main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why do they hate us?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by The1, Jun 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediKnight_DanKenobi

JediKnight_DanKenobi Jedi Youngling

May 26, 2002
    well the first few replies have answerd your question u think your better than everyone else, i myself got nuthin againsed the USA

2. AJA

AJA Jedi Master star 4

Oct 13, 1998
    The question is too general. You'd have to specify someone who hates the US and then ask why that specific country or group of people feels the way they do.

I think there are some areas where others complain about the US legitimately, and others where their criticism is based on ulterior motives, or arguments that ought to be rejected.

Looking at history might help to clarify things. The US was barely involved in world affairs in the early 20th century, and not much of a military or economic power. We built ourselves into an industrial war machine to oppose the Germans and Japanese in World War II, and immediately afterward we found ourselves in the position of having to oppose the imperial communist agenda of the Soviet Union. That struggle ended only 10 years ago, and when it did, we found ourselves in a position we had never sought or expected.

Our response to the demise of the Soviet Union was to elect perhaps the most corrupt and incompetent Presidential Administration in the nation's history, and proceed to dive headlong into an obscene, society-wide orgy of materialism moral degradation, while ignoring everything that was going on in the world around us. It was during the 1990s that America's pride in its principles and accomplishments turned into arrogance cultural imperialism.

In general, I think many of those who hate us now hate us because they essentially feel that after all the talking we did about freedom and liberty during WWII and the Cold War, in the 1990s we either let them down, or proved that it was all a load of nonsense in the first place. The world looked to us to lead, and we led them into the gutter.

Having said that, there are also those who oppose us because of what the country legitmately has stood for since its inception, which is the notion that sovereignty lies not with a ruler or government, but with the people. People with political ideologies whose end result is totalitariansim, be it leftist radical movements or Islamic extremists, oppose us because our system itself stands in their way, and in those cases, we should take it as a point of pride that they hate us.

As I said, we abdicated our responsibility in the wake of the fall of the Soviet Union, and in that time the notion has been perpetuated that the United States is now an "empire" or that it "rules the world", which never was and never should be our goal. We opposed Naziism and Communism to preserve freedom and self-government, not to become the top dog on the planet and reap the spoils of victory.

Quite frankly, a part of me would be inclined to lift our military forces from Germany and Japan, and do everything we can to get Russia's substantial oil reserves flowing to market, so that there will once again be significant counter-balancing forces on the geo-political map, although I realize that might be asking for trouble.

In any event, our only objective abroad aside from protecting our own national security should be to do what we can to encourage others to take charge of their own governance, and to attempt to provide aid to those in need when we can do so effectively.

As it stands now, we are held responsible for eveything that happens on the planet, and we are criticized just as harshly when we act as we are when we don't act. Too many people, both inside the US and abroad, don't understand that America was never intended to be in this position, and that if it were to become the kind of imperial force some claim it already is, or think it should be by taking responsibility for everything that goes on in other countries, it would cease to be America. Having achieved this position of power, the only rightful thing to do in keeping with our principles is to give it up. The only question in my mind is how to go about doing so.

3. The1

The1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 21, 2001
    I agree our teen culture is not a good example of America. The things seen on MTV but America to shame. Most of the time the face seen by the rest of the world is our own fault, sometimes we only have ourselves to blame when the world sees us as dumb because of the programs we put out. I also agree with that we should pull out soldiers out of countries where it isnt neccessary and only return them if it is absolutely needed. But can u agree with me that America has done good for the world?

4. westford

westford Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    It's the 'we are superior' attitude shown by some that gets to me too. I've never visited America, so I have no idea if this the view of the majority, but it's shown in so many films that it gives that impression. For most of the world the only 'America' they get to see is the one shown at cinemas and on TV. And yes, I think other nations have a right to be upset about being portrayed as the bad guys all the time, or the poor little nation that can't defend itself without American help. Someone's mentioned communism already - what is so great about the political system in America that the rest of the world has to follow that model?

The other thing I find irritating is the way some Americans go on about their wonderful Constitution - "we have freedom of speech, we have the right to bear arms, etc..." Yeah, like no other country has freedom of speech... (<-sarcasm) And I'm glad there are strict gun controls in the UK - I don't particularly want to see another Dunblane massacre in my lifetime.

5. FlamingSword

FlamingSword Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    It's the 'we are superior' attitude shown by some that gets to me too. I've never visited America, so I have no idea if this the view of the majority, but it's shown in so many films that it gives that impression

It is an attitude held to a certain extent by some Americans. However, movies overportray the attitude by very very much. The majority of Americans don't have the "we are superior" attitude.

