Why do they hate us?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by The1, Jun 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The1 Jedi Knight

star 1
    I'm having a hard time, I live in the U.S and it seems that every country has some hatred towards us. Someone please tell me why this is so. Somebody just help me understand why the whole world is going to hell.

See last post.
  2. GrandAdmiralPelleaon Force Ghost

star 6
    I'll repost what I put in your other thread:

To summerize:

1) American attitude. "We are the best country ever and everyone else sucks."

You might not see this alot but other countries do.

"Oh look honey! a castle, you think that they made that especially for *us* american tourists?" < actual quote from an american tourist.

"Hey! why the **** are you pissing against my house,"

"**** off man! you can't tell me what to do because *I* am an American citizen!"

< actual quote. (the guy was drunk though.)

2) American foreign policy, people don't like it when the US portrays themselves for all that is just in the world, meddle in other peoples affairs and are being extremly hypocrite while doing it.

And that's only a beginning.
  3. Dan Chosen One

star 6
    We aren't arrogant. We really are better than every one else.
  4. Darth Mulacki Force Ghost

star 5
    I have to agree with GAP, it's your "America is the best place in the world" attitude.

-Mulacki
  5. darth_boy Jedi Master

star 7
    i dont hate Americans, but have a dislike SOME, for their "we are so high and mighty, and better than everyone else" opinions.

You cant say every country hates you, because as English we are seen as your biggest Allies. In England we generally tend to think that the average American is pretty dum and has a low IQ i.e. people on Jerry Springer "i just slept with ma uncle Joe"...
    Also we think the way you speak is weird. I mean you pronounce the word Route as Rowt, and dont know how to spell some words correctly (coloUr, mUm) but IMO that has just happened due to regional dialect (LOL, ive probably made many spelling mistakes here anyway). However we definately do NOT hate you.
  6. FlamingSword Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I was born in and lived in The Netherlands for the first ten years of my life. I've been living in the US for more than 11 years no. I also have a Canadian boyfriend. So I've known what it feels like to be on either side.

The world doesn't hate the US; but they may have a mild dislike. There are exception such as countries in the middle east. They truly do hate the US.

One of the biggest reasons is the American attitude of "Don't tread on me or mine," IMHO. Americans feel they can get and achieve anything sometimes with the world be damned. I'm sure we've all seen movies where there has been something like "You can't do that to me! I'm and American!" That's the attitude the rest of the world doesn't share. People do have different attitudes in different countries. Attitudes in other countries are more like "Let's all help each other." It's the group over the individual while in the US, it's often the individual over the group.

The US is also one of the most powerful nations and often does what's most important for itself first in terms of policy, regardless of what other nations think.

What some of the people in these countries don't realize, is that a large numer of Americans don't have the attitude they dislike. There are nice Americans out there ;)
  7. Insane Anakin Jedi Master

star 4
    Whateva! We'll do what we want!

You mis-guided foreigners only wish you were like us! But you can't be! Until you apply for U.S. Citizenship! Which isn't hard to get! But then you'll be discriminated against! And you can't criticize leaders in power because that isn't patriotic! But you have 322 channels! Eat it!
  8. count_spooku Jedi Youngling

star 3
    you killed our canadian army ppl for no good reason because you thought you were someone elsethats stupid it was so ovious that he did now we were canadian.a bush only said oh im sorry canada.but i dont hate you america i only hate sometimes because you a little cocky
  9. darth_boy Jedi Master

star 7
    IA just proved our point about why some people hate Americans, and half of what he said made no sense or had nor relevance (channels?)
    I for one would never want an American passport, because im proud of my British one. Just to think other people are all desperate for one shows your arrogance as a complete prick
  10. FlamingSword Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    IA just proved our point about why some people hate Americans

In fewer words than I thought possible, and clearer than most of the stuff that's been said :p
  11. The1 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Well using the two people who posted like ignorant people from the US(InsaneAnakin and Dan) you could say thats why u hate us but I cant agree with everyone is dumb in the US and we dont care about everyone else, and taking a small portion of the people of the country and attributing that to the people as a whole is ridiculous. If any country is in trouble we will help them but yet they still show no gratitude. Such as South Korea, we(and the UN) saved them from communism but yet they show no thanks, and burn american flags. Spelling things different? That statment seems pretty ignorant to me, Im not even going to argue that one.
  12. darth_boy Jedi Master

star 7
    and FS proved that not all American are bad :)
    I didnt say all Americans were dum at all. Man the thins i said about spellins wasnt my feelings but that of others. and it is fact that many English people see your dialect as inferior
    BTW i wasnt trying to offend you. you wanted an answer an i gave you some possibilities
  13. GrandAdmiralPelleaon Force Ghost

star 6
    Right you "saved" them from communism.

