Why do they hate us?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by The1, Jun 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ferelwookie Jedi Master

star 4
    This thread just took a turn toward the shallow end of the pool. [face_plain]
  2. Emilie Jedi Knight

star 3
    well obhavkenobithing, you've understand his point, c'mon...
    ;)
  3. malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA

star 7
    my actual knowledge of baseball is irrelevant

fact - its called the "World" Series
    fact - its not a world competition

people outside the US might find this arrogant, and hence a possible reason why they might not like you guys

the fact that American teams would destroy any other team is also irrevelant

M
  4. farraday Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Actually I think he's right.

If you're gonna make it a world series kick it open to everybody.

5. sleazo Jedi Master

star 4
    If you dont follow baseball why do you care what the name of its championship round is called.
  6. obhavekenobi78 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    "This thread just took a turn toward the shallow end of the pool."

Well, my mother always said, "Don't encourage him". You can thank KW for supplying the encouragement in the form of a smiley face. In any case Ferelwookie, will you sign my petition? I can PM it to you. Say the word.
  7. malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA

star 7
    if you changed its name you would look less arrogant, and show everyone that you realise there is a world outside of the United States - thats why.

People would be saying "oh look, Americans have finally realised there is a world outside, perhaps they are not as arrogant as we first thought"

M

edit : loads of posts on this thread have suggested that Amercians are disliked around the world for the lack of interest and understand of things outside America. This is highlighted in your use of the word "World" in your national baseball competition
  8. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    We know there is a world outside of us. I don't think anybody believes otherwise.

However, I tire of people saying that we have to make everything in this country suit everyone in other countries.

We should not have to please everyone.
  9. malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA

star 7
    We know there is a world outside of us.

see my previous post about Portugal being in Asia
  10. obhavekenobi78 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    KnightWriter,

They do that for us don't they? When elections are held in Germany, the primary concern is which candidate is willing to make various attempts at pleasing the United States.

Edit: Portugal IS in Asia isn't it? If not, we'll just drop some nukes to dislodge it from Spain and force-relocate them just off the shore of China. Then we will force them to play baseball and mock them because we know they stink at it. "Haha, look at the crappy baseball players!", is what we will say as we speed off in our huge, muffler-less SUV's. Years later we will blame the whole think on Italy, being shaped like a boot and all, I would think that they deserve it.
  11. ferelwookie Jedi Master

star 4
    "The world" hates us because (in MANY people's opinions) we are the most gluttonous, apathetic, pompous, polluting, wasteful, hypocritcal nation on the face of the earth right now...not because of trivial things like calling the world series, the WORLD series.

It's like hating someone just because of the color of their skin...REALLY STUPID. There's SO MANY MORE, better reasons to hate people (and us) than shallow stuff like skin color or the name of some sporting event! ;) Our foreign policy alone is enough to enrage at least 75% of the world!
  12. Emilie Jedi Knight

star 3
    C'mon guys, there is a montain between "doing everything to please the others" and "doing just the things that bother the others"!!!
    That's what Bush has been doing, face it!
    - Refuse Kyoto's treaty
    - Stand against the International court of Justice
    - stand against ONU's treaty about torture
    -... among others, I can't remember all but i do remember that most of the news I read about Bush pissed me off, lately!
    Is he conscious of his behavior?!!!

EDIT : ferelwookiee, marry me!
  13. malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA

star 7
    we are the most gluttonous, apathetic, pompous, polluting, wasteful, hypocritcal nation on the face of the earth right now...

oh, I agree, and I also agree that the title of a sporting event in the whole scape of things in next to irrevelant. However, I think it highlighted my point as a good example.

I find it amusing that what I posted a bascially a joke about 4 pages ago has caused this much heated debate. I'm sure if you had open attitudes you might have said "yes, perhaps calling it the "World" Series is inappropriate" and the debate would never have occured.

M
  14. obhavekenobi78 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I, for one, think the(Y) should rename it "The Uber-Universe Glutton Better-than-you Bowl".

Would that please you?
  15. malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA

star 7
    I watched some of the Glutton Bowl on TV. Not my sort of thing, but I saw that a little Japanese fellow won the competition. He was tiny, and didn't look like a champion food eater.

Nice to see the global representation though

M
  16. obhavekenobi78 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    MalkieD2,

I responded to your "Portugal" post, what have you to say now?

Edit: Fun Fact. Pedro Mascarenhas, a native of Portugal, invented the Macarena. It's named after him! Okay, that's a complete lie, but it sounds cool. I am done being an idiot for today. Going offline in 5...4...3...2...1...
  17. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    Is he conscious of his behavior?!!!

Are you aware that there are multiple sides to every story?
  18. malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA

star 7
    Portugal IS in Asia isn't it?

No, its in Europe.
  19. Emilie Jedi Knight

star 3
    well, i am returning the question to you, here.
    His he aware there is "HIS truth" and "the other's truth", and not "This is going vs evil, if you are not with us you are with the terrorists"
    How childish does THAT sound?!
    And what is your opinion about the couple examples I wrote before? you know, just above the "is he aware?..." sentence...
    I really would like to know!
  20. obhavekenobi78 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    You forgot to post the rest of it.

"Portugal IS in Asia isn't it? If not, we'll just drop some nukes to dislodge it from Spain and force-relocate them just off the shore of China. Then we will force them to play baseball and mock them because we know they stink at it. "Haha, look at the crappy baseball players!", is what we will say as we speed off in our huge, muffler-less SUV's. Years later we will blame the whole think on Italy, being shaped like a boot and all, I would think that they deserve it."
  21. Ramalal Jedi Padawan

I'm curious to know the other side of the story...

22. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    And what is your opinion about the couple examples I wrote before? you know, just above the "is he aware?..." sentence...
    I really would like to know!

My opinion is that there are multiple sides and ways to look at things. There has been a great deal of disagreement about the Kyoto treaty, the Justice Court, and so on.

It isn't so one-sided as you might like to believe.

23. Ramalal Jedi Padawan

In a fact, it seem to be the U.S side stroy and the rest of the world side story...

I'm really curious to know what's the "great deal of disagreement"...

24. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    Read through some old threads in the Senate and I'm sure you'll see some examples of it.
  25. Ramalal Jedi Padawan

Where can i find it ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.