main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why do X-Wing pilots wear orange? - The Star Wars question thread

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by gundarkhunter, May 9, 2009.

1. DieWompRatDie

DieWompRatDie Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2008
    My Star Wars question is:

Why didn't everybody totally freak out and melt down when Luke turned off his targeting computer. They just kind of looked around..like popcorn was burning or something..not like they were about to have a planet blasted out from under them and they're last hope turned off the machinery built to help him blow up the Death Star.

I would have been like, "Oh, my God! We're all gonna die! What's his frakkin problem?!?" Princess Leia, is like, "Hmm...did I leave the stove on?"

2. gundarkhunter

gundarkhunter Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 2, 2008
    Imminent destruction of the moon, lives, Alliance leadership and equipment notwithstanding, how could they even let a farmboy fly one of their best fighters? If there was shortage of pilots, why is it we saw so many at the award ceremony? As cool as Biggs is, does his recommendation carry that much weight?

They must have been pretty frakkin' desperate. As for why they didn't start freaking out...maybe they didn't expect Luke to succeed anyway and had already loaded up on Valium or something in peparation for the end of the world er, moon.

"wow. the bad guys are about to win. bummer. oh hey luke man, you switched off your..ummm.. targeting...um...thingy...everything okay, dude?"

Seriously, Maybe Luke used the Force right then. Perhaps, even though he'd had very little Jedi training (How long is that flight to Alderaan, anyway?), when he said "It's okay. I'm alright" it was just enough to keep everyone from freaking out. Maybe he planted the image of burning popcorn in everyone's mind to distract them. Or blue glowy Ben did.

Sadly, that feeble answer is the best I can come up with.

3. QueenHighMistress

QueenHighMistress Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    I think it was based on a Japanese crane crest, like in the second row, #2 & 4 here.

4. ZOOfo-Dyas

ZOOfo-Dyas Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I always thought the Rebel Crest was nothing more than SW version of the symbol of the Phoenix. And instead of the head of a bird, it was a spire, rising up from the fires of tyranny... Or some junk like that. ;)

5. QueenHighMistress

May 8, 2005
    Why, Zoo, I do believe you're screwing with me! :p

Do the Rebels also lovingly refer to their symbol as "Jean?"

6. catz44

catz44 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Why do people hate ewoks?
    I think they are cute, and cuddly.........as long as they dont eat you......[face_thinking]

7. gundarkhunter

gundarkhunter Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 2, 2008
    Because they're cute and cuddly and they want to eat you. [face_mischief]

8. Taeriel

Taeriel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    Good point! *shrug* Maybe they figured that there wasn't much they could do at that point? I mean, what could they do? Yell at Luke about the targeting computer in the 5.7 seconds they had before the Death Star fired?

9. FanForced

FanForced Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2007
    Because they're cute and throw rocks, and somehow manage to win with just those 2 tactics. It's like growing up with a little sister.

10. SITH__CHICK

SITH__CHICK Former RMFF CR star 7

Mar 25, 2002
    That & they have to smell!

11. catz44

Jul 25, 2004
    [face_thinking] Maybe they are like cats and clean themselves....[face_thinking] [face_plain]

12. Jedi_Knight_Birr

Jedi_Knight_Birr Retired RSA star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2002
    you really want to think of an ewok licking itself down there ?

13. QueenHighMistress

May 8, 2005
    Um, yeah. I think they bathe in lakes and rivers....

14. SITH__CHICK

Mar 25, 2002
    IF they bathe???? Maybe they just roll in dirt?

15. catz44

Jul 25, 2004
    they may not understand the need for cleanliness..........but I dont think they stink. I dont remember in any of the movie that anyone comments on that......and you would if they were stinky...

16. SITH__CHICK

Mar 25, 2002
    Yeah but that was Hollywood & they were actors 'being' ewoks, whole different story there. Now real Ewoks would stink!

17. catz44

Jul 25, 2004
    true..........I think tuskins would smell worse.

18. SITH__CHICK

Mar 25, 2002
    And Hutts smell worse.

19. catz44

Jul 25, 2004
    Oh yeah! Or Rancor.......

20. SITH__CHICK

Mar 25, 2002
    If the Sarlacs Pit burbed??? That would be [face_sick]

21. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
  22. -Gundark-

-Gundark- Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 1, 2010
    Thank you :)

So my question is...

If it's true that only a Sith deals in absolutes-

1) Why does Yoda tell Luke that if once he starts down the down the dark path, forever will it dominate his destiny? Sounds pretty absolute to me, especially consdering the fact that Luke has some pretty close brushes with the Dark Side and EU Luke definitely takes a stroll down that path.

2) Doesn't the sentance begining with "only" mark Obi Wan as a Sith anyway? If "Only" a sith deals in absolutes?

Oh, and one more...

Why did the Rebellion trust a whiney farm boy with a little Skyhopper experience with a 65,000 credit starfighter? Were they really that hard up for pilots?

23. -Gundark-

Apr 1, 2010
    Anyone know what the correct pronunciation of Ghes Orade is?

24. QueenHighMistress

May 8, 2005
    1) Oh, delicious irony.... I think Yoda didn't know as much about the Force as he thought he did.

2) That tricksy Obi-Wan. He's always saying stuff that's not necessarily true. [face_whistling]

I'm guessing some of the higer-up had a long memory and the Skywalker name made them hopeful that he was a great pilot. And really, what did they have to lose at that point, with the Death Star bearing down on them?

25. -Gundark-

Apr 1, 2010
    Hrmmmm...that's an interesting thought. I'm sure Anakin was a pretty famous dude before he joined the dark side. It's a wonder that Luke didn't meet people all the time who knew his father once they heard his last name.

Also, still trying to find correct pronunciation of Ghes Orade. Jess or Guess and Ore-aid or Or-odd-eh? Anyone read the Legacy books? Anyone? Bueller?