main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why do we never see Vader use lightening?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Big_Chewie_fan, Jun 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big_Chewie_fan

Big_Chewie_fan Jedi Youngling star 1

May 6, 2003
    is it because "he is more machine than man?"

2. J-Solo

J-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Oct 6, 1999
    Or because he was a Jedi once?

Maybe he just prefers to choke people to death. :)

3. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    I think it's because he prefers to choke people.

4. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    Yeah that or the fact that the lightning would short out his suit, thus he would die.

5. Big_Chewie_fan

Big_Chewie_fan Jedi Youngling star 1

May 6, 2003
    But dooku was a Jedi also. I think it has to be the suit. Or maybe it takes a certain amout of tissue to generate some of the more advanced powers. I don't believe that the force flows through metal. The force doesn't care about crude matter but it won't flow though man made items.

6. Master_Y-wing

Master_Y-wing Jedi Master star 4

Mar 1, 2003
    Or maybe he didnt wanna ruin is really cool gloves! :D

7. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    He preferred choking people.

8. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    Gotta go with the crowd that says he preferred choking people. Lightning doesn't seem like his way of doing things. Vader's too precise to use that sort of attack.

And I don't think it would shortcircuit his suit. It isn't actual electricity.

"I don't believe that the force flows through metal. The force doesn't care about crude matter but it won't flow though man made items."

The Sith don't obey the Force, the Force obeys them, and so he COULD use it, if he wanted to. (If he even knows HOW. ;))

9. JBRO_13

JBRO_13 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 1, 2002
    I think he didn't use it because Dooku messed him up with it earlier in his life. It's kinda like, if Tigers attacked you when you were little, and you got older and owned your own zoo, and they asked whether you would want Tigers or Bears, you'd pick Bears because, well, Tigers traumatized you. Granted, lightning isn't an entity, but, it's the principle.

10. -_-_-_-_-_-

Apr 28, 2002
    And I don't think it would shortcircuit his suit. It isn't actual electricity.

Lightning is electricity no matter what the source, whether it be the Force or a storm cloud.

11. Jedi_Master201

May 5, 2001
    Good point....

But my point was that this is more like pure dark side energy, and I don't see how that could short out his suit anymore than Force choking someone could.

12. Angel_Blue01

Angel_Blue01 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 28, 2001
    Notice how only Dooku and Palpatine use force lightning?

I think you have to have a certain level of skill with the force. Obviously Palpatine did. And Dooku was a former Jedi Master, and a powerful one at that.

13. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    Force lightning is ejected from a Sith's fingertips, as viewed by Palpatine and Dooku. Vader always has to wear those gloves on his hands. If he shot out force lightning, it would probally get trapped inside his gloves and electricute him to death. Chances are, Vader would shoot force lightning if he could, but he can't because he'd hurt or kill himself in the process.

14. Darth_Deagol

Darth_Deagol Jedi Master star 2

Dec 22, 2002
    My boots have soles that are rated for work with electrical equipment. They have an impendence of something like 10 million Ohms. Luke should have had boots like mine because if sith lightning is nothing by regular old electricity the solution would be this simple.

Basically I don't think that sith lightning is electricity. And I think that Anakin preferred to choke people.

15. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    Basically I don't think that sith lightning is electricity. And I think that Anakin preferred to choke people.

Well, if you recall from ROTJ, when Vader was holding onto Palpatine and throwing him down the shaft, we see lots of smoke and some sparks and electrical currents inside of Vader's suite, so I think it is electricity.

16. -_-_-_-_-_-

Apr 28, 2002
    The result of Vader throwing Palpatine down the power reactor core in ROTJ, his suit and breathing systems are shorted, only proves my theory even more so.

17. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Force lightning is ejected from a Sith's fingertips, as viewed by Palpatine and Dooku.

Yeah, that's how Palpy and Dooku did it, but it doesn't prove it's the only way Force lightning can be generated. It seems to me that since the Force is everywhere, it shouldn't care which body part you choose to shoot lightning from. Maybe it's even possible to shoot lightning at someone remotely from the other side of a room.

Palpy was obviously going for dramatic effect when he laid the smackdown on Luke, so he did it the scariest-looking way possible.

18. lorn_zahl

lorn_zahl Jedi Master star 4

Oct 19, 2002
    I think we'll see Vader shoot lightning out of his fingertips in EpIII, its only when he loses most of his body, thats when he can't do it because it would threaten his life(short circuit). This is my theory and it coincides with how he died, that little bit of lightning would be nothin for Luke but it made it short out his life support system. I know one arm is robotic, but how about the other? We know he has robo legs, but does he have a left arm? If he does, then I guess its possible. But i doubt it because its hooked up to his iron lung/computer.

Does Vader use his hands to force choke, or is it just symbolic?

19. DarthLeia

DarthLeia Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 15, 2002
    It would fry his life support suit out.

It would be suicide for Vader to even try using it.

20. Just_Joe

Just_Joe Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 9, 2002
    Besides the fact that it would short circut his suit, I dont think Anakin ever really how to use it! But thats just my guess.

21. kingthlayer

kingthlayer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 7, 2003
    In ATOC, when Dooku tried to use his lightning on Ob1, it was blocked by Ob1's lightsaber, which I'm sure Anakin saw.

Maybe Vader figured that Kenobi, years later, still remembered to block the bolts with his saber. Maybe he also thought that since Luke was under Kenobi's wing, that this knowledge was passed down to Luke as well. therefore he never bothered to use the lightning at all because his opponents knew how to deflect the damage?

ofcourse he prob just didnt learn how to.

22. Ret

Ret Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 17, 1999
    I think it would be impossible to do without wrecking his suit.

23. lorn_zahl

lorn_zahl Jedi Master star 4

Oct 19, 2002
    How would he not shortcircuit? If he could control electricity enough to shoot it out of his fingertips, then why did that short little burst from the Emporer short out his suit?

It won't work.......... we will see Vader using lightning in EpIII, I guarantee it!

24. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    If he could control electricity enough to shoot it out of his fingertips, then why did that short little burst from the Emporer short out his suit?

Because Palpy's blast was actually going into Vader's suit, while Force lightning Vader himself generated wouldn't have had to originate there. The lightning isn't going through the hands of the person who shoots it - no one would be able to do it if that were the case.

25. Jedi_Master201

May 5, 2001
    Besides that, I'm sure Palpy upped the voltage when he realized Vader was about to kill him. Doesn't necessarily mean the suit was ruined.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.