6. darth_boy

darth_boy Jedi Grand Master star 7

Apr 1, 2001
    When i went to America i actually thought the people were cool, but i did see a 20 minute infomercial on Dog Umbrellas, which i thought was very weird (especially because i was 8 years old)

7. Master-Jedi-Smith

Master-Jedi-Smith Jedi Padawan star 4

May 26, 2002
    Can we get back to why people hate the U.S.?

So far I have:

1. We feel we are better than anyone else. (We've only been around for 226 years. And in that amount of time look at all the accomplishments that have been made by Americans. Things like cotten gins, automobiles, telephones, airplanes, light bulbs, televisions, landing on the moon. One might take pride in the accomplishments of fellow country men. Especially if the rest of the modern world uses items invented by them. This could easy lead Americans to think of themselves as better.)

[I apologize if any of the above was actually invented in another country. I don't have a history book in front of me. If you did, way to go! :D ]

2. Our foreign policy.
    (We would not be a country if it had not been for the help of other countries. The English settled us here, and the French helped us win independence. In return, we as a nation, try to return this favor to the rest of the world. We may do harm in some instances, like in Vietnam or S.Korea, and sometimes we do good, like in WWII. We pretty much dug our own hole as the most powerful nation in the world by helping out others, but that is what an America/Democratic society is all about. The sad thing is that we are expected to help out everyone, but then get blamed by other countries if something goes wrong. Why don't they help out instead? And for those countries that do help out, I give a big THANK YOU!)

Oh, and don't forget the number one reason why Americans do the things we do: MONEY.

8. darth_boy

Apr 1, 2001
    3. doggy umbrella informercials. actually that made me like americans, i begged my dad to get me one, for my neighbours dog.

9. citizen-tom

citizen-tom Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2002
    I live just outside of Philadelphia, which obviously makes me an American. I am proud to be an American, however I do not agree with all U.S. policy. Also while I believe, that the United States of America is a very special nation, I believe that other nations are just as special as The United States, are just as advanced as The United States, and just as great as The United States. I am deeply saddend by the enormous shadow of stereotype that has been cast against our nation. This stereotype can be seen at a strongest proportion right here on this thread. Not all Americans are as you percieve them to be. Infact, less than 25% are the way you have described us, as I estimate. I live in a family, with morals and prayer, and great care and kindess for eachother and our community. Barely anyone that I know, with only a few, less pleasent exceptions are the way you have described them. Some of you have described our dialouge and intelligence as a means of hatred or dislike to our nation. Most every person I know is an intelligent communicator and thinker. One sad day, 4 planes, where hi-jacked, and driven into, One World Trade Center, Two world Trade Center, The Pentagon, and one which was headed towards CIA headquarters in Langley, Virginia, into a field in Pennsylvania. Soon some spoke with the opinion that the United States of America had deserved the attack. This is a horrible statement which enraged me! NO COUNTRY DESERVES THE DEATHS OF OVER 3,000 CITIZENS OF THEIR NATION! Some of the thoughts that crossed my mind where... Palastine: how is it that they swear out against the 'terrorism' they say has been brought against THEM, but they shoot guns in the air and parade at 3,000 U.S. deaths? Another thought was (dont mistake what I am saying) sadness for the hi-jackers. They hadnt been to America before, they didnt really know who we where. All they new where stereo-types in their most horrid form as passed to them by people such as Usama Bin Laden. In thier own heads they where taking part in the brave act of dying for religion, without knowing how horribly atrosious(spelling) the act had been. Also the deaths of the Canadian Soldiers by way of 'friendly fire' as they call it. There is no way that I could ever see any soldier doing this on purpose. The sorrow that President George W. Bush presented was truthful. And the case of any allied deaths in the 'War on Terror' they're were mournings and memorials in the U.S.
    Our problem with spelling words wrong???
    Spelling it Color instead of Colour??? Color is just the way we spell it in the U.S. we could rightfully claim that you spell it wrong! Colour instead of Color???? You see? It still troubles me deeply; the dislike and hatred of the United States Of America...

-Tom

10. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

GrandAdmiralPelleaon Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2000
    You know why people don't give thank you's to America? Because they constantly get this pushed into their face

"We saved your asses during WWII therefore you have no right to complain about our policies."

YOU did not SAVE anything. Your FATHER/GRANDFATHER HELPED in saving the world from Hitler but he did NOT do it all.