::rolleyes::

I'm sure the North Koreans were thinking. "Damn , we couldn't "save" them from the filty capitalistic pigs.

And that thing about taking a small portion of people and attributing that to a whole.

Practice what you preach. You might want to start apologizing to the Canadians, French, Japanese and Germans right now.
  14. Darth Mulacki Force Ghost

star 5
    The1, you bombed the hell out of SK, millions died and the economy was destoyed. You call that saving them???.

-Mulacki
  15. darth_boy Jedi Master

star 7
    I would rather have my country peacfully become communist than see millions die, have it divided just for the sake of capitalism. and the US didnt save SK, for SK but just for the Red Scare and the Domino Theory that was raging in America. And again it wasnt America only in SK, we British were there too
  16. darth_boy Jedi Master

star 7
    Also think Vietnam, why were you there? To save the South Vietnamese? i dont think having millions of Vietnamese killed, and generations mutilated is a way of savng anyone.
    All i say by this is, the past has proven that American foreign policy has made them many enemies. Its sad but true

And about the passport, most Americans like WASP's did not ask the Red Indians if they were allowed in America.
  17. Dan Chosen One

star 6
    Okay, apparently you guys don't understand sarcasm. Me and IA both used this amazing concept in our posts in order to show you exactly why the world dislikes Americans.

I think a proper term for this discussion is illusory correlation. People see a few Americans, tourists usually, being the idiots that they are, and apply it to every American person. They ignore the information contrary to the stereotype such as the majority of Americans who are decent human beings in order to fuel the prejudice.

Take this for example: and it is fact that many English people see your dialect as inferior

[face_plain]. That's a pretty lame reason for disliking an entire group of people.

Now, I could apply the image I get of this particular user (which isn't too nice) and apply it to all British people, and forget about all the great Brits I know and the other great Brit posters we have here. That would be illusory correlation.

The American stereotype is blown way out of proportion, I think. If you lived here or visited here, you'd probably find that the stereotypes don't really hit the mark.
  18. Insane Anakin Jedi Master

star 4
    The fact that some people couldn't pick up on the fact that Dan's and my post were parody/sarcasm proves that we are a better nation.

WARNING: the above contained sarcasm
  19. The1 Jedi Knight

star 1
    I dont agree with Vietnam, there was no reason for us to be in Vietnam. Dont blame me for the U.S communism policy I wasnt even alive in the 50's-70's.
  20. darth_boy Jedi Master

star 7
    Sometimes sarcasm doesnt work, and i admit i was stupid for not noticing it.
    But now i say you are just as bad as me: about the language thing, that was NOT my opinion, and i said that a few times. please re-read what i said and you may notice i said it was the opinion of OTHERS
    The1 i dont blame YOU for Vietnam. i blame the senators of the time. Using Vietnam was just a example, as somebody mentioned SK. i said "Vietnam, why were you there! when i clealy should have said why was the US there. sorry
  21. Insane Anakin Jedi Master

star 4
    And where is all this hatred from Canada coming from? Besides the fact that we bombed some of your troops on accident. It wasn't on purpose! Hell, we do that stuff all the time. Our bad!

You folks are just America Jr. anyway!

Warning: the above contained sarcasm
  22. darth_boy Jedi Master

star 7
    LOL, i got it this time
  23. DarthBurns Force Ghost

star 4
    The American people are alright for the most part, its just some things piss me off no end.

Take Independence Day for example. Now I can't remember the exact quote, but it goes something like this:

English General: It's the Americans, they've found a way to defeat them!!!

It's the things like this in Hollywood and other places. You try to build yourself up to be a superior race to everyone else.

24. darth_boy Jedi Master

star 7
    yea most American are OK. its the stupid teen culture show in programs (that is either made up or exagerated). in particular those annoying phrases:
    "whateverrrr!", "speak to the hand..." etc
  25. FlamingSword Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    and FS proved that not all American are bad

Dan, Insane Anakin: I thought your sarcasm got the point across wonderfully. Of course, it helps to know that it's sarcasm :p

US international policies sometimes don't win friends. In some cases the US was right to do what it did, in some cases I wonder.

But I'm proud to be an American ;)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.