview for the last 20 some years.

Omission is not a contradiction.

But if it doesn't happen in the film, or if it isn't talked about in the film, then it didn't happen!

14. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    It still happens. Anything that Lucas creates, or has help in creating, happened.

15. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    IT DID HAPPEN IN THE FILM. IT HAPPENDED IN TPM.

16. Durwood

May 18, 2002
    Q-Sith

It's wonderful that your friend had that kind of experience. Many of us didn't - we had 22 years of articles, interviews, and quotes from Lucas about the nature of the Force that didn't mention midiclorians.

That's exactly my point. Those who haven't had 22 years to speculate about the exact nature of the force really don't have a problem with midichlorians.

Dr. E

in other words, there is nothing in the FILMS that would make one think he puts alot of thought into the stories, to come up with that idea one has to listen to the lip service GL added after the fact.

You said, "There's no evidence that Lucas puts a lot of thought into his movies."

I said, "Sure there is," then provided specific sources that you can easily check for yourself.

You said, "Bah! I still say there is no evidence!"

The evidence is there if you bothered to look. Now whether you like the films or not is a different matter, but regardless of your opinions, it is a fact that Lucas puts a lot of thought and hard work into his movies.

Gomer

IT DID HAPPEN IN THE FILM. IT HAPPENDED IN TPM.

Of course it did. But you're forgetting that bashers deny that The Phantom Menace is part of Star Wars.

17. DarthTerrious

May 16, 2001
    Durwood, as I said in one of my recent posts, I like your friend first saw SW when TPM came out. And I have friends many many friends who first experienced Star Wars when TPM rolled in. No matter what their complaints of the film (which were trivial at best) Midichlorians never entered any of our conversations, well at least in a negative way.

Dr.E: Really your ignorance is astounding, as has been mentioned the evidence is there for you to take notice of. But typically you ignore it because Durwood might be right. At least look at the evidence provided then make a comment.

18. DrEvazan

Jun 19, 2002
    what im saying is that just because you think he put thought into it or lucas says he put thought into it, does not work as EVIDENCE of anything other than that he has said he has put alot of thought into it.

but again thanks for the flame. it seems that is the only way some of you can respond.

for me the PT films themselves are proof lucas has not thought through what he is doing. after all so far with the PT he has spoiled most of the major surprises of the saga and contradicted many of the major themes and elements of the saga in a way that simply will not flow if the films are watched together as a whole, FOR ME.

maybe you dont agree but i think that if lucas actually did put some thought into what he was doing with the PT, this could have all been easily avoided.

19. Durwood

May 18, 2002
    what im saying is that just because...Lucas says he put thought into it, does not work as EVIDENCE of anything other than that he has said he has put alot of thought into it.

Ah, so now we're back to the "Lucas is a flithy greedy liar!" argument where any quote made by Lucas is immediately suspect and therefore can be safely ignored. So you would have us believe that Lucas didn't put any thought into his story and then went back and said, "Hmmm...I better make up a bunch of B.S. to make it look like I put some thought into this or else people might figure me out."? Is that it?

And bashers wonder why they're not taken seriously.

20. SWfan2002

SWfan2002 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2002
    Dr. Evazan wrote:

i think that if lucas actually did put some thought into what he was doing with the PT, this could have all been easily avoided.

You have got to be kidding me! You actually don't think that GL put any THOUGHT into to PT? Whether or not you like the PT thus far is one thing, but to think that GL put NO thought into making it proves that you are ill-informed to say the least. Listen to the TPM DVD commentary and perhaps view the GL interview with Bill Moyers-- then tell me again that GL hasn't put any thought into the PT.

21. DarthTerrious

May 16, 2001
    Well I wasn't flaming just make a valid point.

"for me the PT films themselves are proof lucas has not thought through what he is doing. after all so far with the PT he has spoiled most of the major surprises of the saga and contradicted many of the major themes and elements of the saga in a way that simply will not flow if the films are watched together as a whole, FOR ME.

Well obviously the films you are watching aren't what I'm seeing. And what Major surprises has he spoilt?
    Plus I can't see how he has contradicted anything. I thought that he added things and created a mor complete picture. Isn't that what we wan? A comlete picture of Anakin Skywalker, Obi-Wan Kenobi and the Star Wars saga as a whole?

Well Dr.E enlighten me as to these things you allude to.

EDIT:
    And really Dr. Evazan you are talking out of your arse, because you couldn't do any bette. You know nothing of the Star Wars universe, GL is the Master of it, he is the damn creator.

22. Darth-Schwartz

Darth-Schwartz Jedi Master star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    let lucas do his job, if its in the movie he wanted it there so leave it alone already. everyone just knows everything i see, george should do this to his movies, george should do that to HIS movies blah blah, if you don't like it don't watch it and quit complaining.

23. DrEvazan

Jun 19, 2002
    why must people always jump to extremes to try and prove their arguments?

nowhere did i say anything about lucas being a greedy filthy liar in my post. but if that helps you dismiss and argument without really adressing it, too bad for you.

my point has been made, no need to repeat it.

since when are bashers not taken seriously? all i see is people like you and others whine about any and all critisicm of the films. seems like you are taking the bashers pretty seriously to me.

i have my opinion that lucas did not put alot of thought into these films, based on the films themselves and not various outside sources.

you have your oppinion that lucas put alot of thought into the films based on things he has said AFTER THE FACT.

ill stick with my opinion, as its the one that seems most reasonable to me based on what i have seen so far in epis I and II.

you keep thinking and believing whatever you like, it makes no difference to me.

24. DarthTerrious

May 16, 2001
    well I guess ignorance is bliss huh.

If you actually paid attention to the man instead of his creation then you might understand why he put something into the films.
    You live in your cuckoo land all you like, but the truth is that from many sources GL does put alot of thought into his own story.
    Dr Evazan you go out create a whole new sci-fi, fantasy mythology with new characters settings and try to better George Lucas.....go on I dare you.

25. bleh19

bleh19 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 24, 2001
    "he has spoiled most of the major surprises of the saga and contradicted many of the major themes and elements of the saga"

Well, then don't say something as vague and baseless as that and expect not to get an earfull.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.