And the threadstarter just pushed that in my face again in another thread. I'm getting pretty annoyed about that after the 100x time.

11. darth_boy

Apr 1, 2001
    nobody deserves September 11th.

The language is English and we splet it colour, but who really cares?

12. AJA

AJA Jedi Master star 4

Oct 13, 1998
    YOU did not SAVE anything. Your FATHER/GRANDFATHER HELPED in saving the world from Hitler but he did NOT do it all.

This is an extremely valid point. The question is not what we did in the past, it is what we are doing today, and what we will do in the future.

I cannot stress enough how much the Clinton Administration is to blame for all of this, along with the media which propped them up, and anyone who voted for them.

13. FlamingSword

FlamingSword Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001

In fact if I remember correctly, the US hesitated for quite a long time before entering the war. Unlike other European countries and Canada. Of course some European countries ahd t go to war since they were being invaded :p

But the US did help in WWII. It's not like it did nothing. But then again, this was over 50 years ago, and people and policies have changed.

I cannot stress enough how much the Clinton Administration is to blame for all of this, along with the media which propped them up, and anyone who voted for them.

Errr, I'm lost. The Clinton Administration is to be blamed for what?

14. Master-Jedi-Smith

May 26, 2002
    I say the entire history of the U.S. is relevant. Without knowing about the past, we are doomed to make the same mistakes.

Oh, wait we do that anyway! :D

15. darth_boy

Apr 1, 2001
    The US wanted to make money first to get out of the great depression, by selling arms to the germans and the british, and after they had enough money entered the war. But yes we should focus on the present, but some people dislike America for the past.
    My dad went to Vietnam a few years ago and so there was actually no animosity towards the US, which is good to hear IMHO

16. AJA

AJA Jedi Master star 4

Oct 13, 1998
    The Clinton Administration is to be blamed for what?

The animosity towards the US around the world, the degradation of American society, and our vulnerability to the attacks on Sept. 11. This is not to say they did it on their own. The blame goes to anyone who supported them.

17. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    Why do people bring up our poor policy in Vietnam and S.K. if we cannot bring up our triumph in WWII?

If we're not going to bring up the past in this discussion, then we aren't going to bring up the past. Let's not make this an extremely one-sided debate.

18. citizen-tom

May 20, 2002
    WWII was a joint effort, Vietnam was Stupid, Hiroshima and Nagascki(spelling) where hiddeous, we understand.... we are not denying it, what you need to get is, DO NOT HATE THE AMERICANS, DISLIKE THE 10-20% OF AMERICANS WHO PORTRAY THE STEREO-TYPE.

WE ARE NOT ALL LIKE THE THINGS YOU SAY! MOST OF US ARE CARING AND KIND, GIVING PEOPLE, LIKE YOURSELVES!

-Tom

19. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

Oct 28, 2000
    Okay if I can say that we saved you from the British.

"Hey you Americans! without us you'd still be British slaves!"

Like to have that pushed in your face all the time?

20. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    Look at it this way. Yes, Americans are arrogant and apathetic towards other countries. Yes, our forein policy leaves much to be desired in some areas. But we are the only superpower left in the world. It could worse for you all. A whole lot worse. Unless you would prefer China to have the power that the US holds? Or Germany? Saudi Arabia? Israel? I think you can put up with America's slight arrogance. At least we're not invading you.

And we make the best movies. :p

21. citizen-tom

May 20, 2002
    No I definitley would not...

22. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

Oct 28, 2000
    I don't see what the problem would be with Germany...

23. Master-Jedi-Smith

May 26, 2002
    Our government is a reflection of our society. If the Clinton admin. did anything, it was done because of the "will" of the people (granted, the will of the people who have the most money.)

The majority of Americans enjoyed the 90's. The economy was good, and they didn't bother with "what if someone were to drive a plane into the WTC."

The Clinton admin. has nothing to do with why people hate America. It sounds more like your telling us why you hate the Clinton admin.

24. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    GAP: I don't know what I did to deserve such animosity. All I was saying is that if we weren't going to use past events in this discussion, then we shouldn't use pro-American or anti-American ones. It isn't a fair discussion if only one type is allowed.

25. darth_boy

Apr 1, 2001
    "WE ARE NOT ALL LIKE THE THINGS YOU SAY! MOST OF US ARE CARING AND KIND, GIVING PEOPLE, LIKE YOURSELVES!"

I agree

Also blaming the Clinton Administration is a one sided opinion

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.