Why do we only see humanbuilt jedis fight?

Discussion in 'Attack of the Clones' started by Zizou87, Mar 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zizou87 Jedi Knight

Exept Yoda all the Jedi in the Arena battle and battle after have a humanoid (is that a word?) built body.

I mean in the jedi council scenes you see a jedi who looks like a octopus, why couldn't we see him fight? When you saw all those funny looking alien jedis in TPM you wanted to see them in action!

Is Lucas too lazy to use them in battle?
  2. Tyranus_the_Hutt Jedi Master

star 4
    Uhhhh.....what? I'm sorry, but I just don't understand what you're talking about; you will have to rephrase that so that it appears to be more comprehensible. I think that I know what you're saying...

Anyhow, it didn't bother me that we didn't see any sort of alien creatures with multiple appendages in full combat - I really don't understand why this is even an issue, to be completely honest. I am more or less satisfied with what Lucas displayed in the arena sequence, even though I felt that the scene went on for far too long.

Is Lucas too lazy to use them in battle?

No, he was simply preoccupied with devising ways in which to present the Death Star plans in an overbearing or "stupid" manner.:p
  3. Bacon164 Force Ghost

star 7
    I haven't even thought of that until now. Let's see Poof fight!

EDIT: Tyranus, are you British?
  4. Matt-trooper Jedi Knight

star 3
    Poofs Dead.

Maybe there are some species that are Jedi that aern't really suited to fighting and are more focused on negotiating and tactics like Oppo Rancisis,the alien with the tentacles.He is one of the Jedis best tacticians.
  5. Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, biology-wise, the humanoid form is a fairly well-rounded body shape that tends to be fairly versatile and functional in many different environments, so it wouldn't surprise me to assume most higher species would evolve to such a shape...

...but for the answer of AOTC, it likely has to do with the limitations and excessive costs of the technology required to create such scenes and the focus of the story. Most of the Council is humanoid, despite a few like Master Rancisis, who are only really seen in the comic, if I remember correctly. The reasoning behind it is fairly logical. In order to show these characters in battle and make it look halfway decent, you'd likely have to turn to CGI. CGI, as I'm sure we all know, can be pretty damn expensive. It requires hours of modeling and design just to create the character, then the setup with movement and action against a bluescreen, and then the animation process where everything's combined. That's an awful lot of time-consuming work to put into minor characters. Thus, Lucas turns to the best alternative - characters humanoid enough in shape to be played by human actors, while placed in enough costume and makeup to appear alien. It works to cut the time and costs of creating CGI models and allows for a realistic battle scene, all while appearing exotic enough not to be a human-filled battle.
  6. DarthDork Jedi Master

star 2
    Yeah, like that Jedi tree from Dark Empire. I bet he'd be smokin muthafreakas like it ain't no thizzang.

Believe Dat.
  7. Matt-trooper Jedi Knight

star 3
  8. darth_Boba Force Ghost

star 4
    [image=http://www.theforce.net/timetales/tt4-4/DEII2.JPG]
    [image=http://www.starwars.jp/character/image/ood_bnar_2.jpg]

[sev]He's a Jedi...who's a tree.[/sev]
  9. Matt-trooper Jedi Knight

star 3
    [face_laugh][face_laugh]

And that,is why I choose to ignore a lot of EU.

10. Juke Skywalker Chosen One

star 5
    ^ [face_laugh] LOL! Me too! Somewhere in Eu there
    is a Horse who flys X-Wings. No kidding. Silliest
    thing I've ever seen.

Anyway, I don't advocate Muppett on Muppett viloence,
    so I'd just assume leave the dueling to the humans.

(Yes that includes Yoda's turn as "Super Frogger" in AOTC)
  11. Matt-trooper Jedi Knight

star 3
    Yeah I saw that in some book.
    God it looked dumb.
  12. NeoBaggins Jedi Grand Master

star 5

I have pondered this also. In TPM you see all these alien species on the council and you say "Hey, thats cool". Then you get to the Jedi in action and the only aliens are startrek aliens: Humans with make-up.

It would have been nice to see that fuzzy Jedi with the tail or Yareal Poof. I can see why Yaddle is not there. They wouldnt want to downplay Yodas scene by having another green monkey bouncing around. They should have thought about that when it came to degrading Palpatines force-lightening when they decided to give it to Dooku.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.